Topic

Holy Cross Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Holy Cross Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

Since my favorite part of BPL are the trip reports, I decided to take the plunge and post my first to give back a little.

Here is a link to my recent trip photos and descriptions to the Holy Cross Wilderness in central Colorado.

https://picasaweb.google.com/115489895045533921300/HolyCrossBackpacking?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCODMqciamdHW3wE&feat=directlink

We started at the Fancy Creek trailhead, and headed for Fall Creek Pass. Camped at lower Tuhare lake for the first night, and in the morning hiked off trailed up to the Halo Ridge next to Mount of the Holy Cross. Then we headed down past Lake Patricia and over Cross Creek were we met the Cross Creek trail. We headed up Cross Creek and camped in a Meadow a few miles short of Missouri pass. The in the morning, it was up to Missouri Pass, and down to the Missouri Creek trailhead.
    This was a great loop hike since the 2 trailheads were about 50 yards apart. The main access road to the popular trailhead for climbing Mount of the Holy Cross was closed due to logging of the dead pine trees, so we only saw 2 groups of backpackers between Fall Creek Pass and Missouri Pass.

I fished recreationally along the way and had relatively good luck since I was just casting along the creeks and lakes as we hiked.

Thanks for checking it out.

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

Sounds like you had a good time and covered a good majority of the Holy Cross Wilderness. I've been to many of the same places… many bears back there. I don't claim to be much of a fisherman, but your pictures make me want to bring my pole out there next summer. Mind if I ask what lures you were using?

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I used a variety of lures, but the ones that seemed to work were gold kastmasters, Mepps black furry's, and panther martin spinners. I had the most luck with a little gold panther martin. I used the smallest sizes of each lure they make.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Seems like you saw lots of marmots and talus. Nice TR.
    Tom

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools