Topic

Camp-tek Microburst?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Camp-tek Microburst?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Dan Smith

@dcsmith

Have any of you used one of these Camptek Microbursts to blow up your various air-inflated mattresses?

http://camp-tek.com/

After a long hike, I'm not a fan of having to take the time to blow up my air mat (Nemo Astro in my case) when I'm setting up my shelter. While probably not for the ultralight gram-counting crowd, this looks to be a pretty cool product for us lazy hikers.

Anyone else used this product? I think I'm going to try one. I'll do a review once I have my hands on one, but wanted to get some feedback from actual users before I take the plunge. It may be worth the weight penalty, especially at high altitudes and in cold climates when I'm out of breath anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I just got one and tried it out last weekend on my Large NeoAir. It worked great, took about 4 minutes. (I forgot to time it.) But what I am waiting for is the cold weather to hit and will use it for my down pads (now that I know it will work) as that is really the only time I need an inflation device.

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

Thanks for the tip Dan! I received mine today and am fairly well pleased with it. I have a Warmlite DAM which is great except I for having to inflate it with the supplied @#&% limp nylon pump sack. The Camp-tek pump makes it a breeze. Just plug it in and let it go. Oh yeah!

While I detest packing gizmos, this is 1.7 ounces I can live with (2.4 oz w/2AAA LI batteries). I use an AAA in my itp flashlight so the batteries will provide some backup.

I checked it on an older pump sack exped dam and it fits that well too.

If you use a Warmlite DAM you might want to check this out!

PS: The pump sack for my exped dam weighs 5.6 oz!

Dan Smith

@dcsmith

I got mine and will be making a video review with my Nemo Astro Insulated Mat here over the next couple of weeks. It worked well on my camping trip a week ago.

Bryan S
    BPL Member

@bswiz

Dan,

Looking forward to your video and any more thoughts on it, since I just got a Nemo Astro a couple weeks ago. Have yet to use it, but this is my first self-inflating pad so it will be interesting!

Thanks!

Ryan Elsey

@paintballswimguy

Locale: Kansas City

I've never used one, but my father was telling me that the company was started by someone associated with our Boy Scout Troop in some way. They do seem pretty neat though, But a little pricey for me

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

Does anyone know if the microburst will fit with the new flatvalves on Exped pads? Specifically the Synmat UL7?? It looks like this would be a better option than getting the exped pillow pump since it is lighter, and I already own and use a mont bell pillow

Thanks

Jake Palmer
    BPL Member

@jakep_82

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If you just want a pump for your Exped, they make a mini pump that's lighter (1.8oz with stuffsack) and cheaper ($20) than the Microburst.

Video of the pump here.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

This is teh answer I got from Camp-tek about campatability with exped flat valves. Looks like it is a no-go for now.

"From what I have seen this type of valve is similar to the Stephenson's
    Warmlight in that you insert the pump adapter into a hole to make the
    connect as opposed to having a protruding valve. The Microburst is
    designed for the protruding valve type mats and will not work with these
    kind unless you have an adaptor that fits them. I include such an adaptor
    for the Stephenson's Warmlight mattress in the box, but it will not fit the
    Exped type valve because of diameter differences.

Later models of Exped are some of the few mattresses that Microburst does
    not work with because if their unique air entry designs. The earlier
    versions used a standard protruding valve and it works well with those. An
    adapter could likely be made but it would require investment in a plastic
    mold which is expensive. Perhaps if I get enough requests to justify it, I
    will look into making an adapter for Exped. However with the abundance of
    other lighter weight alternatives on the market, it has not been a priority
    as yet.

Steve"

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

Try the Instaflator. I can inflate my Kooka Bay DAM that is 24x72x2 in 1.5 bags of air. It's fast and easy. Not sure about the durability so I got 2 but I've been using one all season. I just roll it up inside my mat. So far, it's been great.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

I used mine again this weekend and it took 3:75 to inflate a Large NeoAir.

Andy Mueller

@andym801

Locale: Wasatch Front

Just curious, as I've never blown up a Neo Air… how long does it take to blow up using your lungs?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

It takes roughly 20-30 breaths to blow up a NeoAir regular/large. I was using a regular, and I counted 22-24 breaths pretty consistantly without getting dizzy. About 1.5-2 minutes. I am guessing a large would take a bit more, closer to 30 and about 2-2.5 minutes.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Works good. Have a drink while your pad inflates.

Will be interesting to see how it does at altitude.

Dan Smith

@dcsmith

I have a short video review of this product that I haven't had time to upload yet. I'm blowing up a Nemo Astro Insulated Air Pad with mine. I'll have this done before the end of the year.

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

I just got one.

Nice for two down pads.

Michael Landing
    Spectator

@polarproadventure

I contacted Camp-Tek and FlyWeightDesigns packraft to see if their system will work together. I got a response from both companies that say they are both looking into it currently. Would be nice to have a multi-purpose device/backup battery source for my headlamp. Can't wait to see a video review on this device but I think I'll be picking one up this week anyway.

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

Took 12 munites to fill up my wife's BA size large ( 72/ 25) insulated air mattress.. Can't imagine sitting in camp, somehwere on the JMT. and listening to this electric motor whine for 12 minutes.. each night that you're out on the trail

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

Scott,

Does the BA large hold that much more air than the neoair large? Mine takes between 4 to 4.5 minutes to inflate. I always wondered if the valve on my old BA mattress was leaking when trying to inflate it with their pumphouse bag. Maybe that is why it is taking so long

Dan Smith

@dcsmith

I'd discuss with Camp-tek. There is no way it takes 12 min to fill up your mat if the unit is working correctly. I have a 20X72 nemo pad and it takes 2-3 minutes for full inflate.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I bought one to see if it really worked. It does, like a charm. It blows up my Stephenson's DAM in no time (couple of minutes, I didn't time it). An added benefit is that the adapter by itself also works to easily deflate the Stephenson's. I'm really liking this little thing.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I've had both of my BA IACs leak around the threads of the valve when attempting to inflate them with the instaflator. Worked fine and home but I gave up when "in the field" and blew it up "manually". It seems like the valve needs a little forward pressure to keep the threads from leaking.

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

On a related note.. anyone tried one of these on a Kooka Bay Pad ?

That's why I ordered it in the first place ;i.e. if it worked on my wife's BA pad, I'd order up a Kooka Bay..

Based upon the board's feedback ,I can buy into the fact that the BA may be the problem.. However, I ain't going to pop for the Kooka if the Microburst only works on Neo's..

Eric Marcano
    BPL Member

@ericm

Locale: Southcentral Texas

I tried it on the Exped Synmat UL 7. I held it against the opening on the "Deflate" side and it worked well. The other option it to pinch the green valve on the "Inflate" side from underneath, fill and then release the valve to prevent air from escaping. Not ideal but extremely fast. About 55 seconds or so with a fresh set of alkaline batteries.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Here is a review I did of it after using it most of the winter.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/MicroburstRay

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools