Topic

NeverWet superhydrophobic spray on coating

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) NeverWet superhydrophobic spray on coating

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

I remember reading this on a site for the new razr droid…

"A force field of water-repellent nanoparticles shields the phone against water attacks — even the electrical boards inside."

Is NeverWet already out there?

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

Holding judgement until the product actually hits the market… too many "coming soon" products never see the light of day.

But if it works, and it's safe, and it's clean, and it's durable… wow… Lots of possibilities.

Coat the underside of your tarp or tent to avoid condensation? Maybe leave the corners of the vestibule untreated so condensation is attracted to areas you're not sleeping under?

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

You are right. Many things are advertised to the market but in the end they never live up to the claims and don't get released to the market. And as another poster noted, often the videos of product X are the best of many trys; they probably shot many videos trying to get the one that they actually release to the public. On the positive side, I'm glad that they are working on technology like this. Good to see R&D working toward better products.

Conner D

@cdipaolo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqGkC5uJ0yM
    I think that's what he was trying to share

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

For posting that link.

I had a demo for TexCote and the guy doing the demo showed me a white fine almost dusty or fluffy material. They include it in the coating for waterproofness. Anyway, he had me dip my finger in it then put my finger in a glass of water. Looking through the glass, you could see how my finger had a bubble or sphere of air around it and when I'd remove it from the water it would be dry. Put the finger back in water and same results. Was a bit hard to get off my finger. Was a neat phenomenon, but not sure of the permenance of the material. According to him, it is non-toxic.

ziff house

@mrultralite

This is in lieu of 'Neverwet' which is becoming ,neverthere''. Instead i'm trying a new product from Aus. called 'Suface Screen''. Bought 2 375 ml bottles for $100 [ 39$ x 2 + 26$ shipping from Oz].
    The objective is, to find a DWR that will last more than a few hours. More than that it should be a super DWR that makes the water bead up at a high angle and run away. Surface screen is claiming this version will last 6 months or one wash. In Q4 they are releasing one that will last 6?? washes [forgot real #].
    I have applied it to ;
    – an old ID event jacket
    – some MEC cyling pants that already shed watere quite well [best rain pants ever]
    – some ordinary canvas
    – an old MEC nylon jacket
    24 hrs and a big rain storm from now i will have some results.

ziff house

@mrultralite

So the 24hr drying time seems real [tests better now than earlier], works as advertised, but i'm not sure yet if their claim is applicable to heavy outdoor use. Beads up for sure at a good angle, will know more after a good walk in the rain, good beading after long exposure is the test. Even & sufficient application seems important. 'Probably' pushing my luck with porous materials.
    Still hoping for 'neverwet/neverthere', their claims were tougher.

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

I know this is an old thread, but this product is currently available and looks pretty good (though potentially a bit toxic?)

http://www.gizmag.com/hydrophobic-coating-repels-liquids/26286/

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

So what ever happened with neverwet?
    Prove to not be all that it claimed, and therefore died before release? Or is it out there, and I just haven't seen anything about it?

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

There are a handfull of companies attempting to market superhydrophobic coatings right now, including NeverWet, Nanopool, Ceracoat, Aculon, Nano Diamond Shield, Ultra Ever Dry, and a few others. There is a recent thread about this:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=73303&skip_to_post=625079#625079

Jane Howe was the last to post to that thread, and she seems well-informed.

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools