Topic

Where will BPLers be for the August 2017 total eclipse?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Where will BPLers be for the August 2017 total eclipse?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    RVP
    BPL Member

@tunaboy999-2

Locale: Mid Atlantic
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Coastal Oregon. After a trip to Crater Lake

Of course this is dependent on being here after 2012.lol.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Since, if I'm still here, I'll be 81, I'll worry about that when the time comes.

I notice that the total eclipse area crosses the Wind Rivers a bit south of Elkhart Park, which means that the northern Winds would be a perfect place to see the eclipse! Since it will start about 4:15 pm there, some place that has a good view west would be the best. Of course the usual afternoon thunderstorms could block the whole thing–too bad the eclipse isn't in the morning!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

For the total eclipse of 1991, I was sitting at 12,000 feet elevation on the side of the Mauna Loa Volcano. It was around 7:30 a.m., and from my high position I could see the shadow of the moon sweeping across the Pacific Ocean.

Unfortunately, many of the other eclipse watchers in Hawaii were down low around the coastline, and they were clouded out.

–B.G.–

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

> Since it will start about 4:15 pm there (Wind River Range)

Note the times on the site are UT. The total eclipse will actually occur near 11:30 AM in the Winds (-6 UTC during daylight savings). The partial starts at 10:15.

Might be a nice time to try the Teton Crest Trail.

I see the "greatest eclipse" is just 3 hours directly south of me but I think I'd prefer to be up high. I bet the balds in the Smokies will be packed.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Alliance NE

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Ack, didn't notice the UTC, thought it was local time. There's a lot bigger chance of clear skies at 11:30 am local time in the Winds!

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Since this was the thread that started it for me, I figured I’d post here. As mentioned in another thread, in the end I decided on the Winds. My trip report

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools