Topic

nemo inflatable tents…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) nemo inflatable tents…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Dante

@filo

I stumbled upon “NEMO Equipment” tents at OR show last summer and I found out their tents are selling online beginning this week. This is a hot item, I just ordered a burrito for my cycling trip this summer and now I am thinking of getting a hypno for when i have company, I’ll see how the burrito behaves once I get it, at the show they looked and felt really solid, and the colors now are green, very nice.

this is really some innovation here… I will like to see how the shake up the industry.

John Dante

@filo

New comers in this industry seem to be sprouting up with a lot of force…

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hi John-

Look forward to seeing the Nemo Tenshi eVENT tent review coming up on the site. It will be posted sometime in the next month as part of our Bomber Tent release.

We also will be getting a Nemo Hypno for review soon. Look forward to the review in mid to late-summer.

Cool stuff from some great folks!

Doug Johnson, Shelter Editor

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hi John-

Check out the updated Single Wall Shelter Gear Guide; it was updated last night to include the new Nemo tents.

Enjoy!

Doug Johnson, Shelter Systems Editor

John Dante

@filo

Doug,

That sounds great, I couldn’t find the review you mentoned. Where do look for it?

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

try this link==>Nemo on BPL

LInk to Nemo Site – tents

At this time, appears to be just the GearGuide entries. Don’t think that there is an actual review yet.

These shelters seem a bit on the heavy side cp. to more traditionally supported equivalents. For example, a very similar, more traditional competitor for the Burrito (3.75lbs) is Integral Designs’ Sola Shelter (2.95lbs – See Here). Burrito, however, seems to have better door placement than the Sola to facilitate entrance/egress.

Even the significantly larger ID MegaSola is only 3.6 lb (MegaSola – click here)

John Dante

@filo

I noticed that the height on the hypno differs from the website to the gear guide.

About the weight issue, it seems to me like the burrito is actually muc longer than those two 123″ compared to the mega-sola’s 100″, that means a lot more space for gear.

I did quite a bit or picky research on these, weight doesn’t seem to be as much of a major issue as thoughful feautures that make it much easier to use. still 3.5 lbs is pretty good. I am weary of many comapnies who post product weight without the poles and stuff sack, in my experience this happens a lot.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

You’re right. Some very well thought out features to the Burrito (and the other Nemo tents). Extra length could be good for gear storage. On the downside, in the Northeast in some places space is at a premium, & so it’s easier to find a decent site for pitching a shorter shelter (hey…tarps would be even easier to pitch in those locations – but right now, I don’t do tarps – my loss I guess).

I wonder how well the Nemo tents stand up to high winds given their unique “skeleton”. Shape of the Burrito appears at least to be “wind shedding”

I use Integral Designs Bivies (not the Sola or MegaSola however). The eVENT & non-eVENT Unishelters & Salathe are extremely well made and functional.

You’re also right about misleading weights. I think it’s somewhat standard (though perhaps NOT universally accepted) that a shelter’s minimum wt includes the shelter, poles, and fly (if there is one). I’m not sure that stakes and guylines are included in the wt, nor the stuff sack. IMHO, a stuff sack is optional when packing a shelter in a backpack (or use a BMW/BPL lt. wt. stuff sack instead) & the stakes and guys that typically come with a tent are much heavier than the Ti skewers and Spectra line I use. So, I’m glad these aren’t counted in the min. wt. of a shelter.

ALL my gear comes inside of my Unishelter bivies with me due to nocturnal rodents. It fits fine, but then I’m on the small side.

Even the two Uni’s can be completely setup in under a minute. The Uni’s have the easiest pole setup of any bivy/tent I’ve ever used – even similar hooped bivy shelters from other mfr’s.

[Note: By “hooped” I mean a shock corded sectioned pole similar to those used in tents, but much shorter, of course. I do NOT mean the wire-hoop used in the Salathe, Bibler Hooped Bivies, MLD EpicBivy, and some other bivy sacks I arbitrarily distinguish betwen bivy sacks & bivy shelters based upon the use of one or more overhead poles vs. a flexible wire-hoop or no “hoop” at all.]

So perhaps the Uni’s are comparable to the Burrito’s total setup time & not just its inflation time. The Sola prob. takes longer to setup since it has two poles.

The Sola&MegaSola have venting on the foot end. Placing gear there could interfere with air flow. Furthermore, door placement on these shelters would make getting to the gear down there more difficult than in the Burrito.

Prob. the most significant diff (besides the “skeleton”) is the that the two ID shelters are legitimate 4season shelters (as are their bivies). The Nemo site say that the Burrito is only for 3season use.

The Burrito intrigues me however. I’d like to spend some nights in one. But if I purchase another tent my wife will prob. kill me (maybe not, I just bought her a new car, but I’m still not taking any chances!!!). I’m gonna’ have a tough enough time sneaking in some of the other gear I already have on order without her noticing!!! I’m running out of room to store the gear!!

Please, let us all know what you think if you purchase one.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools