Topic

The 4th Annual BPL GGG Weekend Official Sign Up

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips The 4th Annual BPL GGG Weekend Official Sign Up

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 51 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Adam Criswell

@macrophyllum

Locale: Northern California

This was a nice short trip, I think it will be a great spot for Feb.

The water was somewhat questionable, quite a few dead fish in it. We used Jacks filter and hopefully all was filtered.

There are many little spiky plants in the meadow by our camp, on the other side of the river is a huge area with very little of these plants. That might be a better spot if there are a lot of people.

The ground was great for setting up shelters, pretty flat and the soil was compact enough to hold stakes well but not rock hard.

A few pictures:

some dead fish

Little Spiky Plants

Chillin'

Ken like fire

Foggy Lens Fire

Glowing Shelters

Morning Fog over river (I took this standing next a man with a large gun)

Jack getting his morning workout

Thanks again Ken for organizing, looking forward to February.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Correct, Eric. I was using the SMD Meteor again.

It was pouring as I drove out Friday night but we had a spectacular moon Saturday with few clouds and little mist. I slept with the top half of my bag exposed and suffered from only a tiny bit of moisture.

The site is diverse and should be spacious enough. I drove from SF through Napa on the 29 and was treated to hauntingly beautiful tendrils of mist spilling around the trees and road as I went past Robert Louis Stevenson State Park. The drive time was long despite the relatively short distance due to the rain and route but I will take the same path in February. Cache Creek is clearly marked on the right side when traveling East on SR 20.

Please be aware that there is no trash service at the parking area and that you will need to transport collected garbage in your car when it is time to leave.

Just saw Adam's post. The water situation will be improved with a few more rains. Jack's gravity filter was very handy and I even used Aquamira although the others were less squeamish than I and had no complaints about the filtered water.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Are there more detailed instructions on how to get to the site where you were? I'm just wanting to know details for the Feb trip, like exactly what trailhead/camping area we'll be at. Is there a faster route driving north from the Bay Area than the one via 29?

As I recall from looking on the web a few months back, there are different entry points and so the driving route might hinge on which entry point we're using.

Thanks,
    Debbie

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Hwy 5 north from the Bay Area heading towards Chico Debbie. I think you take Hwy 20 West and it is about 10-20 miles from there

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Yes, SR 20 West from the 5. The Cache Creek sign may not be highly visible from that direction but it will be on the left. It is the standard brown and gold National Park sign, a little more weathered than most. I am sure that 101 or the 5 will be significantly faster even if higher mileage.

Wow. Great example of how what you expect to see colors your memories. That sign looks completely different than what I imagine even though I was just there.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

mile marker 37 on Hwy 20

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Thanks, Ken – is that 37 miles from the east end of 20, or the west end?

How far are you guys planning on hiking in for the GGG?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

mile marker 37 was on both sides of the hwy facing both ways.

'bout 3.5 miles in

csign
    sign at entrance

parking
    plenty of parking

rolling hills
    a short hike up the ridge reveals the view

wide open
    big space

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

OK, I'm looking at this map
    http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/region2/docs/cachecreek/CacheCreekWADetailed.pdf

and trying to get an idea of where on the map you were.

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

Myself and one of my kids are in. I haven't attended before but it sounds like a lot of fun. So… Jason Cuzzetto +1…

Thank you

Rick Horne
    BPL Member

@rick778

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell

I am in + 1.

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

I forgot to sign up : )

Count me in!

Ryan

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

Ken: haven't missed one yet and am most likely in plus 1 or 2 kids this year depending on their schedules. Put us on the list.

Thx.

Jeremy

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I had you down as Tony's +1, lol.

See you there!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Henry Coe St. Park officially off the to be closed list!!!!!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Yep but only until 2015. Still great news. Now if Castle Rock State Park can have the same happen

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

I'm in for at least part of the weekend. As close as the event location is to the ocean, I may also want to get some paddling in while I'm in the area.

Somewhere I saw a list of possible events for the gathering. I know there's a lot of focus on bringing libations to share. Any interest in an actual tasting event?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Diana, since I am a Sommeilier and work in the business I would be more than happy to conduct a tasting. What specifically do you have in mind?

Wine tasting is my forte but I do very well with spirits and beer also

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

Ken,

If you would be willing to conduct a tasting, that would be great. What I was hoping for is that we could each try something new (that we wouldn't otherwise get a chance to sample). Each person who wanted to participate in the tasting event could bring a favorite libation (or one they'd like to try) to share with the group. I was thinking of bringing a bottle or two of single malt scotch, but I would also be interested in tasting wine or beer or other whiskeys.

If beer, wine and scotch (and other whiskey types) are too many options for one event, we could have different tastings on different evenings.

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

Add me to the list, please

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

I have a friend who is interested and will likely be a +1 for me.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

You guys realize we are going to Henry Coe right?

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

d

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

See the Lush in the brush single malt event.

Future crowd favorite.

This thread is technically done as I am only updating this one…

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=56025

Viewing 24 posts - 51 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools