Topic

Man fearing bear attack shoots friend by mistake while camping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Man fearing bear attack shoots friend by mistake while camping

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind…

And I'm proud to be one of Cameron's ilk.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

An accident was made, but I don't see predictable events like this as tragic.
    This isn't a unique story, they come around every year.
    How distressed are we supposed to get over something so ordinary ?

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

You are nothing like Cameron the classless.

And turning the other cheek gets you slapped a lot.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Men in prison? Yeah ok. Congrats on second most idiotic post after your first.

Your way of looking at it is a bit slanted smart guy. The intended target was obviously not hit. People hunt everyday without shooting their tentmate in the face so it isn't really predictable now is it?

I'm glad you find humor in somebody being shot in the face just because you have a personal bias against what they were doing.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Bet the guy who got shot wishes his friend was packing spray instead. And a .22? I know of a guy who was shot 11 times with one of those and managed to run away. Were they packing that for protection or plinking? A sad event, that could have turned out worse or have been completely avoided. Dependent on your viewpoint though.

I have a personal bias against stupid people. This tragedy was a result of stupidity. Maybe more firearms training before ownership would be a good idea. Oh wait how about any training required? I have guns and never had to take any kind of test or class. Not wise.

I was on rifle team in high school and have had firearms safety training. I have also discharged an unfamiliar firearm in a friends house killing the stove, and barely missing my friends mother.

So I have seen both sides of the fence.

Done here.

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

Again? No wonder why Ryan has to charge us for all the bandwidth use. These posts are getting worse than the ads.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

I don't own a handgun nor do I carry while bping. My state requires a hunter safety course.

But to make jokes is uncalled for.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Find Class less mates today!
    Buy Eye ware at Amazon.
    Teddy Bears for Valentine.
    Golden Rulers for all.
    Ceiling Gun Fans at Target.

Sorry, maybe it's not even funny.

Cameron probably does not care if someone calls him names, he's a big boy. Michael, this is partly due to these faceless interactions. I know Cameron somewhat and he can come off as a smart ass until you know him better. Under that possibly gruff surface he is incredibly intelligent and perceptive and caring. It is possible that in person you two would have some interesting exchanges. I know I have butted heads here with people I don't know, and that is what happens.
    My 2.73 cents.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

True my lady. Football has started anyway.

Cameron my apologies for calling u an @$$. I'm out for a bit

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I second Kat's post.

Hey, let's all go for a hike today!

jennifer ross

@jenhifive

Locale: Norcal

Geez, my buddy told me about this and he also used the word kid. I was highly surprised to see that man who shot the other man was 22. I think Cheney was 65 when he shot a hunting partner so i guess age doesn't make a difference but my first thought was "where were their parents, who gives a kid a gun." 22 y.o. is an adult and pro-gun or anti-gun someone should have enough common sense to say "who's out there" before they start shooting blindly. So maybe there should be a common sense test you should have to take before they let you have a gun as they do when they let you drive a car. You know cover all the bases.

jennifer ross

@jenhifive

Locale: Norcal

LOL, ken, my grandpa almost shot me in the face when my mom was yelling at him not to point the shotgun around the house. He ended up showing her how it was locked by pulling the trigger on "lock" and shooting the stove. I'll never forget that old almond green colored stove with the gaping hole but I don't remember the incident which is why I lol.

And even more coincidentally my grandmother (divorced my previously stated grandfather) was shot in the head 3 times with a .22 last year. She's fine, she was life flighted to the hospital and released the next day. This was a case of stupid people on both sides. The gun was supposed to be for protecting their "plants" and instead was used against them by their growing partner (michael).

http://www.krcrtv.com/news/25265696/detail.html

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I don't know, but it certainly sounds like the plot of a reality TV show to me.

–B.G.–

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Fear or excitement changes a persons perception of reality drastically. Otherwise sane normal people can basically undergo a panic attack and lose touch with reality. This doesnt happen just in the woods, it happens in many aspects of life.

When someone suspects a significant other of cheating, everything they do gets rationalized into being part of that.

If someone suspects someone is out to get them, facets of everyday life get rationalized into being part of that.

And when someone is afraid of being attacked by a bear, everything they hear in the woods at night becomes part of that.

Paranoid delusion, maybe. But there is a fine line between sanity and insanity and it is easy to temporarily step on the wrong side.

A good friend of mine lived on 25 acres by himself when he was 25. One night he heard someone trying to break in his front door. He panicked and shot thru the door. When he got control of himself and finally went to check, it was just a big old dog on his front porch.

The first rule of survival, is you have to control your fear, and emotions, and not panic when confronted with dangerous situations. Whether scuba diving, mountain climbing, piloting aircraft, or even hiking in backcountry. When fear takes over, your chances for survival deteriorate. Many persons who otherwise would have survived minor problems in the outdoors, have made their situations worse or deadly by panicking. You have to recognize that when you feel that happen, you cannot make sound decisions.

Jack Marler

@jacknewman

Locale: Mississippi River Valley

If you hear something….Shoot, It won't be your best backpacking friend every time!

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

Well worth reading again.

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools