Topic

They’re back! Ultralight Bivys

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals They’re back! Ultralight Bivys

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Thayne N
    BPL Member

@teethless

Locale: Four Corners

Looks like a great product for a great price! Excited to move on from my mil-surp bivy…

David Cleckner

@blaster6

Locale: Colorado

I ordered the Long, Wide, 1.1 DWR. The heaviest possible combo offered. Comes out to 6.8 ounces on my scale with the included stuff sack. Right on spec.

I couldn't be happier. There is just the right amount of space inside for a 72 inch synmat ul7, a 20 degree down quilt and me. I'm 6'1" 210 pounds and a side sleeper.

Thanks you John, awesome job

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

Thank you for the kind words David, glad you liked it :)

Also, I tried organizing the site a little better over the last few days to make it a little more user-friendly.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

John sent you a pm on a request I have.

Jack

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Hi Jack,
    Responded to your PM, that's definitely something we can do.

Chase Norton

@micronorton

I have been dealing with John for the past week or so on a custom bivy design and the process could not have been better! He responds at most within hours and every email he is more accommodating than the one before. I sent him the first design idea I had and he quoted me back the price and weight (allowing some things to be free because "it did not use that much material"). Then after I had put the purchase in I had reconsidered some aspects of the bivy and sent him another modified design stating if it was too much trouble don't worry about or I would send more money. His response back highlighted his amazing customer service. He wanted to make sure he understood my new design correctly and was more than willing to make it. Honestly, this has been a absolute pleasure ordering from him. I will report back after I have the bivy in hand, but he leaves me no doubt the quality and craftsmanship will be top notch. Truly, I hope this is a cottage business that will be around long term. Oh, and if enough people bug him, he might just go CF for the bottoms, so let him know the market is there!;-)

Andrew Bridenthal
    BPL Member

@walkingandy

Locale: NE Ohio

I can only echo the last post about Johns, bivys and service.

Thanks
    Andy

Eric D.
    BPL Member

@ewdysar

Locale: SoCal

I just placed my order and agree with the previous posters about John's willingness to dial in your bivy to just the way that you want it. Since I'm going to be using a large Neo X-lite (77" x 25"), we agreed that the long-wide should be fine. Living in SoCal, I wanted a bivy that I could really open up, so I requested a perimeter zip all the way around the netting and 12" down the top fabric. We discussed ties to manage the furled netting when the bugs aren't bad, and came to the conclusion that I can add a couple of small dressmaker's eyelets along the chest seam so that I can add soft, light ties (maybe even yarn) that can be easily replaced if/when needed. Here's a pic that I did from the midddle of the design process.

bivy design

I'm really looking forward to getting the bivy out on the trail. I'll post a quick review when I get the chance.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Payment inbound John, thanks for the advice.

Jack

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

We've been quite busy with orders these past few weeks, but finally got around to designing and adding a new product, the bug bivy.

Full .7oz nano-see-um top, weights start from 5.8oz. Check them out here
    http://ulgear.blogspot.com/p/bug-bivy.html

Also, we have one made up already in 1.0oz netting that we had around. Afterwards, we instead decided to make them in .7oz netting for the additional weight savings. $45 shipped, can be found on the page linked.

Thanks!

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

John,

Do you make short & narrow? I'm 5'-2", so your standard would be over a foot too long for me. Also, I generally use a short, or cut down Z-Lite pad.

thanks,

Ssuan

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Hi Susan,

That would be no problem at all, just shoot me an email and we can work out some dimensions
    [email protected]

Thanks!

”V” (CzechClown)
    BPL Member

@czechclown

Could someone please post pictures of their UL Borah Bivy

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Just wanted to let people know, as it says on the website, we will be out of town until Friday. So if you place an order from now until then, please expect another 3-4 days on delivery time. I'll still be able to answer emails at least once a day.
    Thanks!

Rob Jones
    Spectator

@robj

Locale: Washington, D.C.

Wow… Chuckie V?? Pretty cool stuff.

I just ordered one from Borah (John) and will post pictures as soon as I get it in.

Z H

@duracellh

Locale: Southeast Alaska

Had mine for about a month now, and I have to say it is excellent. Mine is slightly customized (smaller hood) although I actually think the default size is a smarter option than what I thought up. Mine uses M50, in wide, and weighs in at about 5.4oz on my scale.

I'd never used anything with momentum before, I was more than pleasantly surprised with its water "resistant" qualities. As in, I didn't know you could line a bowl with it and fill it with water and not get the bowl wet. I really don't know how long you have to have this stuff submerged for it to give, but with a well positioned tarp it is pretty amazing. Maybe that diminishes in time or something, I don't know.

I have used a large 25' wide neo-air, and it was still extremely roomy, even though I am a skinny wuss, I am somewhat long and I had an enormous amount of space. Breath-ability is good. I did have a tiny amount of condensation in the morning, but I also live in a coastal rain forest, and this has handled that fact better than anything else I have used in such proximity to my body.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending this to anyone. Considering the weight and price, I have yet to see a better deal short of trying to sew your own.

Joseph Clark

@applevalleyjoe

Locale: Mohave Desert

John, I'm interested in an M90 Side Zipper Long and Large w/ netting around the head. Your blog is not accesible to me. Please contact me with total owned and paypal info. Also need a syllnylon tarp about 8X10… can you help me out. You can contact me at [email protected] Thanks.

Joseph Clark

@applevalleyjoe

I use the Big Agnes Summit Park w/25" wide Neoair.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Hi Joseph,

Sent you an email,
    Thanks!

Joseph Clark

@applevalleyjoe

Received my M90 Side Zipper Long and Large today. All that I can say is "Wow". If you're looking for a quality and cost-effective bivy look no further… John at Borah Gear IS the man!

kevin smith

@divr6347

sespe 2012

have to give kudos to john and his borah gear bivy s

they are awesome especially for the price

these two are both large wide side zip m 90 models the left one has a regular neo air in it with enlightened equipment reveloution x down quilt with overstuff

the one on the right has a regular big agnes air core pad in it with western mountaineering alder 25 deg down bag being used in quilt mode (which also works awesome)

john builds an awesome bivy and his customer service is second to none

kevin

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Wow, thanks for the kind words guys!

Joseph,
    I'm glad you liked it. Hope you get to take it on a trip soon!

Kevin, it was really nice dealing with you and Jack. Next time I'm down in California we'll definitely have to do some backpacking. Thanks for the picture as well, that looks like a great setup! That tarps putting out some serious coverage

kevin smith

@divr6347

hey john

the tarp is a myog 10×12 silnylon that jack sewed up using silnylon 2nd s from

noah lamports i think he said is checked in at around 20 oz and it was a palace

for two guys to bivy under

keep up the great work with the bivy s after i wear my current rig out ill be in touch to order another

kevin

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Finally, I sold some old gear and had the $$ to get one of these for myself! And this will be my first bivy. I went with the regular/regular in M50 with a side zip! I typically only use a regular size (original) NeoAir so I think that this one will be great for me! Now I just hope that I can get it in before a trip coming up…although I fear that it will not be enough time…we'll see…

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Hi Chad,

I replied to your email, I can move yours up a few in line to try and get it to you on time. It'll be close, but I think it'll make it.
    Thanks!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools