Topic

New Home Page?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I am seeing a new home page without the toolbar to the right. Have to go to Community to get to the forums to get to the new posts since last visit.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Not anymore.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Such service, Thanks!

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Well, I'm still getting the "new" Home page without the sidebar or the truncated ARTICLES. I have to go to COMMUNITY to find the sidebar again. I even logged out and back in, just in case. No joy.

This "new" Home page looks like what non-members would get when they first call up BPL on the net……even though it recognizes me as a member, properly logged on.

new home page

Siegmund Beimfohr
    BPL Member

@sigbeimfohr

Same here, without the picture.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I see the popular forum shortcut links below the picture.

IMO, the home page was incredibly cluttered and that made it difficult to find quick information. As a member, I rarely visit it and instead go straight to the forums.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Very well done!
    Great idea to get rid of the clutter.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Same for mobile version?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

So far I'm diggin' it!

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

It was nice to be able to go to the home page and immediately see what new articles were posted. And to have a full menu on the right, albeit yes, it was too 'cluttered.'

It sounds like others besides me are also now going right to the forums. Could that be saying something about the rest of the site?

BPL could probably do next to nothing, and still attract a lot of folks who enjoy exchanging information, and BPL is the best vehicle I've found for that; although frankly, I haven't looked very hard. But competition can still change everything overnight. Look what the competition did to Toyota when it decided to limit choices and dictate to customers about their needs, and cut some corners on quality.

If I were to run across a better vehicle for exchanging info, what other features would keep me at BPL? Sure, you can do without the print magazine, and the store, and even the comprehensive reviews, like the one several years ago of nearly all single wall tents then available.

My suggestion is that you find BPL equipment that you can review and highly recommend. If you do this really well, you will have a big draw. It may mean scrapping most of the time spent on the duds, for learning about them doesn't stimulate buying decisions, which has to an important element of any business like yours. But the silly new links after most posts won't accomplish that. Most of the info helpful to buying decisions seems to be coming now from the forums, and unless you are reading a post from someone like Richard or Chris Townsend, the forums are not always very reliable. There is a lot I miss with BPL's streamlining its product.

Another suggestion would be to put together a better, attractive index of your best articles and reviews. The stories of items not easily found on your search program are legend, too embarrassing to even go into. We have often done better using Google to find stuff on BPL.

Hope you haven't 'thrown out the baby with the bathwater!' Or maybe you are getting ready to bail, and don't care about that. It happened big time after Kemsley sold out Backpacker. In this information age, it could happen a lot faster now. Sad.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools