Topic

Circuit + Ohm = ? (Another ode to the awesomeness that is ULA)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Circuit + Ohm = ? (Another ode to the awesomeness that is ULA)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

So I got an Ohm last summer, and picked up a Circuit in March after my AT section hike in Georgia. I like both packs, but after using them both I settled on the Circuit as my go-to 4-season pack. I made a list of modifications I wanted, and handed it to my lovely wife to take her scissors and sewing machine and start hacking.

Before she could begin, I saw the note posted here in BPL about ULA packs available in unusual colors. Their web site said something about "custom work," too, which intrigued me. So on Sunday, I emailed ULA asking about custom modifications to a Circuit. On Monday morning, I had a positive response. I called that afternoon and talked with Rodney, and we worked out the details. I placed my order Monday evening. Early Tuesday afternoon I received an email from Rodney's cell phone with a photo of my completed custom Circuit!!! It shipped yesterday evening. Total time from initial email to shipping *of a custom pack* was less than 48 hours. The price was extremely reasonable, too.

The custom mods are the drawstring top closure and the stretchy mesh front pocket from the Ohm, and a pretty dark navy blue fabric. Everything else is pure Circuit. Now I suffer the agony of waiting for the little brown truck to drive all the way across the country with my new pack. I'll post photos when it arrives.

A big thank you to Rodney and the crew at ULA.

EDIT: Yes, I know about the existence of the Ohm 2.0.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I love a good story. My ULA packs have only taken two days to get to me. Hope you get your before the weekend. Pictures of course when you do.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

ULA packs and their customer service are awesome!

I use the Catalyst as my main pack – it handles bear canisters better than the Circuit, which is an issue out here in California. The Ohm 2.0 is my weekender pack. Both great fitting, great carrying packs!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"The custom mods are the drawstring top closure and the stretchy mesh front pocket from the Ohm, and a pretty dark navy blue fabric. Everything else is pure Circuit. Now I suffer the agony of waiting for the little brown truck to drive all the way across the country with my new pack. I'll post photos when it arrives."

Excellent idea, and good news for all of us. Only one thing you might have added, IMO, is replacing the Circuit side pockets with OHM side pockets. They are awesome.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

"Only one thing you might have added, IMO, is replacing the Circuit side pockets with OHM side pockets. They are awesome."

I do like those, but after careful consideration I decided I preferred the Circuit pockets. The one thing I forgot was to ask for the elastic straps inside the pack that hold a sleeping pad in the Ohm. Those are useful. Oh well.

Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

Locale: Pacific Wonderland

I love my Ohm and Catalyst. The two packs seem to cover everything that I need for various trips. I bought my Ohm on the gear swap, it's a custom black color and I love it. Any chance you have some pictures of the modified Circuit?

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

I'll post pics as soon as it arrives.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

Now for the most important question: what does it weigh? Just kidding : )

My new "regular" Circuit arrived Monday. I decided to get a stock version since I was not sure if it would fit well or not and needed the ability to return it. So far I am highly impressed. It weighs less than my Osprey Exos 46, can handle a bear canister and more weight, seems more durable, and rides similar to my heavy 5lb full frame Aether 70. Can't wait to try it on the trail.

Knowing what I know now, I would have customized it with the Ohm side pockets and compression straps.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

"Now for the most important question: what does it weigh? Just kidding : )"

Yeah, probably an ounce or two more than my regular Circuit. We'll see. In the final analysis, it weighs whatever it weighs, and I'm good with that….

Kyle Motley

@motlekj06

Locale: VA

I just bought a practically brand new Circuit off the Gear Swap forum here. It's supposed to be here tomorrow. I've been counting down the days until i get it. I'm super pumped. If FedEx doesn't deliver on saturdays, i might cry.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Took the custom Circuit on the trail this past weekend. Handled all my winter gear, carried well, and it looks great.

The drawstring top is much easier for me to use than the roll-top of the stock model. (And it's not like I don't know how to use one, I had a Starlite for 6+ years and I'm a kayaker for Pete's sake.) The stretchy front pocket is great, too. And the navy blue fabric looks very nice, though it seemed to absorb water and dirt pretty easily.

Back:

Suspension of custom Circuit

Front:

Front of custom Circuit

Kudos to ULA, they did a great job and I got exactly what I wanted in a pack for a very reasonable price.

EDIT: That's a very old hip belt that I am still using, not the current one.

David Ure

@familyguy

Great pics – thanks. Love the blue.

On a related note, I too find that Cordura soaks up a lot of water but has decent waterproof caracteristics.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

Nice! I love my Circuit but, wow, love that blue.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools