Topic

Yellow Shelters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Yellow Shelters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Those of you who own and use yellow colored shelters, have you found that they attract more insects? I've heard that the some yellows tend to draw bees, wasps, etc. Has that been true for those of you who have yellow MLD or Golite tarps?

Thanks.

Jason

David Ure

@familyguy

That hasn't been the case for me. However, I have noticed more bugs because of the color.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

not my experience, but for full disclosure i cannot remember the last time i set it up that it wasn't on or in close proximity to snow.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I'm thinking that the yellows and oranges do attract more insects than my Tarptent gray or GoLite green tents. I have a couple of Marmot orange/yellow tents, and it seems like I get all sorts of bugs hanging around (maybe it's just easier to see them on those lighter colors?).

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Yellow Shelters=Giant Flowers

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I had a red REI tent back in the '70-80s, and it seemed to attract any hummingbird that was in the area. Also, the MSR Missing Link (yellow?–no, it's orange) that I use for a quick car camp shelter always has ants crawling on it during the day.

So now the question is…which color doesn't attract any bugs at all? Anybody have a black tent?

(Edit–my Missing Link is orange, not yellow)

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

I can't speak for shelters but we (myself & other kayaking friends) observed years ago how bugs are attracted to yellow helmets and kayaks. Either one would be covered in bugs in certain areas where as the other colors had none or few. I assume this would apply to anything "yellow" in nature.

Jeff J

@j-j-81

Locale: Oregon

I concur with Rusty. My first kayak spray jacket was yellow, and anytime I wore it, bugs were attracted to buzz around me. Not necessarily mosquitoes or the like, but anything with wings. A lot of bees, if I recall.

I don't take anything colored like that in the woods now. Well, a blaze orange hat during hunting season.

Jeff

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Seems that when I need a shelter (rain or snow) there are no bugs. The rest of the time it stays in my pack.

But it does seem logical that bugs would be attracted to the same colors that they would normally seek out in flowers.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I don't know about insects but a couple I know made a yellow tent from a Frostline kit (decades ago) … only to discover that it was translucent enough that they had trouble sleeping in it when the moon was full and a few days before and after.

This was a double walled tent with both walls of a heavier material than silnylon.

steven franchuk

@surf

Some insects are drawn to the color yellow. Others like the light brown color of my sunglasses and will hover a inch or 2 in front of my eyes for a mile or more. Others (bees huming birds and many others) are attracted to ultraviolet light (many flowers reflect UV light strongly). Mosquitoes and many other biting insects are mainly attracted to heat, CO2, and smell.

I have a yellow tent and mostly it draws the Mosquitoes when it is hit by direct sun. The interior gets hot and that draws the mosquitoes. On cool days I don' see any insects drawn to the tent.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

yellow tents can be highly translucent, but i always found the warm glow a benifit. if you've been trapped for a couple of days in a tent the brightness can be a big mood enhancer. as far as it being too bright to sleep, if i'm tired i have no problem sleeping.

KiwiMtnClmbr
    BPL Member

@kiwimtnclmbr

Locale: Northeast Highlands

I found a buddy's new Nemo tent to be very attractive to insects and especially bees and wasps this past summer. Throughout NY, NJ and VT his tent next to my gray and blue beater was swarmed constantly. It sure did look nice though and was a lot easier to put up than mine…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools