Topic

Outside Magazine: Gear Junkie has the ‘Most Credible Endorsement of Gear’

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Outside Magazine: Gear Junkie has the ‘Most Credible Endorsement of Gear’

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

http://gearjunkie.com/outside-magazine-editors-letter-on-gear-junkie

“The most credible endorsement of gear I’ve ever heard.” That line comes from Sam Moulton, a senior editor at Outside magazine who captained the ship for the publication’s 2011 Winter Buyer’s Guide issue, released this past week. The quote is directed at Gear Junkie founder and editor Stephen Regenold, who reviewed and wrote on shell jackets for the Buyer’s Guide this year, and the “most credible endorsement” line is in reference to Regenold’s week-long jacket “test” in southern Chile last February, where he led a four-person squad, Team GearJunkie/YogaSlackers, to a 2nd-place finish in the week-long, 400+ mile Wenger Patagonian Expedition Race. The full text is below, including requisite photos of Regenold assembling a bike (with a shell jacket on) in the heat of the race as well as members of his team employing camp pads (inflatable Therm-a-Rest NeoAirs; see video here) in a bold move to “raft” remote whitewater near the tip of South America. Credible gear testing indeed!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

http://www.outsideonline.com/templates/Outside_Print_Template?content=131010738

And the winners in the 8 Gear of the Year categories are…

ALPINE SKIS: Rossignol Super 7
    RESORT JACKET: Helly Hansen Odin Mountain
    SNOWBOARD: Rossignol Krypto Magtek
    BACKCOUNTY SKIS: Volkl Nunataq
    SNOWSHOES: Atlas Aspect
    RUNNING SHOES: Saucony PowerGrid Cortana
    BACKCOUNTY JACKET: Canada Goose Hybridge Lite
    BACKPACK: Salomon Quest 30

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi Chris,

You can laugh but I get more information about new gear from them then I do from here. If you are that closed minded maybe you are the one that needs to move on.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

My comment about getting more information about new gear was directed to the "Gear Junkie" newsletter and it is free.

I don't read Outside Magazine.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i find it most interesting that the recommended gear includes a resort jacket and a down softshell active insulating piece

i didnt know that we needed a specific resort jacket to go to resorts … perhaps i dont go into conditions where i can use a down softshell without incurring a good risk of wetting out the down when active …

hmmmmmm

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Well, It looks like if you are part of the "Staff" you can delete your own comments.

By/Bye Chris.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

A few videos that most here should enjoy:

Race Videos

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Hi Chris,

You were back and now you gone again?

You may notice that I did not say everything I read at Gear Junkie was good. Just more to pick and choose from.

The Fast and Light series is/was Ok.

At my age I am no longer be very Fast but I can still be very Light.

I still enjoy reading about all the hikes and other adventures posted here.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

At this point, I don't feel like I can contribute anything worth reading to the thread, and would just be giving you something else to argue with.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

How do you think there got to be trolls living under every other bridge in Middle Earth, that's right hobbits gave up defending their POVs.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Wow and editing out your entire posts like they did not exist ever. How Skurka like. Uncool Own your opinion.

David Ure

@familyguy

The problem is that Gear Junkie never writes a bad review and gladly accepts gear from his sponsors.

Did anyone read the article on water treatment? Seriously?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Sites like that are about making money, not about unbiased gear reviews.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Gearjunkie.com is evil, because Steve R. knows better.

The fast and light series is neither.

I find the Outside comment innocuous. The Patagonia race was no doubt an excellent gear test, something all gear testers ought to aspire to, but can't always do in the course of larger-scale reviews.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools