Topic

Awesome cheap puffy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Awesome cheap puffy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

I've got everyone in the family but my 12yo son covered for down jackets at the moment. He uses my wifes, but it's a biggish on him, and as a boy with a penchant for campfires and scout trips, I'm always worried it will come home trashed.

If anyone is planning on buying a one of these, and would be interested in picking up a couple of spares and posting to Australia, let me know, and we'll see what we can work out.

Cheers, Rod

Nathan Stuart

@forest-2

Locale: Hunter Valley - Australia

+1 for the Aussie postage and purchase.

I'd be in on that if possible.

Hey Rod, Maybe we could split the US postage and come to a deal.
    I'm after one for my smallish wife.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Ok, I can do that. Tell me sizes. In Black they no longer have the XL, which would fit a medium man, I think. In Blue they still have the XL. Not sure about the other colors. For reference the medium fits me well, at 5'2" and 110 lbs. I can pick them up tomorrow and ship them from my work on Wednesday. Just cover the jacket and shipping and I'd be happy to do this. Oh, the black has a bright green neon like inner…

Pamela Peng

@wuffruff

Hi Kat,
    Please could you help me get this too?
    I'll send you details in a PM.
    Thanks!!!

Pamela Peng

@wuffruff

Message deleted. Meant to PM.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I am getting three for Australia, one for Singapore, a couple for Christmas presents.
    Anyone else interested? Let me know by 1:30 pm PST.
    Katharina

Scott Lostetter
    Spectator

@slost

I picked one up at Costco today and I'm pretty impressed with it. I'm 5'10" and 165 lbs. and the XL seems to fit me perfectly except for the sleeves which are a tad short. The stuff sack that it comes with is bigger than it needs to be and weighs .4 oz. The jacket itself in size XL weighs 11.8 oz on my scale. The hood, cuffs, and bottom hem all have elastic built in and the zippers are YKK, which is cool. I put it next to my Patagonia down sweater and this jacket seems to loft up a lot better, but it could be because of the tighter baffles in the Patagonia. For 30 bucks I don't think it can be beat.

Here's a few pictures of it:

Pamela Peng

@wuffruff

Wow, it looks really great!
    Thanks for the photos.
    The only thing is that the fit could be better – looks like it has a longer torso to sleeves.
    Also, I wish the front part would come up higher to cover half the face.
    But well, for the price, its definitely a value that can't be beat!
    Looks really lofty and warm.
    I hope they have the black in my size – I really like the green inner too.
    Looking forward to getting mine, thanks to Kat! :)

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

looks like a great deal. have a few friends new to New England looking for a good down jacket as well.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

scott …

thats a lot of loft for $30 …

got a question if its not too much to ask … how does the down feel …does it compress easily under yr fingertips, also do you feel many feathers?

also is there any indication of anything else on the labels inside that indicate the fill power

either way … for a cheap jacket, i dont think you can go wrong

superstore here in canada has the $50 jackets with 90% down/10% feathers … its weights ~12 oz or so in medium, no hood though

edit … god i love how the ad below yr post shows all the patagucci down sweater ads for $$$$ …. lol

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

Fill power felt like 700-750 not too many feathers and no big ones

Scott Lostetter
    Spectator

@slost

Eric,

I agree with William above that the fill is probably around 700-750. It feels very similar to the other down garments and sleeping bags that that I have which use 800fp though. It's really quick to loft up out of the stuff sack and the fabric is really soft. Here's a few pictures next to my Patagonia down sweater.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

thanks

not to doubt you ,,, but id be very very surprised if a 80%/20% $30 down jacket is 700-750 fill

generally the 80% down i see varies anywhere from 500-700 fill …

either way for $30 it doesnt really matter as long as it keeps you warm !!!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

N Stuart(forest), I need your address. I sent you a pm yesterday. You seemed in a hurry to get your jacket. I have it here, ready to ship but you need to get a hold of me.
    Thanks, Katharina

Nathan Stuart

@forest-2

Locale: Hunter Valley - Australia

Hi Kat

Just sent you a PM.
    For some reason I didn't receive your PM to me which is odd or an email notification.
    I'll keep checking this thread to make sure it's all recieved.

Johnny Duke

@jd1987

I picked mine up today. $32 is awesome. Extremely comfortable although it's still too warm to wear right now. I'll post a pic of the blue one. I'm about 5'10" 145 for reference wearing an xl. Sleeves are just about right on me, (sorry about the hands in pockets)but closer to being too short rather than long. Mine zips up to right under my chin. I'm pretty impressed by it (especially for the price) so far.Blue jacket

Edit – it looks like it zips at my neck, but with the hood up and no hands in my pockets it is right below my chin. nice and snug like.

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

im modding mine today im getting rid of the heavy zip and making it a 1/4 zip with a ykk #3 also ditching the pockets see how light i can get this baby =D

Johnny Duke

@jd1987

Nice. I like the quarter zip idea. I might get my brother to make some mods on mine too… interested to see how yours turns out.

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

i got it down to 9 ounces mods i made include cutting out the zipper and pockets converting it to 1/4 zip and removing the hood i will get pics up soon

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Rod And Pamela , I shipped yours yesterday.
    Nathan, I shipped yours this morning.

zorobabel frankenstein
    BPL Member

@zorobabel

Locale: SoCal

From the photos it seems long – which I like, but not exactly an athletic cut… I'll have to stop by Costco these days to check it out.

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Only con so far is that the back has very little loft in comparasin to the front or at least on mine it does. Some baffles are really stuffed some have very little down I may open up some stitches and move the down around

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

9oz is the weight on my MB Inner Parka. Any photos to add William?

Anyone have a guess to the fill weight of down? Could this be a good way to buy some down for MYOG projects?

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Yesterday. Wanted Blue or Black, but settled for Green. Neither store near me had those colors in an XL. Pretty sweet deal. I'll weigh it and post that later.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Dang, I wish was thinner. This is cheap enough that it wouldn't bother me to cut off the sleeves to make the vest that I've been wanting for a while.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools