Topic

Shoulder straps fall off shoulders

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shoulder straps fall off shoulders

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

On every packs I've ever used, from my Alter Ego pack to my Dana Designs Astralplane, I have problems keeping the straps on both shoulders. One strap always ends up sliding off one shoulder. Even using a sternum strap doesn't do much. What can a check to figure out what the problem is, and then what changes can I request in a custom pack to prevent this?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Possible to post some photos of you with packs on?

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

Contoured, S-shaped shoulder straps mounted as narrow as is comfortable, with a high-mounted shoulder strap. Also, if you're not carrying any of the weight on your shoulders, cinch 'em down a little. The friction might help keep them from slipping.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

My shoulders are maybe a medium size, and I purchased one backpack that was a large size, simply because I wanted the extra volume. But then I had the same shoulder strap problem as you describe. So, I fashioned a loop of webbing that went around both shoulder straps next to the pack bag. By tightening up that loop with a knot, I could "move" the shoulder straps toward the center. On mine, moving them each about one inch was perfect.

–B.G.–

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Bob, I thought that might be a good idea. I'm glad that works for you. It'd be like a sternum strap, except a back of the neck strap.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Yes, a behind-the-neck strap/loop.

I purchased that backpack slightly over thirty years ago, and it is still sitting in one corner of my equipment room, still ready to go.

–B.G.–

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Like this

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the pack is too big … or at least the shoulder straps are too far apart

i see the same all the time when i go pack shopping with smaller women … the shoulder straps barely stay on the shoulders … now they try to get by with using the sternum strap more aggresively, but it just seems to cause hot spots and boob compression …

solution is a pack that fits better

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

I will always have this problem. In the mid 80’s a car wreck ended up making my left shoulder 1” shorter than my right. Along with that the left clavicle slopes down. Thus my left long sleeve always looks longer than my right sleeve. This really shows up when I put a coat on.
    I like the ideas of the ‘behind the neck’ sternum strap.

Anyway, I try to pack more of my 15lb weight in the right side of the pack. If I forget, the trail will let me know. :P

-Barry
    The mountains were made for Tevas :)

Troy Pratten
    BPL Member

@gogators

Locale: The Middle of Big 12-3+1 Country

When I took my wife to REI to try on packs, the women-specific packs had noticeably more contoured, thinner shoulder straps. Especially the Deuter women's packs. I've also heard that GoLite's women's packs have good not-so-wide straps.

Good luck.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools