Topic

u.l. pack comfort

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) u.l. pack comfort

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Having owned both a Circuit and an Ohm. Both great packs. Between the two get the Circuit. You'll need to carry that canister more often than not. The Circuit is also more comfy with carrying the load you are talking about.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

<<"BPL's own test of the Pinnacle indicated substantial torso collapse at 25lbs. 40 lbs is absurd.">>
    Actually, the report says, "With a 35-pound (15.9-kg) load, the Aquilo’s performance stands out, while the Traveler and Exos 58 are similar, and the Pinnacle is a bit lower but still above the “neutral comfort level” (the 94% line)"

David Ure

@familyguy

"Pinnacle is a bit lower but still above the “neutral comfort level” (the 94% line)"

Sounds Scientific.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Is that praise or criticism?

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Of all the gear we carry, the backpack is the most difficult to choose. That's because of the word, "comfort." Most other items can be chosen based on their specifications.

We can buy a new, lighter zero degree sleeping bag to replace a heavier zero degree bag and we have lightened our load but not sacrificed service, only money :-O
    The same can be said for replacing a heavy stove with a lighter one. Both will cook our food and the food will taste the same either way.

But a pack — IMO this is where "comfort" trumps "weight." A comfortable but heavier pack will feel lighter than an uncomfortable but lighter pack. An important consideration for an UL pack in your circumstance may be how well the pack can shink with your 10-day food disappearing. For an UL pack to even have a chance at being comfortable, it has to be packed tight as a wedge to give itself structure. Some UL packs can do this at full volume, but as you say, the majority of your volume will decrease over the course of your hike. However, if all your trips include a bear canister, this is a mute point.

Personally, I've tried lots of pack ranging the gammut of weights and have come to the conclusion that I am almost always happier with a heavier but more comfortable pack for a given situtation. In the grand scheme of things, you are starting out in the 30 pound range, so what's an extra pound if it means you will be comfortable.

I would pick an internal frame pack for those weights (but that's just me). However, as you have begun to see, not all internal frame packs are created equal. Equally important is the fact that we are not all created equal either, so a pack this is the most comfortable in the world to me, may be awful to you.

BTW, the most comfortable pack in the world to me is the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone. As per my paragraph above, that is most likely useless information to you specifically. Do I take the Ozone every time I go out? No, I have many packs that are lighter that I would choose for light loads. But, if I have 30 pounds on my back, you can bet I'm grabbing the 3-1/4 pound Ozone without hesitation.

Best of luck in your search.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Well said, Michael. Spartan packs are like Spartan sleeping pads– you're gonna pay for the light weight. Packs and shoes need to work for the user. Either can make take miles off your day or make you miserable. If the rest of your kit is light, you can afford a little more in the pack department if that makes it all work for you. And that doesn't have to be a 6 pound boat anchor either.

I'm of a mind that you can have one item in your kit that is on the heavy side without blowing your base weight completely. One :) If it takes a couple more pounds of pack to get you out on the trail and enjoying life, by all means, DO IT.

jennifer ross

@jenhifive

Locale: Norcal

Mike, I'm your biggest food fan. I just posted this earlier this week.

"4oz of well cured meat has more bang for the buck (including flavour and texture – important morale boosters) than any veg product I know of, but I'm interested to hear about your backpacking diet."

This was asked earlier in the thread and I don't think was answered. In Mike Clelland's book "Ultra Light Backpackin'" (we're all familiar with this, right?), ALL of the recipes are vegetarian because Mike is a vegetarian. The recipes are rice and lentils, rice and beans, polenta-couscous which you mix with whatever sauce you're feeling. He includes recipes for a middle-eastern tahini sauce, pesto and thai peanut sauce or spiced oil. For a high-protein punch and energy during the day have some "groovy-rific bars" and "spackle".

We followed the book and ate nothing but what recipes were included (also gorp, oatmeal and freetos) in the book for 16 days on the jmt. Before we got the book our "go to" backpacking food was clif bars, veggie backcountry dehydrated meals, Justin's peanut butter in a corn/wheat tortilla (we just spackle in them now), hummus or tabouli on pitas, spicy asian ramen, oatmeal, gorp, home dehydrated apples, bananas, and mangos and/or whatever was conveniently in the house.

I just found Fantastic World instant food so on my next trip I can try falafel, vegetarian chilli, refried beans and spicy black beans. I always thought being a veg made it easier for food. What could be easier than adding lightweight Vegetarian Chilli to a little boiling water for a delicious backcountry meal?"

It's funny that I always bring way too much food and too little tp so while I'm not a fan of wiping with young pinecones I was glad I had read your book when I found myself out in a pine forest with no nice leaves in sight.

I figure a liter of water and garcia bear can alone is 3.6 lbs and 1.4 lbs a day times ten is 14. That's 17.6 lbs plus bug spray, sunblock… I'll stop there but it ends up being about 20.

Also, we think you made up tomato powder, couldn't find it anywhere.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools