Topic

Looking for a good weekend trip in the bay area (CA)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Looking for a good weekend trip in the bay area (CA)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Locale: PNW

Hey everyone,

I just moved to San Francisco and a couple friends and I want to go on a weekend trip somewhere relatively close to here. Scenery doesn't really matter, so I'm open to mountains, beaches, cliffs, etc.

Although I've lived in the area before for some time, I never really went backpacking around here and I haven't the slightest clue as to where to start. I'm used to backpacking the sierras, san gabriels, san bernardinos, etc.

We would prefer a place where we can get water nearby, stream/lake fishing would be a great bonus but its not a deal breaker. Just looking for a fun weekend getaway.

Any trail suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Point Reyes
    Henry Coe
    Mt. Diablo
    + a dozen more

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Thanks for the quick reply, mate. I'll start researching those areas

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Ken is correct about Point Reyes. The area is quite beautiful but you can only camp at designated sites. I would also look at Big Basin St. Park or maybe Skyline To The Sea trail. Portola St. Park in San Mateo County has a few options. Ohlone Wilderness in Alameda County is another option. If you travel just south of Monterey there is the Ventana Wilderness where there are multiple places to go.

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

This is why I love this community, so helpful!

Thank you so much!

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Henry Coe can be hot and dry. Some good hills and elevation change that will keep you in shape over the winter months.

Lost Coast, a bit further north, is a bit of a drive (maybe 5 hours from SF? probably not worse than Ventena), but wonderful.

The Big Sur area, as mentioned, has some wonderful spots. You will leave with poison oak.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools