Topic

First Thread – [Video] – Packing the Zpacks Exo for UL Hammock Camping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping First Thread – [Video] – Packing the Zpacks Exo for UL Hammock Camping

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    JAMES LARSON

@r00k

Locale: East Coast

Hi guys, I'm pretty sure this is my first thread (if not my first post) – I'm usually here to receive input, and I've learned some things to help get me to the point where I have a little to give back. The hammock thread doesn't get much love – and I love the hammock – so I thought this would be a good place to start. Here's a video of how I pack the Zpacks Exo for a typical (non-cold weather) backpacking trip. My base-weight (no fuel, food, water, or clothing worn) is usually just above or just under 6lbs depending on the length of the trip.

Thanks for watching!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Nice job! Thanks for sharing. I find it interesting hat you keep your hammock suspension pieces in the hipbelt pocket.

JAMES LARSON

@r00k

Only the tree straps and Dutch Buckles go in the hip-belt, the whoopie slings remain attached to my Nano 7. I keep them there with my tarp suspension. Since I have a poncho tarp it's important to be able to access my tarp suspension and hang my tarp quickly, and keep myself out of the rain. Eventually I realized the next step was almost always hanging my hammock. My straps are right there, once they're around the tree I pull out my hammock (which has the TQ/UQ, and either Winter or Bug Sock already attached) from it's dry sack and hook the whoopies to the dutch buckles and I'm done. I want to do some long distance backing next year so quick set-ups/tear-downs will be important to getting those miles done a little faster.

Ceph Lotus
    BPL Member

@cephalotus

Locale: California

Excellent video! Thanks for sharing!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Man that is a sexy pack. I been eyeballin that hammock tarp (w/doors) too.

Thanks

Johnny Duke

@jd1987

Yea that video was pretty cool. I like the style. How do you like your nano 7? I've heard it's close to too small for people over 5'4"

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Excellent! You covered packing, gear list, and a kit with a hammock stowed, which I don't think I have seen done before. Great editing too.

Now, tell us more about your poncho tarp with the hammock. Do you hang the poncho on the diagonal or square? What size is the poncho? I see that you have a Nano 7 hammock which is a little shorter than most.

I use an XL Hennessy Cape tarp for my "light" hammock version, but I haven't worn it in the rain yet. I also have a silnylon under cover (a SuperShelter clone) that is also a poncho.

JAMES LARSON

@r00k

Thanks guys!

I actually responded to a question on a thread over at Hammockforums.net – a user asked if at 6ft he was too tall for a Nano 7. My response was that at 5'9 – I consider my height to be the limit for comfort in the Nano, but several members 6ft tall or taller claimed comfort with no issues. I don't think I'd get a Nano if I were that tall, but hyoh right? Grand Trunk UL is only a few ounces heavier and much cheaper ($18).

My poncho tarp was a custom job by Joe at Zpacks, it's a scaled down version of his Hammock Tarp with Doors, fit for the Nano 7. It's also a poncho, so he used the 0.74 black cuben that he uses for his rain gear. It weighs 8.7 ounces seam sealed, and it's dimensions are 10' Ridgeline x 5' baseline x 7' width.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Grand Trunk UL is wider than the Nano 7 too– you lay on the diagonal, so width is important. IIRC, the fabric alone for the GTUL is 9oz and it works fine with Amsteel whoopie slings in the end channels for suspension. You can use large carabiners in the end channels a la Nano 7, but it just adds weight. For those who sew, whipping up a light hammock from 1.1oz ripstop nylon is a 30 minute operation.

The poncho tarp is a very interesting design. I never would have guessed it would be that long. I take it that you have to tuck some material under and secure it, like the Gatewood Cape?

The Hennessy Cape is a 69"x 110" parallelogram and 137"x 120" on the diagonal, weighing 11.8oz. It is pitched asymmetrically, so it doesn't have the nice end protection that a squared-off tarp with doors would offer.

JAMES LARSON

@r00k

I'm working on a video review of the Hammock Poncho/Tarp, but in the mean time, here's a video of a hammock challenge sponsored by the author of "The Perfect Hang" started over at HammockForums. I didn't follow the rules exactly, but the video is of me trying to set up, and take down my rig as quick as I could.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools