Topic

Who does not love a cigar in the woods?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Who does not love a cigar in the woods?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    Chase Norton

@micronorton

cigar
    weight

This idea came to me after I enjoyed a nice cigar and a homeless man asked if he could have the case because "they are great to use!" Pondering on what he meant, I thought of the possibilities. It has a screw on top, a thin wood lining on the inside (can be removed) and felt pretty lightweight. I submerged it in my sink for 30sec, unscrewed it and the wood lining was 100% dry. Throwing it on my scale it weighed in at 8.6grams. Removing the wood lining, it came in at 7.2g. What will I use this for? Along the trails in Hawaii there are various berries, namely the Ohelo berry. Problem always is they get crushed when you try to collect them, but not anymore. When it is full, start seriously munching.

All this berry collecting will of course be after I enjoy the cigar somewhere along the trail.

I am sure there are many other uses.

Map storage since it is water proof
    Lightweight Flask (151 needed of course)
    Bug collector to eat later
    Just tested out the sharpness of the cap when unscrewed and can cut cooked meat
    I feel like I am stretching with a trowel.
    Hell, just as an easy organizer for first aid/hygiene/fire starter.

At 0.25oz, for the case, and 0.52g with a cigar, it will be in my pack next trip!

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Mmm… A trail cigar! Probably a lot lighter than my pipe and everything associated.
    Who cares about the case! Not a cigar guy though. Got any recomendations?
    Ok, the case seems like it has some value. A lot lighter than unshaped coke bottles.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"Who does not love a cigar in the woods?"

Monica Lewinsky?

Hillary?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Right into chaff. Good job David.

So what are you going to use the container for?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Titanium tent stakes might fit in the container?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Who does not love a cigar in the woods ?,/b>
    I would say most… in fact if you lit a cigar next to me, I would walk away.
    However "most" would probably just put up with it…

Anyway, it looks like a 7" type , but I do have 5" Ti nail stakes that 4 could likely fit in there.
    Franco

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Locale: Mid-Minnesota

Use the tube to share your Scotch while enjoying the cigar with friends. :-)

Keith Bassett

@keith_bassett

Locale: Pacific NW

http://microlightwings.com/blog/don-diego-ultralight-alcohol-stove.html

Make one of these bad boys after properly disposing of the cigar. :-)

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

A cigar in the woods is about as appealing to me as ice cold water poured down my back. No thanks, and please don't smoke around me. Smokers don't realize that their sense of smell is shot, and their clothes, breath and hair have absorbed the odor of stale smoke, which they can't smell but everyone else can.

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

popcorn, get your popcorn ;)

Chase Norton

@micronorton

My most sincere and heartfelt apologies to everyone who reads subjects without a care to the message content. Clearly, next time a more appropriate subject would be "A 7.2g waterproof metal tube with endless applications". This way nonsmoker's blood pressure would stay low enough for them to continue reading further and realize what I am actually trying to discuss. Again, my bad.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

I find it pretty hilarious when car drivers complain about people smoking. You are pumping 10 times the amount of these toxins into my lungs while I am on my bike. But anti-smoking militancy is the cause de-jour among the population right now.

Sweet tube.

Phillip Colelli
    Spectator

@pdcolelli42

Locale: AT, follow@ www.thruperspective.com

I understand the fear of second hand smoke and what not… but seriously I bet my BO will smell more than a single cigar out on the trail.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

But anti-smoking militancy is the cause de-jour among the population right now.

Hmm, that is how you, personally, feel about it. I don't like smoke… the smell, the way it hurts my eyes and gives me a headache, the way it makes everything I am wearing smell like smoke, the unhealthiness of it, the fact that when I tell someone to please not blow the smoke in my direction so often makes them take offense… It's very simple; I don't like it. And many, many other people don't either. I don't see why they have to put up with it, especially for something so totally unnecessary and mobile. If someone was Farting a lot around you would you simply accept it and say it was okay? And it is not a "cause du-jour". I've felt this way for 40 years now. So has everyone else I know who has never liked smoking.

I have nothing against people smoking if they want to… just don't do it where I have to participate in it, or, better yet, wear a glass helmet and you can smoke inside there to your heart's content.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

The woods are not a crowded hotel lobby. I'm not sure why people are complaining that they don't like being around people smoking in a thread about being in remote wilderness.
    I think a cigar would be nice in the woods. I don't think it's gross at all.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

On that point, Justin, I will concede, as long as it's not in a camp close to someone who is smoking a cigar… which puts out a lot of smoke.

You probably don't know, though, that by living in Japan I am very badly subjected to awful amounts of smoke everywhere I go. Only recently has smoking been banned on trains, train platforms, and public lobbies. But most restaurants and coffee shops and other gathering places are still very much clogged with smoke. And this being Japan, you can't say anything about it. So I get pretty frustrated when I get out to the wilderness and in the crowded campsites there (you often don't have the option of camping elsewhere… it is often illegal), have to put up with the camper not 2 meters away smoking.

Phillip Colelli
    Spectator

@pdcolelli42

Locale: AT, follow@ www.thruperspective.com

I myself don't smoke cigarettes, but I'd enjoy a cigar and what not occasionally. The smoke from cigarettes can be bothersome even to me if someone is close enough. I never really gave much thought that smokers may take offense if you asked them not to smoke around you. I think it's totally acceptable to make that request.

I like to do whatever I want and I'd assume everyone else likes to do what they want as well but I suppose we must not do so at the expense of others.

Chase Norton

@micronorton

We are all avid lovers of the outdoors. Why are you going on about how much you hate smoking and the smell and on and on? Yes, many people don't smoke and many people don't like the smell of smoke. Got it. Not new. I will never be around you when I enjoy my cigar mainly because I hike solo and in regions where no one else can be found for miles. Yes, that person is being inconsiderate for smoking next to you at a camp site, but jesus, that is not what this thread is about. I've changed the title to remove confusion and reduce the snap of anger that it seemed to create.

Ben Whitsett

@benwhitsett

I hate cigarette smoke too!!!!

LMAO Just kidding!!!

I'm all in for the cigar after a nice long day of hiking!

Peter Treiber
    BPL Member

@peterbt

Locale: A^2

I can't quite figure out from this story whether the OP let the homeless guy have the case…

Nick E.

@traletrasch

Locale: PNW

These Guys did the PCT last year and frankly, a couple of them smoke like chimneys.
    I've never understood smoking and hiking (or biking for that matter) even though i have friends who pedal more miles on theyre metal steeds as courriers downtown than i'll ever do recreationally, all the while puffin' down a pack per diem. that just doesnt work for me. bottom line if they arent blowin it in your face and you let them know it bothers you (given they're being respectful as can be), all you can really do is mind your own and don't condone it…we dont need our peers killing themselves:/ its an unfortunate addiction.
    Cigars? Cigarettes? No Thanks.
    Now last season's PCT thru-hikers were smoking something entirely different, that which i have no quams of it being smoked in our backcountry. perhaps people flamed up on this subject should try smoking a bit more of that on the trail, eh?

David Maxwell
    BPL Member

@davidmaxwell

Locale: eastern, tn

I'll be passing out "Its A Girl" cigars on wednesday morning!!! Hopefully the first stop on the way home from the hospital is the AT. I want to get a good picture by a blaze for her.

eric lansford
    BPL Member

@papasherpa

Locale: PNW

I love a cigar at the end of the day. Sitting by the campfire (down-wind of everyone) and light up – cigar in one hand – small amount of whiskey in the other…. wonderful conclusion to a day on the trail.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Not me, but my buddy does. Trail name: BIG TOBACCO.
    boss

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

the only use i have found for the tubes is in model railroading to make a refinery… i wouldn't put food in them. i'm moving away from cigars over to pipe tobacco. much less waste and a much different smoking experience.

now i just need to find an ultralight comfy chair

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools