Topic

Awesome cheap puffy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Awesome cheap puffy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

I may goto louisville tommorrow to get one for my upcoming AT hike in november, if i do i will be sure to get u one in xl.

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

I cut the sleeves and zippers off the girls xl last night and got it down to just over 8oz!

Then I took the cut off sleeves and made down booties for my girlfriend. Super easy. I kept the sleeve cuff elastic and just closed off the end and sealed it with a scrap of the extra sleeve I cut off.

I'll be using my new vest this weekend on the AT in GA so ill give a warmth report after.

Thomas and Ike send me a PM and ill get some jackets for you!

Ben F

@tekhna

Totally agree about the Double Diamond Softshell. It's not super-light, but it fits me really well and seems to work pretty well. I mostly use it for cooler/rainier days on my bike around town. For 30 bucks it's great. Doesn't seem to breath wonderfully so it probably wouldn't do for layering, but I'm very happy with the cut and wind/water resistance.

david
    Spectator

@davidvcd

Found them at my local costco.
    The XL green fits comfortably but a bit loose but the sleeves are just a tad short if I move around.
    The L black is tight but sleeves are way too short, as in a couple few inches shorter that an XL.

Looking to possibly turn it into a vest, use the arms for down mitts or socks or both.

However, I'd like to layer this with a montbell UL jacket (size S) which fits me comfortably. do people put the vest over or under ???

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I bit the bullet during last nights Costco run and bought my store's last XL jacket in green.

Stuff Sack weighs – 5/8oz
    Jacket w/o stuffsack weights – 11.5oz

Costco Triple Point Jacket – XL
    Costco Triple Point Jacket

Montbell UL Down Parka – Large
    (for comparison)
    Montbell UL

*Model is 6'-0", 180lbs

Took the seam ripper to it and found removing the sleeves was fairly simple. If you're careful you should not have to remove the stitching for the baffles at the sleeves or the body and loose any precious down. Finishing it was more difficult for me with my limited sewing experience. I'm please with the results and will take on some more advanced projects with more confidence.

Vest w/ hood – 8.125 oz
    Costco Triple Point Vest

Closeup of stitching
    stitching

With my Montbell UL Parka over the vest there seems to be some compression to the down. But not to the point where it would be ineffective to layer the two items.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Costco also has a merino wool shirt for $20.

Anna P

@earth5

Thanks to Eric's post, I summoned the courage to take a seam ripper to my jacket. For those who are interested, I tried to take pics of the process, to show it's really not scary at all. And I absolutely suck at sewing. If I can do this, truly anyone can.

The jacket is actually sewn as a vest with sleeves stitched on (very conveniently in a different colored thread, making it easy to see which seam to rip).
    Sample showing different colored thread holding sleeves and vest together

I used the "facing?" that was used to make the seam pretty on the inside of the jacket in order to make the armhole pretty too (Have to seam-rip it out anyways to separate the two pieces, so why not reuse?).
    Sample of "facing" which was later used to finish the armhole

Unfinished arm holeUnfinished arm hole. Notice the gapping.

I hand sewed the facing back on to make the seam pretty (boy did THAT take a looong time!), because I wasn't sure how to have enough control on a sewing machine ;)
    Finished arm hole Finished arm hole

Side-by-side comparison of finished and unfinished arm holes.Side-by-side comparison of finished and unfinished armholes

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

Hi Guys,

Sorry to be a pain, but would anybody be willing to send through a couple of these jackets to oz? After one for my girlfriend and also want to whip a vest together.

Thanks!

Jeremy.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Good job Anna.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Way to go Anna! Looks great.

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Locale: Southern California

After some time I was wondering if any of you got to use your costco jacket and wanted to know what your thoughts on it were. I just saw it at my local costco still and was wondering about buying it but I already have a montbell ex light. is it worth it?

Ben F

@tekhna

Sell the Montbell. Buy 2x the Costco puffies and a 6-pack. Winning.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I have been wearing mine almost daily and I. Am surprised I have not ripped it yet. Warm, comfortable, light, simple and cheap. I also own a few Montbell and I like not having to be so careful when I wear this.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i dont own one … but i will say this personally

i tend to throw the cheap gear in the bag (cheap softshell, windshirt, 19$ synth old navy puffy now, etc …) first … because you can do what you want with it and if it should get a bit damaged, its not a bit deal ….or use it for more mundane things as construction, yard work outside etc … where you likely wont wear something like an exl for fear of damage (i own and use an exl)

im also most interested to hear of peoples experience with this piece of "cheap" gear …

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools