Topic

Sewing machine advice -Necchi

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sewing machine advice -Necchi

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I'm looking to pick up a machine and take sewing lessons. Originally I was focusing on finding a Singer 401a or 500a, but haven't found a great deal yet. I recently stumbled upon a Necchi BU Mira. Anyone have experience with this machine? I haven't found a lot of info about it through searching. I think I remember Necchi being a reputable brand. The machine comes with a cabinet, year warranty, and has been serviced for $175. That seem like a decent deal?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Good strong machines. I have two BU Novas. Almost identical machines. Make sure the wiring is in good condition. Oil machine regularly and keep it clean and it will outlive your grandchildren. I Paid $40 for my first one and $100 for the second one with a cabinet and all accessories and manuals. If the Japan finish is in good shape(no chips) it could be worth the $175. Unfortunately Ebay has done a huge disservice to the used sewing machine market by always trying to push Necchis as a industrial strength machine to jack up the prices. It is a well built home machine.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Yeah, same opinion here, and I totally agree with Ken about the ebay situation.

No machine that was sold as a home machine is the same as an industrial. My Necchi BU is mounted to an industrial table/motor, and yes that wasn't totally uncommon with the old all-metal machines, since they could stand up to the abuse to some degree, but they weren't built for the same purposes that a real industrial is these days.

Even calling the Singer 20U's industrials is a stretch. They're a *heavy duty* multi-purpose machine.

Josh Panelle

@jpanelle11

Not to high-jack Jeff but what would be the best machine to start off with. Like Jeff I have no experience with one and am looking to start making my own gear. Thanks guys!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools