Topic

REI Members sale: Save 20% off regular item and 30% off outlet item

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals REI Members sale: Save 20% off regular item and 30% off outlet item

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    E H
    Spectator

@hengman

Locale: Central Florida

REI offers Members 20% off 1 regular price item and 30% off 1 clearance or outlet item (Exp 10/16). Use code: FALL4MEM

Also take 50% off one shop service or gear rental in-store. Free shipping on orders $50+ or select free in-store pickup. Tax where applicable.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Thanks for the headsup!

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

You can get a great deal on any one of the following by using the additional 30% off
    1) Ibex Indie Merino Hoody Baselayer -$48
    2) Patagonia Sun Hoody – $27
    3) REI Flash 65 Pack – $94
    4) REI Flash 50 Pack – $80
    5) Women's Nanopuff (few sizes) – $84
    6) Golite Peak – $63
    7) North face Womens Verto Windshirt, size Med (2.4oz) – $45

Ceph Lotus
    BPL Member

@cephalotus

Locale: California

Here's a tip…go to the REI website, and search for "Reduced". You'll get a listing of over 1,000 items on clearance, which you can take an additional 30% off using the coupon code. The 30% discount only applies to one item, so choose carefully.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=reduced

Weiyi Wang
    Spectator

@wwyjedi

Locale: mid

One more tip:
    you can use multiple checkouts (1 item each checkout) to get more items with the discount.
    enjoy.

Jake Palmer
    BPL Member

@jakep_82

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"you can use multiple checkouts (1 item each checkout) to get more items with the discount."

It's a one time use coupon so this won't work. If you did manage to use it more than once I would expect them to cancel any orders beyond the first.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

REI's system for these codes is nearly 30 years old. You can get 30% off a sale item PER ORDER, just like 20% off a full price item PER ORDER. They don't have a way to track multiple uses of a coupon.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Ethics come into play here? They do advertise good for one item.
    Duane

Jake Palmer
    BPL Member

@jakep_82

"They don't have a way to track multiple uses of a coupon"

I'm pretty sure they do since they keep the entire purchase history associated with your member number. I used my 20% off yesterday and the guy looked it up in the system to see if it was still available on my account. And as Duane said, even if you do manage to use it more than once it's not very ethical.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Sure, they CAN manually check your history. But the computer system cannot flag these transactions.

jennifer ross

@jenhifive

Locale: Norcal

If you specifically buy another item just to use the 20% off they still get about a 20% markup (depending on manu/price/item) on whatever you're buying so technically they are still making a profit. I think they try to keep it to one item because on their pricier items like specialized bikes they don't have a big mark-up so I think sometimes they do take a hit on the discount. I'm not going to weigh in on whether I think it's right or not but I really don't think it's a big deal.

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

I knew someone a few years back that did multiple one item orders and believe he said while the discount was taken, the savings past the first item was subtracted from his dividend. I've never done such so cannot confirm this however.

Regardless, it's seriously bad karma.

Tyler Fisher

@qtrlbrwchs

Locale: northern california

So is it unethical to use coupon codes from newsletters you didn't sign up for or weren't intended for you your use?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Yes it is.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I would just like to point out that one cannot determine the profitability of a business solely by looking at the gross margin.

But I think it's a safe bet that REI could not turn a profit on an aggregate gross mark up of 20%.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

REI doesn't exist to turn a profit. REI is not a publicly traded/owned company. It is a co-op, owned by its members.

REI also returns 10% of ALL (full-priced) purchases back to its members.

We're really only getting an extra 10% off with this massive 20% off event coupon.

You may now return to the ethical questions.

Mark Mathis
    Spectator

@78staff

Locale: NE Florida

hard to get excited this year, not much I need that I can't find elsewhere cheaper anyway… Been itching to pick up a helium but even at 20% off it can be found cheaper in a quite a few places :(.

My other recent want is the Snow Peak Trek 900/1400 kit, which is locked in at $99 pretty much everywhere, so $20 would be cool but they don't seem carry it for some reason.

I mean I like REI, and I spend enough their to get a bit of a dividend every year, but realistically they are high prices compared to the multitude in internet shops out there…

William Brown
    Spectator

@matthewbrown

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns

I agree Mark, but other than Backcountry.com, REI has the best return policy in the outdoor retail industry. I'm getting and Exped Synmat7 ul with my voucher this fall. I'll give the pad a try and so will the rest of may family over the next year of camping. If nobody likes it, I'll simply return it, with no questions asked. I've never returned any of my purchases to REI before, but it is nice to have that option, especially in internet land where I can't try everything on the camping store floor first.

And for those that are cool with scamming the system that REI has in place. You seem to have no comprehension of how a business operates and how many people(employees and customers) are affected by your lack of character.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

LL Bean has same policy as REI. Use their Visa and even return shipping is free, if still the policy.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

>> And for those that are cool with scamming the system that REI has in place. You seem to have no comprehension of how a business operates and how many people(employees and customers) are affected by your lack of character.

LOL… "scamming"? You've got to be kidding. Do you really think that REI isn't aware of the "loophole" that allows members to do multiple orders and use the coupon each time? Their system can retrieve all my previous online orders *and* it knows how to track gift cards and expired promode codes *but* they can't figure out how to program it to recognize if a promo code has already been used??? LOL… I don't think so.

I went to an REI store today and used both of my discount codes and purchased a few other things besides. But they didn't have the socks I wanted in my size, so I just logged into my account (with my membership number) and ordered the socks plus one of my husband's favorite shirts on clearance that they don't carry in the store. When I went to check out, both discounts were automatically applied without my putting in the promo code.

As I use the same name and membership number in the store as well as online, I don't see how this is "scamming" the system. So, you're telling me that you, as a person of character, would explicitly call the online order department and ask them to take the discounts off?

jennifer ross

@jenhifive

Locale: Norcal

"And for those that are cool with scamming the system that REI has in place. You seem to have no comprehension of how a business operates and how many people(employees and customers) are affected by your lack of character."

Gear Deals is described as "Announcements of online & local sales, coupons, etc. Commercial posts…more OK, but ONLY if you are announcing a sale or coupon."

So now I have a lack of character from using coupon codes others post from their newsletters? So is BPL unethical for letting us share them? I don't think so.

William Brown
    Spectator

@matthewbrown

"As I use the same name and membership number in the store as well as online, I don't see how this is "scamming" the system. So, you're telling me that you, as a person of character, would explicitly call the online order department and ask them to take the discounts off?"

No. As a person of character I would not have submitted the codes online after I had used my coupon in store. Or vice versa.

William Brown
    Spectator

@matthewbrown

"So now I have a lack of character from using coupon codes others post from their newsletters? So is BPL unethical for letting us share them? I don't think so."

Learn to read. I was speaking of scamming REI by double using one-time-use coupons.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

>> No. As a person of character I would not have submitted the codes online after I had used my coupon in store. Or vice versa.

But that's my point. I didn't submit any codes. The discounts were applied automatically. Frankly, I don't even know if there's a way to take them off.

>> Learn to read.

LOL… that would be the pot calling the kettle black, no?

In anycase, like I said before, there's no way that REI isn't aware of the loophole and the fact that it's still there means it works to their benefit.

William Brown
    Spectator

@matthewbrown

>>>But that's my point. I didn't submit any codes. The discounts were applied automatically. Frankly, I don't even know if there's a way to take them off."

Ah. I see. My appologies. Your scenario is an REI glitch, or not, as you have shown.

>>>In anycase, like I said before, there's no way that REI isn't aware of the loophole and the fact that it's still there means it works to their benefit.

Only time will tell.

REI has and will revoke memberships for abuse of their programs. I can also tell you the dividend bonus will be voted on this year and if the co-op does not return a high enough profit it can be reduced or even done away with.

Basically. It's an honor system. If people are cool with working the loopholes, then so be it. I just don't understand why people would join a co-op with very cool programs and then think of ways to abuse them and per chance lose them for others.

Oh well.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools