Topic

Custom Zpacks Zero – Finally Got the Perfect SUL Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Custom Zpacks Zero – Finally Got the Perfect SUL Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The roll top works really nice for volume reduction. I don't think you'd need a top strap for this. However, a Ridgerest (even a short one) eats up quite a bit of volume, so you may need to store it externally on some trips. So perhaps get a top strap for this.

I've got a Ridgerest (cut to about a small size) and a UL7 as well. I usually take the UL7, but I take the Ridgerest for solo use when I can count on finding a nice stealth spot that I can landscape a bit. Even cut down, the Ridgerest really eats in the volume of the pack, so I store on top for all but the shortest trips.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I just got a zero in the mail (well on Monday I did). I hope to get at least a training hike in this weekend. But so far, I'm blown away. Serious bang for the buck and Zpacks went above and beyond what I requested.

My size small zero is three inches taller than the standard adding just a little more food room and it all rolls down when out of the way. I also got a 3/4 inch webbing belt that's removeable, and two side water bottle pockets. All of this came out great, but there's more.

It's hard to find Zero options that are not on Zpacks lenghty list of check boxes, but I wanted side compression done with webbing loops that I could threat some cord through if/when needed. useful when the pack's half full or when I'm carrying a hiking pole or fishing rod. Finally I added the mesh back pocket and asked for four webbing loops on each side with a line lock on the top, because I wanted to run a z-shaped compression line up the pack. I also wanted to have the two loops on each side closest to my back for elastic line to attach a GG sit light pad. So Zpacks added the loops and line locks and at the back (wearer's) side of the pack made double loops to keep the compression line and back pad straps separate. They also went ahead and put in grey Z line for the compression and super thin bungee line for the back pad, adding two additional loops at the top and bottom of the back panel to make triangular pad holder compartments and wired it all up for me complete with sit light pad.

Such a great buying experience on my first piece of custom BP gear (I have custom knives and music equipment, but nothing for hiking until now. Won't be my last. Thinking hard about getting a Hexamid tent with sewn in cuben floor. Hat's off to Zpacks.

Scott Pickard

@gon2srf

Locale: Southern California

Brian can you post the weight of your new Zero with the removeable waist belt and without if if possible.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Sure. It weighs 7.5 oz. without the Gossamer Gear Sit-lite pad. This is a zero with removable 3/4 inch webbing belt, sternum strap (now standard), webbing loops (10) and two line loc III's for side compression and to hold bungee cord for sit pad (bungee cord included in weight, as I've never removed it. Also included is rear mesh pocket, 3-4 inches taller (Blast 22 height), and side WB pockets. IIRC, it was actually 7.4 and change. Hope this helps. Can snap a pic tonight if you like. It's the olive color. Looks a lot like Dan D's.

Scott Pickard

@gon2srf

Locale: Southern California

Thank you Brian for the details and the weight. Now as if I have not asked enough when do plan to post some pics? :) Also thank you Dan for the original post and the photos of your Zero. I am really enjoying this thread.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

I owe you an answer in belt weight. That's in the Zpacks site. I don't plan to remove the belt. There is little room in the d-rings/buckles with the belt attached, so I am going to leave it as is. Pics I can take now, but probably won't upload until I get back on a PC at the office tomorrow. So, stay tuned.

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools