Topic

Smelly trash compactor bags?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Smelly trash compactor bags?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

Finally broke down and bought a box of trash compactor bags to use as waterproof pack liners since regular trash bags were not holding up. One problem though: THEY STINK WITH FRAGRANCE! I could not smell anything at the store (Kroger) and the box is labeled that they control odors but do not mention a fragrance.

Some might say this is not a big problem but I intend to use them in bear country where everything smelly gets critiqued. I don't want the rest of my gear smelling either. Suggestions?

William Brown
    Spectator

@matthewbrown

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns

While I have noticed the fragrance of the TC bags, I've never noticed the transfer of odor to my clothing or gear. If you are mildly careful one TC bag can last several months. Mine has long lost it's flowery smell.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

My last box of heavy duty trash compactor bags ran out in 2008. I didn't find my current ones until 2011! Almost all of the ones were too thin, the wrong size, or smelly. I certainly wasn't putting my gear in something that smelled like that. I found my current ones at Safeway, if you have one of those nearby.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I get the non scented Hefty brand ones at my local Ace Hardware. I can mail you some if you would like.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

I bought my bags at Smart and Final. I couldn't find them anywhere else. They come in a 30 count box, white and weigh 2.2 ounces. No scent at all and very durable.

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

I ran into this problem when I first shopped for compactor bags after reading about them in Clelland!'s book. Right there on the shelf, though, was a box of Hefty clear trash bags:

http://www.amazon.com/Hefty-Cinch-Clear-Large-Gallon/dp/B000E0I4Y0

They worked out great, have been plenty durable, and are lighter than the compactor bags.

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hey James,

The regular compactor bags I use come in at 2.2oz. How much do your bags weigh?

Thanks,

rhz

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I can let them air out in the garage hanging up. May look into the Hefty bags at the hardware store as I did not think to check there.

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

After reading the title of your post, my first thought was to use new bags and not used ones!!

BM

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"Maybe I can let them air out in the garage hanging up."

Nah, the smelly stuff is pretty much part of the plastic. You found the key words to avoid: "odor control."

You can use just about any plastic bag, but the compactor bags are the toughest and will stretch around the lumps and bumps rather than tearing.

Terri Wright
    BPL Member

@ncalcamper

Locale: SF Bay Area

I inadvertently purchased smelly bags. I was able to air out on a clothes line outside overnight. I used on the JMT for two weeks no problem.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools