Topic

Cilogear madness!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cilogear madness!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Yesterday my hiking buddy and I stopped by Cilogear to checkout what they got going on. All I can say is WOW!

Graham took about 30mins out of his day to show us materials and pack construction and packing concepts that makes Cilogear what it is. I was amazed and left outta there with my head spun.

OK- so they are alpine packs and expedition packs- WAY WAY overbuilt for what the majority of us need.

Are they the lightest packs? No.
    Are they light? Yes
    Are they the toughest? Probably.

The Woven/ Non-Woven Dyneema Worksacks are probably the burliest packs you can get. Chenault and you crazy mothers should look at this one.

The rest of us should look at the 30L Worksack or, the one that I like: The 30/30.
    No, its not 60L, its a gun reference. Power and reliability. The one pack to do it all.

The beauty of their design is pretty amazing in its versatility. There are only a few reviews and they talk about it being strappy. Well the straps are totally up to the user. The packs start out with no straps and you add the ones you need.

Need compression for long trips? add straps on the sides- or front.
    Need to attach axes, shovels, or skis? add straps on the front panels -or sides.

There are the Cilo combination of Dee- rings and slider straps all over the place so the possibilities are endless.

This may be a little fiddly at first, but who here isn’t into fiddling with their gear anyway. Plus, there is no ‘right answer’. Its not like “For skis- place straps here and here”
    Its like “hmm… I can put my skis like this, or like this, or like this.” And with the Dee ring/ slider combination- changing them is a breeze, they come right off and go right back on. in a different configuration. For example, look at how to use the straps on the website. D1 to S1 to D2. or S1 to D2 To S whatever… Whatever… the point is you can do anything.

Now most backpackers want external pockets for stuff. These packs are alpine style, stripped, but you can add them where you want. For me, The lid and some h2o pockets and I’m good. Some may want more- go for it- it can be done.

For the textile gurus… I’m not even gonna pretend I am up to speed and all savvy. But they definitely are using and developing cutting edge materials.

Have I actually worn them out? No. So feel free to write this off as untested opinion. Fair enough. I’m just saying that for the weight of say, some ULA pack you can have a pack that is big enough for all but the longest winter trips WITH all the goodies on the outside AND compresses down to be just big enough for a puffy and water/ snacks. … in like 2 minutes. One pack to rule them all.

Oh yeah, frames… Super stiff foams, or plastic (HPDE?) w/ Aluminum stay, or newly a back panel similar to MLDs new Klymit one. It is made by Klymit but is a little different than Ron’s. If you have messed with Klymit’s stuff you know how with the pump you can make them super stiff, but its light as air (literally). Super stiff, light as air. It just has that ring to it.

Excuse me for the novella, I think I just saw the future. (and it rocks)

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

So, never seen one, never used one,….

They let you touch one? :)

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I have no doubt the woven/non fabric is the bomb. I also have no doubt that I'm not spending that on a pack anytime soon.

I've been interested in Cilogear for a while, and the 30:30 looks great. The exact capacity of that and the 45 are a bit of a mystery, I'd like to see exact dimensions on the CG site. Then again, I imagine an email to that account would be quickly answered.

A custom 30:30, with VX sides rather than Gridstop, would be a nifty.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I love the look of their packs. My big issue is the shoulder straps being sewn on flat. I'd expect better from them.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Yeah I saw them, and put some on. Did they let me demo one? No. have to buy one as with most small companies. I'm just saying its the real deal and worth a look. Take it for what its worth. If you think I'm full of it then ignore me. (I wont get upset)

Yeah they are $$$ but so are a lot of UL things. I think the difference is that instead of 'will this last through a PCT thru?' its more like "Dammit now I'm stuck with this same pack for the next 10 years." :)

Sorry for offending anyone with my enthusiasm for awesome products in my field of hobby.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

i have a cilogear pack an love it for what i do. the 40l holds pretty-much everything i need for a couple of days in the mountains. if it's winter it just means a couple of things get put under the lid or strapped along side.

not too sure what's meant by "shoulder straps being sewn on flat." v1 and maybe v2 had the shoulder straps sewn straight across. later versions had/have the shoulder straps sewn on an angle to better match the contour of a person’s shoulders. if that's not what's being referenced i'm sure they have a reason for doing it the way they do. the packs are very well thought out. you can give graham a call about it and i'm sure he'll explain his construction rationale.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Richard, that's what I meant. The pictures of the new 30:30 show the straps sewn straight across and not at an angle like you describe, although Grant did tell me they were sewn at an angle. Maybe they're using photos of a sample pack and not a production pack.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

looking at the picture of the 30:30 it does look to be sewn straight across. the 30:30 and the 30l share the same suspension. maybe on these packs with the simpler suspension they go with the straight straps. need graham to weigh in.

Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

I don't own a cilogear pack, I have spoken with several people that do own the 30L worksack and have climbed with them. Those people I talked to raved about the comfort of the pack, and thats with 30+ lbs in the 30L. Graham knows what he is doing. There is a good reason some of the top alpine climbers use his packs.

David Ure

@familyguy

Interesting. I have never seen one of their packs in person, but have spoken to several who thought the comfort was seriously lacking. Maybe they have changed suspensions?

As far as toughness – I would pit a Mchale full Spectra pack against one of these any day.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

i checked on my pack which is sewn the same as the 30:30. the tabs that attach the shoulder straps to the pack are angled. the angled tab allows the strap to contour to your shoulders.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Emailed about dimensions of the 30:30 and 45. Will post answer.

Like I need another pack.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

David Ure

@familyguy

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Their packs have always always interested me, but unfortunately, I believe they are a tad bit too specialized for someone like me. I do zero ice climbing, and hardly any mountaineering these days, but their packs seems to be strictly for the alpinist. Great tool holders, Zero frills, very skinny for maneuverability, no outer waterbottle pockets (ever lose a waterbottle while mountaineering? Yeah, someone below you is getting a broken arm),and most importantly-a suspension that is dialed in for climbing mobility over comfort (less beefy backpanel, removable hipbelt, strippable everything).

This of course, is just my take on it.

I think the more traditional packs by other cottage makers provide better livability for the average backpacker that browses these forums. Doesn't mean I can't stare and wonder…their packs look awesome, and their reputation amongst the elite alpinists speaks clearly of their quality.

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

+1

never seen these packs in person, but think they are well thought out and pretty darn cool.

David Ure

@familyguy

Not sure many dirt bag climbers can afford the bags. In my parts, most use MEC Dyneema Gridstop bags that cost $50.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i was looking at them, but i wont buy a pack i cant try on first …

so i ended up with an osprey mutant 38 which does everything i need, and is covered by ospreys feed it to a bear and well take care of it warranty …. you can pick one up for $100 these days

theres nothing wrong (or particularly right) with using climbing packs for general usage IMO, sure it weights more, but then if it fits well and can carry what you need … they can take a beating for those who like to whack a few bushes as well

not everyone wants or can afford a pack for every circumstance …

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

"not everyone wants or can afford a pack for every circumstance …"

I agree with this, which makes cilogears even more illogical for the majority of us here. I'd venture to say that most of us on these forums do more backpacking/thru-hiking than alpine climbing. To own a cilogear would be buying a pack for those few occasions or circumstances where they are ice climbing or mountaineering–which I presume is not the norm on these boards. I think most of us are better off buying a traditional pack with pockets/suspension/and features more catered to lightweight hiking, and maybe even using that same pack for the few times they find themselves in the "true" technical alpine. Eric, I think you're in the opposite boat from the majority of us, in that you do more alpine climbing than traditional backpacking, hence I understand your reasoning that there is no need to buying a normal hiking backpacking when your alpine pack has worked fine for approaches etc.

David, while the prices of their pure dyneema ones are extremely high, their gridstop pack prices don't seem any more expensive than those alpine packs offered by TNF, osprey, or Arc. Dirt bag climbers are just that…they can't afford the majority of brand new packs offered by any retailer. But at the same time, is it really that inconceivable for even a "dirtbag" to save up $150 and get an awesome gridstop climbing pack that will presumably last many many seasons? Otherwise, who's keeping Cilogear in business? Traditional backpackers or strictly vertical pursuers? I would imagine its the later, given the packs' feature set, the company's sponsored athletes, and targeted audience. Or maybe (Cue Eric), it's a bunch of yuppies who wish they had awesome technical climbing skills, don't really enjoy the outdoors, but will buy this pack to fake it til they make it? :)

R S

@rps76

I eff bombing LOVE my 60L. For those who really aren't familiar with them, check out their Vimeo page. I posted a video from it a while back but it didn't seem to be a "hit".

http://vimeo.com/cilogear

Kyle Dempster knows what SUL in the Alpine is all about. Haha.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

I think the standard (and fancy dynemma) Cilogear packs are a good value, knowing the wholesale cost of top end materials (pure dynemma is what, 100 bucks a yard?) and that they're built in a craft shop.

I'd love to own one, and get closer every day.

When I was a dirtbag climber, we spent all our money on gear. Hence the dirtbagness.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

'A pack for every circumstance"

Exactly. I believe, for me at least, that something like the 60 could be one pack for every circumstance. I like alpine packs for normal packing. I use My Dana Shadow Peak a lot. Put everything in the bag, lights/ 1st aid in the lid. I guess I sorta figured that more people like them for normal packing.

I Guessed wrong apparently.

Hey R S- when you take off the straps and compress it all the way, what do you think the volume is?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Can you explain that better? Are you saying the photo is incorrect?

R S

@rps76

Jeff- I'm no mathmetician but I would say it's comparable to my BD RPM pack which tops out at around 27L.

And to add to it, if you fully bloat the thing (Gasp I said fully bloat on BPL), including using the full extension collar, you have turned your 60L into 80-90L pack.

The Dee Clip is the reason I bought my Cilo. Clip one side, both sides, the top, or the bottom closed. Add a strap here to do this, add one there to do that.

In all honesty, the 45L would be an awesome choice for most. It expands to a 75L and compresses to around 22L. I just went with the 60 because of the outside "crampon" pocket that the 45L doesn't have.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Oh wow. Thats way too big.

Yeah the 45 sounds better. I think I'd get his shovel pocket. it seems pretty versatile. Put stuff behind it, carry lots in it as an exterior pocket when needed.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools