Topic

Singer 4423 Heavy duty

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Singer 4423 Heavy duty

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Does anyone have experience with this machine? I have a Singer 401a Slant-o-Matic and was looking for another machine for a backup. Joann's has them on sale now for $169.00 until the 23rd of Nov. I seen a thread here on BPL that they were selling on ebay for $148.95 for a refurbished one, for the extra $20.00 I'll buy a new one, if it's a decent machine. The YouTube video shows a guy sewing from one layer all the way up to 16 layers without any hesitation, it even sewed through a wooden yard stick without missing a beat. Just wanted to see if anyone has used one, and if so what they liked or disliked about the machine.
    Thanks, Jack

Wade Ford
    BPL Member

@cwford

Locale: NTX

They have them on Amazon.com for $129

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I too saw the 4423 at Joann's yesterday for $169.99 on sale. Came home to find the same machine at Amazon and Newegg for $129.99. After struggling with my mom's hand-me-down Kenmore Model 1937 Zig*-Zag and how it seems to snap thread or not advance on thicker fabric near tie-outs, I think I'm in the market for a burlier machine.

After watching the Youtube videos mentioned where a yard stick is successfully sewn I know that it won't have troubles with tough fabrics. How will it do for extremely thin/slippery fabrics such as 1.1oz silnylon or even 20D/10D/8D/7D fabrics? Can it do both with ease or is this machine more suited for sewing denim and canvas?

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Yeah, the YouTube videos are pretty crazy. If this machine can do all that, I'm in for one, just wish someone on here could give me some hands on feed back on how they actualy do work.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Some pretty unflattering reviews on Amazon.

I would not buy a Singer

My kids have a new Singer and it is a POS

They are not the machines they once were.

Landon Kramer

@lando

I have one of the singer HD machines. Overall it's not a bad machine, but I am not a huge fan of the feed on it. It seems to not like thinner fabrics and hates silnylon.
    I hate the pedal control. It is way too stiff and has very little space between not moving and full speed.
    If I were in the market I would try to find a local sewing machine repair shop and get their input based on what you want to use it for. That may not be an option, but give it a shot if possible. Like many things, you get what you pay for with these machines.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools