Topic

Down leakage from tiny holes in quilt shell?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Down leakage from tiny holes in quilt shell?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brandon Guy
    BPL Member

@brucky

Locale: Central Cal

I'm working on a karo quilt and have one concern so far. When I sew in reverse to lock the stitch it seems to pull a tiny little hole in the fabric. Not sure if that makes sense or if anybody else has experienced anything like it. So, I'm winding up with a little hole in each end of every baffle. It's not huge, but I can see light through it and I'm worried that down will leak through it.
    So I have two questions before I continue.
    1. What can I do to eliminate the holes? Reduce tension? Use smaller thread (I'm using gutterman diygearsupply stuff)?
    2. The bigger question, what can I do to seal the holes already made? I was thinking making some sort of silicone mixture similar to a seam sealer or buying the flowable silicone stuff. Any better ideas?

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

Nylon is woven so the individual threads will close up around the existing holes so don't worry about that. A little bit of down leakage seems to be par for the course on projects. Think about it this way, there are thousands of individual "downs" in each ounce, if you lose a few in each use, you still will never run out. As far as prevention, lowering your tension might work. I am still learning how to make minor adjustments to thread tension on these light weight fabrics so I can't be much help there. I will say that I have found that the slower I go when I am doing the lock stitch at the beginning and end the cleaner it looks, which to me would seem to mean that less holes would exist.

The questions to answer is how are you feeding the fabric as you sew?

What size needle are you using?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Try running the machine manually for those last few stitches. I get good results using the handwheel on thinner fabrics.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> When I sew in reverse to lock the stitch it seems to pull a tiny little hole in the fabric.

Your tension may be a little high for the fabric.
    But rather than reverse the sewing at the end, just stop and tie a knot. Well, that's what I do, anyhow.

Gutterman thread – rather coarse and cheap, consumer grade. OK for clothing using heavier fabrics. For UL gear (silnylon etc) I use Amman Rasant 120 on the light fabrics. Pro grade.

Cheers

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

This is likely a tension issue, I'd try loosening both your upper and lower tension and see if that helps. If you're experiencing any "puckering" along the stitch lines, or notice your shell losing width, that's probably the cause, even if your stitching is evenly locking the top and bottom threads.

Otherwise, my experience has shown me that some machines simply don't do reverse stitching very well. This is often true of commercial machines. Another option, which was ubiquitous before industrial straight stitchers all started including reverse, is to lift your presser foot with the needle in the work, and spin it around 180deg, and stitch forward, back along the same line.

Gutterman thread like every big business, has various grades and styles. They've got some great thread, but the standard retail poly thread is a little course as mentioned. I much prefer Mettler Metrosene Plus for home machines. Although it's not available in very large spools, or cones at all.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

+1 on Mettler Metrosene. Also have some Superior thread that has done well for me.

Ryan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools