Topic

Backpack Mods

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Backpack Mods

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jim harm

@jimmyjames1998

I am looking to get my pack modded by a local seamstress. The pack is a blackdiamond Sphynx 42 it does not have a removeable lid and also does not have any side zipper acess so what I am looking to do is make the lid removable and have a side zipper put in. any comments or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Jim

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Just my guess that the seamstress will charge a goodly sum for the mod. Are you so in love with this pack? Also that pack is pretty heavy for the majority of the readers here.
    Consider buying a new pack. Sell the old one to recoup.

Though the mods you speak of seem pretty straight forward.

jim harm

@jimmyjames1998

She was giving an estamite of no more than 30$ so it is not like it s going to break the bank. So any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Jim

Scott Nelson
    BPL Member

@nlsscott

Locale: Southern California and Sierras

I'm not sure what I can add, (but that hasn't stopped me in the past;) )I would think you would want a pretty strong zipper, at least a number 5, maybe a 10. One thing to consider if adding an access zipper to the main body of the pack is a way to reduce stress on the zipper when closing by having compression straps that "pull the pack closed" before you zip it up. These straps could have quick release buckles to open up when you want in. They could also serve to hold everything together in the worst case scenario that the zipper fails. A top lid could be simple like the Granite Gear optional lid for their Vapor Trail packs. You also might use quick release buckles on all 4 corners to make it easy to access the pack from front or back, plus easy to remove to use away from the pack. As long as you are tearing the pack open, is there anything you want sewn inside like a security, or hydration pocket? It is easier to sew a pack when open. Scott

jim harm

@jimmyjames1998

The pack already has compression straps and it allready has the hydration pocket so the only mods I would be getting made are the removable lid and the side zipper.

Thanks for the advice
    Jimmy

nate kurczewski

@nassstnate

Jimmy,
    I'm thinking about adding a side zip to my climbing pack, and was wondering how yours turned out? Do you have any pictures you can post or lessons you learned adding the side zip? Hope it turned out good.
    Thanks
    -nate

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools