Topic

Warm Drinks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Doug, do you have the recipe on hand? It would be an interesting one to see!
    I work for a Thai importer and coconut cream powder is a big seller for us. I have a couple boxes of it laying around my house.

Victor Karpenko
    BPL Member

@viktor

Locale: Northern California

Here is a recipe that works. I use this one for winter/snow camping. There are some other good smoothies in the reference below.

1/4 cup powdered milk
    1 Tb coconut cream powder
    1 Tsp sugar

Mix together in a cup and add 1 cup boiling water.

172 calories
    10 grams fat
    15 grams carbos
    7 grams protein

Reference: (for Laurie)
    Backcountry Cooking
    Dorcus S. Miller
    ISBN 0-89886-551-4
    Page 88

Just a thought…
    You might be able to adapt this recipe for freezer bag cooking by adding ~1 Tb potato starch to thicken it up, wait about 5 minutes, and then use a spoon to eat it.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Thanks! That looks very easy to do, and in a mug it would be a snap :-) Now I have something more to do with all the coconut cream powder.

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Locale: Midwest US

I have a hard time finding "coconut cream powder". Where do you buy it?

mark henley

@flash582

Crystal light "to go" lemonaid mixed with a jigger of Tequila works well round the campfire.

So much the better if there's a little snow around.

Victor Karpenko
    BPL Member

@viktor

Locale: Northern California

You can get coconut cream powder in Asian food stores. They come in small foil packets.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

James, we sell it at my work: http://importfood.com/spct5601.html
    The 5.6 ounce box will last you for a long time.

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Thanks Sarah! I love that web site. I ordered a bunch of stuff… couldn't see paying bucks shipping on just one thing, right? hehe ;)

Doug L
    BPL Member

@mothermenke

Locale: Upstate NY

Sorry Sarah it took so long to reply. I don't have any specific recipe for the smoothie. I just usually combined two packets of hot chocolate powder in a giant mug and added the coconut cream powder to taste and enough potato flakes to make it thick. I had a friend who would also add ground-up almonds to his hot smoothie for some extra protein. I think he got that ingredient from King Arthur Flour in Norwich, VT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Hey James, I am the lead packer for the website ;-)

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Outstanding!

I have to laugh. I found your web site a few months ago. I ate at a Thai restaurant and they were out of Thai iced tea. I had Thai iced coffee instead, which was OK. So when I got home I did a quick Google of "Thai iced tea" because I guess I realized I never actually knew what was in that stuff. Your web site came up. I remember because it has the photos of the stuff being prepared by a street vendor.

The instant stuff sounds weird, made with creamer… I laughed out loud when I saw it. It reminded me of the movie "The Big Lebowski" where he makes a "white Russian" (or was it a "caucasian"?) out of vodka and coffee creamer. :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Lol…yeah, the instant Thai iced tea is not the same as the real stuff. But! The instant Thai coffee packets are great for backpacking.
    The Vietnam coffee and filter we sell is really great also. Due to the French influence, the filter looks like something out of a 1960's espresso cafe. It is very lightweight, and sits on your cup/mug. For "luxury" items I have been know to carry that filter and to carry the sushi rolling mat (also very light, and works well as a prep table).
    My son's favorite item is the noodles, especially the Pancit Canton ones.

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Oh well, should have ordered the coffee too. I'll put this on my next order. I mostly wanted to play around with some of the stuff. I'll for sure be placing another order!

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Going back to the original question…chai tea, hot cider, or some sort of regular tea. The Japanese soup sounds great. I was just out last weekend with windy 29 F evenings and the broth from the Raman noodles was a real pick-me-up!
    Tom

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

we drink a lot of Roobois, Matcha, Jasmine, Fruit and other teas/blends. Camino cocoa (free trade) drink mix is also a staple here. Warmed V8 type drinks are really soothing and hearty too. We also drink warmed cider and I make a warmed peach nectar and stem ginger concoction.

wayne aune

@waune

I do not know if anyone has mentioned it yet and I have not tried it; hot ovaltine.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Wayne, another great drink from my childhood that I haven't had in some time. Postum or Pero are two others. I grew up in Utah and those were thought of by some as "Mormon coffee".

jessie smith

@runningwoman5

Hot Cocoa
    4 – 5 servings

Rich and chocolaty – like Mom used to make.

Ingredients
    – 3 tbsp cocoa
    – 1/2 tsp powdered Stevia extract
    – 4 to 5 cups of soymilk or milk
    – 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
    – 1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix the cocoa and Stevia extract together in a medium-sized saucepan. Add about 1/2 cup of the soymilk or milk to the dry ingredients to make a paste. Gradually thin the paste with about 1/2 cup of the milk. Add the honey or maple syrup while bringing to a low boil. Boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the rest of the milk to the desired richness. Add the vanilla and return to burner until heated through. Note: Be careful not to scorch the cocoa. Use a pan with a heavy bottom and watch closely. Variation: You may add a teaspoon of cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg.

(Excerpted with permission from "Stevia: naturally sweet recipes for desserts, drinks and more!", by Rita DePuydt – Book Publishing Co.)

I prefer the Sweetleaf brand of Stevia. This drink tastes sooo yummy, enjoy!

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools