Topic

Lost Coast

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Lost Coast

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tyler Fisher

@qtrlbrwchs

Locale: northern california

Good evening.
    I'm planning a trip to the lost coast sobo from mattole to black sands. I've hiked it several times before but am concerned about tides. The tide table states that the high tides in the area are going to be between 6 and 7 feet and at their highest around noon. The section that I believe may be a problem is the few miles south of big flat. The tides during previous hikes were never over 4 feet and even at high tide the surf wasn't a problem other than a few points that I've planned on encountering at low tide for this trip.
    Is there anyone who has hiked the trail with tides being this high and what have your experiences been?
    Thanks, Tyler

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You do not want to even try some of the stretches on that south end past Big Flat anywhere near high tide. There is nowhere to go, unlike the northern section.

You might just have to schedule you hike times accordingly. I've skipped going there 'cause the tide times were all 'effed up.

Tyler Fisher

@qtrlbrwchs

Locale: northern california

Thanks Ken.

Looks like I'll have to find a little more time to wait out the tide.

jennifer ross

@jenhifive

Locale: Norcal

Well if it was four feet when we went before when I got wave crashed then had to hike wet back to the creek the tide almost reached the cliff. At 7, it would definitely have hit the cliff truly making it impassible. So you're back now, how were the tides?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools