Topic

Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka “Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim”- BPL Group Run

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka “Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim”- BPL Group Run

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 501 through 525 (of 539 total)
  • Author
    Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Great pictures and descriptions, everyone. Looked like an awesome trip! If anyone is interested in the trans Zion run in say, later August or September, I would totally be down for joining you guys. It is an amazing trip across Zion and has more than a few calf-cramping, gut-busting portions. ;)

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Thanks for the pic Eugene. That climb out was really great, it was good sharing it with you. Weather, views and the company made it one to remember for sure. My knee is feeling good, 3-5 mile runs are doable again finally. I'll be ready for May.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

"That's the last time I'm sharing a tent with Adan. Lucky I didn't get herpes from him too."

Craig, Herpes symptoms can sometimes take a few weeks to surface.

brian blair

@donkey

Locale: Silverado Canyon

Is it too early to start planning our fall get-together?

I vote for Trans-Zion. It'd be a nice time of year out there.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Too early?

I don't think so. October?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I'd consider it in October. Zion sounds cool, love the area.
    Was thinking about heading out to NM for the Deadman 50, so I'd have to choose (couldn't afford both trips).
    October would be best for me…I go August and September without a paycheck.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

if it was early October, might be doable for me (later gets into the heart of hunting season here)

if we can't pull it off this fall, I say we definitely do it next spring

Mike

Dan Hewins

@hewinsd

Locale: Chihuahuan Desert

I could probably swing very-early October… I think a handful of us are tentatively running the Deadman Peaks 50 that Craig mentioned later that month.

torrey saylor

@everyday

Locale: south rim

im down for october, gimmi a location date n time n ill be there. I'll show up a day early to get in some rockclimbing if my BF can come, or someone else who climbs, to belay :)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Anyone without a National Park Annual Pass going to a national park in May? PM me if so. I'd thought I'd start with that offer here in the R2R2M thread and offer it to my betters first. -David

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Its awesome to ready ya'lls reports. You guys finally inspired me to go running again. I hadn't been able to unitl maybe a month ago due to back to back injuries that took forever to heal. After that it was laziness.

I did about 20 minutes at a pretty good pace, distance unknown. I thought about going on but I decided to stop while I was feeling good to make sure I don't hurt anything.

Eugene that Crest fastpack idea sounds pretty cool!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"I decided to stop while I was feeling good to make sure I don't hurt anything"

That was my thought process today in dropping, limbing, and bucking one – count 'em one – 40-foot spruce. There's always another day. Because there's always another tree in my yard.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ David my "TSA" package arrived :)- thanks!

Mike

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

I can't think past Sep 7 right now (Wasatch).
    but everyone keep making plans,
    and I'll follow along in the background.

brian blair

@donkey

Locale: Silverado Canyon

I can definitely commit to an October Zion trip. Perfect time of year for me. The earlier in the month the better I would think.

BB

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I'm in the process of moving to PA so I'm not think past the next couple of months. Once I get up there, if I have a bit of spare time I will start running a few routes that I have scouted out. If my family has moved and settled down I would love to do this trip.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Brian said "I can definitely commit to an October Zion trip. Perfect time of year for me. The earlier in the month the better I would think."

that's the only time in October I'd have a chance to make it

Greg- good luck w/ the move! (moving is not fun- usually anyways :))

Mike

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

So my understanding is that the Trans Zion is ~48 miles. Anyone know the gain?
    East-West? West-East? What are you thinking?

I'm totally stoked on this run and think I could swing early October if we did something similar to the R2R2R…Head out on a Thursday night (or Friday morn.), hang out Friday, run Saturday, head home Sunday…
    I can typically make it to SW Utah in ~7.5 hours drive from home so traveling is no big deal.

Now I just have to get this ITB thing from the R2R2R under control. I'm still getting tightness at only 5K into an easy, flat road run. I've been stopping and walking home before the tightness turns to pain. Ice, roller, stretching post run. Better than two weeks ago, but progress has been slow/frustrating; especially because my knee feels perfectly normal doing everything BUT running.

Maybe we should be starting a trans Zion feeler thread here…

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Craig – are you usung a roller or other massage techniques on your ITB ?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I'm running Deadman Peaks 50 on Oct. 20, so if possible, the very first week in October would be about as close a date as I feel comfortable committing to right now.

Would the very last week in September be a possibility?

On topic, Buzz Burrell recently had to bail on his Trans-Zion due to hydration problems:

http://blog.ultimatedirection.com/trans-zion-how-not-to-hydrate/#more-176

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

either last week of September or first week of October is good by me :)

I was thinking starting west (Lee's Pass) and ending east, gives you the option of bailing at the Grotto, total distance is 47.3 miles (bailing at the Grotto makes it ~ 36 miles)

elevation gain roughly 4000', elevation loss ~ 4000', no where near as dramatic climbs (or descents) as the GC though

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Yeah Art, roller, ice, hot showers followed by stretching…that's it so far. This regimen worked for a serious case in my other knee about 6 years ago, so I'm hoping this time isn't as bad.

Just came in from an easy 5K, ~27 minutes, all pretty flat. No pain at all, just the begins of a little tightness in the last half mile. I'm hoping I can get it under control soon.

As for Zion, I could swing late September if that's best. Last weekend of September or first of October? What's everyone thinking?

Where can you stay/camp for this run? Is the main park out of the way from the start/finish?

EDIT: Mikes plan sounds good to me….

….Had a vision for some Trans Zion medals on my run just now. Let's just say heavy metal themed metallic gunmetal medallions, complete with lightning bolts and thick stainless steel neck chains.

We gotta do it now!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

now I'm definitely in………. sipping out of my R2R2R mug w/ some heavy metal hanging around the neck- oh yeah!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

R2R2R was only two weeks ago.

Do we forget pain that quickly?

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

hey Wisner, you were talking more more more as soon as you were back up with a beer in your belly!

Viewing 25 posts - 501 through 525 (of 539 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools