Topic

GG ThinLight R-value

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GG ThinLight R-value

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Locale: Mid-Minnesota

Bernden, SeekOutside is offering a double wide extra long 1/8 EVA pad.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I used to sell the 1/8″ thick x 48″ wide x 72″ long (along with other thicknesses and widths) pad years ago, and I have a self appointed PhD on the subject from all the literature I read when I was spec’ing my pads. Mine were lighter than GG and others, but less durable and marked very easily so they are probably using an EV30 or EV35 which is marginally heavier. I no longer sell them and have no interest in going back so will share.

Mine were made of Plastazote LD15 which at the time was the lightest available, might be something lighter now.  I remember the guy not understanding why I was so infatuated with the weight, and he couldn’t understand why I cared so much about a few grams even though there were cheaper versions, just slightly heavier…The place was not far from my house, and for somewhere around $1000 CDN, you could get the following:

45 Sheets 1/8″ X 48″ Nom. X 72″ Nom.
    10 Sheets 3/8″ X 48″ Nom. X 72″ Nom.
    12 Sheets 1/2″ X 48″ Nom. X 72″ Nom.

I dug up this old picture of when I picked them up one time…it made me laugh :)

Basically, they are made by Zotefoams and expanded by various supliers. Their line is called Azote products and depending on the structure, they put a Plast/EV/Sup/Prop in front of “Azote” to make the names. They are made using a  high-pressure nitrogen gas solution manufacturing process. The expanded blocks were then sliced into sheets and trimmed using either a bandsaw or a waterjet. If you look at my picture, you will see the edges are basically black while the remainder is grey. I often bought mine untrimmed to gain the extra inches and get a pad slightly larger (ie. 50″ wide instead of 48″ wide when trimmed). Most companies get them trimmed which is why all the sides/edges are the same color.

You can probably find all the differences online so I won’t bother posting all the details, but if you are looking to do a group buy, I have the contact and can share it if you send me a message. Keep in mind, I am in Toronto (Canada) so the supplier is Canadian and shipping this massive stuff is one reason I got out of it. You might be better off finding someone locally.

Let me know if you need any help.
    Steve

Brendan Cohen
    BPL Member

@bcbigd-2

Thanks Eugene! Definitely looks like the path of least resistance.

Brendan Cohen
    BPL Member

@bcbigd-2

Thanks Steve. Big help seeing it boiled down like this.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools