Topic

They’re back! Ultralight Bivys

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals They’re back! Ultralight Bivys

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

A few new options this time around. M50 is the newest fabric addition, it is the lightest option, at 5.5oz, but also the most expensive, at $90.

The M90 option is $80, and the good ol' 1.1 DWR is still available at $70.

Edit: 3/18
    Added some new options on there, also side zipper is now available as a standard option.
    More Info/Pictures here:
    http://www.borahgear.com
    Edit: 10/3/12(updated website URL)

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

John, Do they have any stake-out loops in the corners? It doesn't look like it in the photos, but I wasn't sure. Thanks in advance for your reply.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Hi Robert,
    by default I don't put stake-outs on the bivy, but if you wanted I could sew some on there for you. I have so much grosgrain I don't know what to do with it all ;)

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

How much would it be to add them? I was wondering how breathable is the DWR top? I have switched to cowboy camping style unless there is rain, then I add a tarp. This looks like it could be the ticket for that. Thanks again.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Robert, sent you a PM.
    Edit: Also replied to everyone else's PMs
    Thanks!

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

I shipped out most people's orders today, and will have the rest out on Monday.

I also added a page to my blog that people can buy these without having to go through all the PM systems, emails, etc.

http://www.borahgear.com

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

I ordered one of the bivys a few days ago, and I just wanted to say that John was great to deal with. He was more than happy to customize mine, without any hassle!! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Fred Thorp

@bfthorp

I'm looking forward to trying this design. I'm hoping it will solve several issues of mine.

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

Just want to say that John has bent over backward to make sure that I had a custom bivy that worked for my overly large self! I have two bivys now and couldn't be happier!!Very cool to be able to customize them exactly to what you want and still get them for a great price!! Thanks again John!

Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

I highly recommend this bivy. Packs smaller than my MLD Superlight bivy. Excellent craftsmanship.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Thank you for the kind words guys, I'm glad you liked them.

Expect another batch in the early spring sometime.
    Thanks!

Kelly Gigliotti

@kellyg

"I highly recommend this bivy… Excellent craftsmanship."

+1
    Only got a chance to use it once in the fall, but was very impressed.

Nicholas Martin

@namaniac

Locale: SoCal-High Desert

is there a way to get on an email notification list so that we can get first dibs…so to speak?

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Well, over the last couple month we have probably received 10-15 emails requesting a new batch of these to be made. While we don't have time to fulfill everyone's needs, we are doing a limited run again, this time most likely only around 10 of them.
    They are available in either M90, M50, or 1.1DWR for the upper. To purchase or get more information about these, just check out our blog
    http://ulgear.blogspot.com/p/ultralight-bivy.html

Note that we haven't made one in M50 yet ( fabric is still on its way, excited though :) ), so the weights for the M50 version are approximated based on the weight per yd2. But it will fall within +-.1 of that 5.5oz estimate.

As soon as 10 sell, the Paypal links will be taken off the website, so its first come first serve.

All orders will ship within 2 weeks of payment, it would be faster but I am still waiting for some of the fabric to come in. Shipping by USPS, insured.
    Any questions please email or PM me.

Thanks!

Charlie Murphy
    BPL Member

@baltocharlie

Locale: MAryland

Thanks, looking forward to trying it out, heard lots of good reviews. Best, Charlie

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Thanks Charlie, got your order, will keep you updated.

4 have already sold, 6 left.

Noel Tavan
    BPL Member

@akatsuki_the_devil

John,
    Sorry if that has been answered or if it is obvious. Are the non-mesh portion water proof/ water resistant? They might work nice with a umbrella setup.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Hi Noel,

Yes, all of the upper fabrics we offer are water resistant, so they are perfect for under a tarp to protect from splashes. The silnylon floor is waterproof.

edit: Also just added the option for 1.1DWR top instead of the Momentum options for a cheaper price.

Zack h
    BPL Member

@want2belite

Bump for this! Ordered mine, hope they full the orders. Will give full review when I recieve it.

William Brown
    Spectator

@matthewbrown

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns

Quick question to John or anyone who has recieved their bivy. How is the fit when using a large (25") Neoair. Thx for any responses.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Hi William,

With 24-25" pads, I have to increase the width a little to compensate for the extra 5" over most pads, but after I do that it fits great.

Chris Wright
    Spectator

@chriswrightcycles

From the photos it looks like the bivy is made with a full mesh hood by default. Would it be possible to install a mesh window similar to the MLD bivy's? If so what would this add to the cost?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

Awesome stuff! What is the difference between the three fabric types, 1.1DWR, M50 and M90?

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

PMed you Chris,

Gregory,

The main difference between the fabric types is the weight. They all have DWR treatment and shed water very well. Feel free to email me if you have any other questions

Also, shipping out the first 5 of these tomorrow morning. We originally were only going to do 10 of these, but so many people are interested in the M50 version, we figured might as well keep producing them :) , so as long as the Paypal links are up on the site, we are selling.
    Thanks

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

Thanks for answering my question John. I would assume that the heavier the fabric, the more durable over the life of the bag? Also, it doesnt mention it, but I would imagine the seams are taped/sealed?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools