Topic

Skurka to give slideshow in Duluth

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Skurka to give slideshow in Duluth

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Hey all –

I am giving my 2 Seas 2 Feet slideshow (based on my Sea-to-Sea hike) at Trailfitters in Duluth on January 3rd at 7pm. There will be excellent giveaways from GoLite, and I promise that the show itself will be excellent too. Sam Haraldson, who has been very helpful in putting the slideshow together, tells me that there are not many Duluth-based BPL members, but please pass along to any friends or family in the area who may be interested.

Trailfitters is based in the Fitger's Brewery Complex at 600 E Superior St; their number is (218) 722-6776.

At 5:45 or so there will be an open dinner at a Baja Billies, which is in the same building, if you'd like to come early and hang out.

Andy

Stuart Burke

@burkest

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

Andrew,

I live in duluth and will be coming to your presentation on the 3rd. Would it be possible for you to bring your jam 2007 prototype pack along? I am curious to get a look at the pack.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Stuart –

A fellow Duluthian? Excellent! Look forward to seeing you there!

– Sam

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Stuart – I will try, though I will be somewhat limited in what I can take with me because of airline regulations. I will definitely, however, have the Pinnacle with me, which is the bigger version of the Jam, and you are welcome to check that out.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I saw Andy's show in Dallas and it was great!

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I saw Andy's show in Seattle- it was FANTASTIC! Go and see it if you can. It was informative and his stories were enlightening and entertaining. Great job with your roadshow Andy!

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Quick story about Doug's attendance at the slideshoe in Seattle…

I had moved into the winter portion of the hike and was trying to explain what I had to endure during it, including the 20-below tempertures, frozen water sources, and 1,400 miles of snowshoeing. When I mentioned the 1,400 miles, Doug just starts laughing out loud in this crowd of ~60 people. I had never seen someone react comically to the statement, so I asked him if something was funny. He says, "Yeah, I'm just thinking about how much that must have sucked." In retrosepct, my thoughts exactly.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

He says, "Yeah, I'm just thinking about how much that must have sucked." In retrosepct, my thoughts exactly.

Ok Andrew, I think I know the answer to the following (but I COULD be wrong).

What might really make us laugh is for you to fess up and say what it is that brings you to Duluth in early January. he-he

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

I haven't been intentionally quiet about this, but I just haven't had time to get anything online about it.

On January 4th I'll be starting a 400-mile hike from Duluth to Ely along the SHT, Border Route Trail, and Kekekabic Trail. Hike name, "Ultralight in the Nation's Icebox." I'm bringing snowshoes but right now it looks like I'll be walking mostly on barely ground; and the temperatures aren't forecasted to be as cold as normal either.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

> "Ultralight in the Nation's Icebox."

Yes, unfortunately (for the name of your hike but fortunate for my weakling co-workers who constantly complain) Northern Minnesota is not living up to its Icebox-standards thus far this year. One never knows what early 2007 will bring though.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

One never knows what early 2007 will bring though.

So true. Down south (here in St. Paul), I was raking late falling leaves in shorts and a t-shirt Thanksgiving weekend and 10 days later the low temp was -4*F.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Jim –

I'm down in the cities visiting family for the holiday weekend and it was odd finding more snow as I drove South!

– Sam

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Just a reminder to folks in the Duluth area that Andy will be here presenting his 2 Seas 2 Feet show tomorrow night. See above for more info.

– Sam

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools