Topic

Looking for a bushwhacking day/overnight pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for a bushwhacking day/overnight pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Chase Norton

@micronorton

I need a 20-28L pack that will be able to withstand the punishment of off trail bushwhacking. I care about the weight, but am not trying to go SUL with a Zpack or something similar. Osprey really has my attention with the hornet 24, but can not decide between that or the stratos 26 top loader. The stratos is almost 1lb heavier, but maybe that means it can withstand the punishment?

Can anyone help with the difference between the hornet and stratos and if the hornet can take a beating? Or if you have another pack to recommend I am all ears.

Thanks,
    Chase

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I use the Talon 22 as a patrol pack, it sees a lot of off trail use and has been holding up just fine. It also carries VERY nicely w/ loads into the low 20's.

if you have anything close to long torso (19"+) stay away from the Hornet- their M/L is medium and not anything approaching L- I had to sell a Hornet 46 because of this issue :(

the material on the Hornet while light, did look like it would hold up decently- not bombproof mind you

Kevin Adden

@ermine

For off-trail daytrips and overnighters I use the new version of Mountain Hardwear's Scrambler 30 pack. I’ve tested it in thick Australian bush conditions that ruined my lightweight trail runners and hiking pants over two days and it came through unscathed.

MH Scrambler 30

This is a no nonsense pack with few superfluous bells and whistles. It has a minimalist waist belt and one zippered lid pocket for storage. At 30 liters it’s a little larger than I require but it’s compression system reduces the volume to nearly half I would estimate.

It’s constructed of 210 denier ripstop nylon so you don’t need to baby it. The current pack is much more durable than the previous version which used a lighter weight nylon. It weighs 600g (1 lb. 5 oz.) out of the box but I’ve stripped out the frame sheet and removed a few redundant bits and pieces so it now comes in at about a pound even (450g). (I use a partially inflated Thermarest Lite Seat sitpad as a frame)

Unlike the typical packs recommended by BPL members the Scrambler 30 does not have any external pockets or a roll top closure. The typical BPL pack is fine for trails but once you go bushwhacking external pockets and roll top closures are a liability. Roll top closures invariably allow debris in and external pockets are prone to catching and tearing on rock and or even worse – losing their contents. This is a lesson I learnt the hard way. I have in the past lost a 1 liter water bottle from the useless side pocket of a Gossamer Gear Mariposa. Hiking for hours under the hot Australian sun without water is not my idea of fun.

With the Scrambler I now use a Zpacks shoulder strap pouch to hold a 600ml water bottle and carry an extra 1 liter Platypus securely in the top zip pocket.

As for your Hornet vs Stratus question I would definitely not use the Hornet for bushwhacking. Being constructed of 70 denier nylon it would most likely be destroyed on its first outing. The Stratus would definitely be a better pack but it has mesh pockets which as I mentioned are not a good idea. I have used an Osprey Exos for bushwhacking in the past and whilst the body of the pack held up reasonably well the mesh pockets got shredded.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

anything constructed of dyneema gridstop 210D+ … or ~300-400D+ regular pack fabrics

check climbing backs as they are slim profile, usually tough, have no mesh, etc …

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Their 20L haul or work sack, if you want to support a smaller manufacturer. The narrow profile should also be perfect for bushwhacks.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

This is what I picked up for the same purpose. Love it so far. Very comfortable strap system too. Good price as well, super tough.

tz

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FTK

Oh yeah, weighs the same as my Ohm.

clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

I got one of those Jandd packs as well, for the same reason. Net mesh pockets are nice, unless your hiking near Catsclaw and heavy brush.

Barry Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@nzbazza

Locale: New Zealand

This pack is my do-everything pack for going to work, carrying stuff, day trips, summer overnight trips etc. Mine is now about 8 years old and will be good for another 10+ years. It is one robust pack.

http://cactusclimbing.co.nz/index.php/virtuemart-mainmenu-162?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=88&category_id=80&vmcchk=1

Cactus Climbing Miklat

"Our nice, simple canvas day pack built for New Zealand’s rugged conditions. Simple construction, minimal seams, c-canvas for durable water resistance and that traditional, diamond-in-the-rough feel. The size, simplicity and all-round toughness make this a popular pack for commuters, walkers, trampers and hunters alike. Also, in a nice (and, it has to be admitted, unplanned) turn of events, the Miklat meets sizing requirements for cabin baggage – another string to this pack’s bow. An extremely versatile Cactus classic."

Colour: Black
    Volume: 40 Litres
    Weight: 840 Grams
    Fabrics: C-Canvas, C-1000n6, C -210n6, NZ origin foams

The Miklat replaced a Macpac that had 20 years of everyday use and abuse. The current Kakapo 35 would fit the bill as well as the Miklat.

http://www.macpac.co.nz/shop/en_nz/shop-by-activity/everyday/everyday-packs/kakapo35.html

Macpac Kakapo 35

"Sustainability starts with products that last; buy a pack that you can use year after year, trip after trip and finally can be given to the next generation to be enjoyed. The Macpac Kakapo is such a piece of kit; classic clean Macpac lines, extremely durable AzTec® fabric and a no frills set up."

Size S2, S3
    Harness T-Boneâ„¢
    Capacity 35, 40lt
    Weight 1.25, 1.35kg
    Fabric AzTec®
    Colour Black, Cardinal

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Definitely not ultralight (or even close!), but tougher than anything else out there. Designed with military/LEO use in mind. Your grandkids will be giving it to their kids to use!

Two packs fit your size requirements:

Falcon – 25 liters
    http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/FALCON-II-BACKPACK-12p110.htm#details

Condor – 32 liters
    http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/CONDOR-II-BACKPACK-12p106.htm#details

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

Maxpedition is good stuff. The wifey just got me a Falcon II for my B-day and it's WAY overbuilt for ultralight backpacking unless you're busting some SERIOUS brush. It's my go to day pack for packing around town (great organization) and I'll be using it for hunting this season.

It's only 25 liters but the hipbelt is 2" and the shoulder straps are very well padded and seem well designed. I think it'd carry 30 pounds almost as well as a Jam. And with all the Molle webbing and straps you could load it up and accessorize it and get the capacity up there. I plan on experimenting with it for some longer backpacking trips like Big Bend just because I can strap a pad to the bottom and water to the sides and not worry about the thorns and such out there getting to my gear.

I haven't tried yet but it looks like the hipbelt is removable.

It does weigh in the 2 pound range though!

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I own both of these Jandd packs.

Jandd Tozi Kletter is the way for a bomber light weight 1.69 pound pack. It is 37 liters weighs 27.2 oz and made out 500d cordura
    and a 1050d ballistics nylon bottom,3.8" padded back removable hip belt.Price $78.95.
    Replace the sided shock cord compression with para cord.
    Has a bottom attachment lash point for a sleeping pad or you can carry
    it vertically on the back of the pack side lash points.

Jandd also makes makes a 35 liter panel loader with side pockets called the Mogen Daypack has zippered side pockets
    to put 1 liter water bottle of what ever in them, 500d courdura 1080 ballistic bottom,
    Removable hip belt and weighs 29.4 oz. price $84.95. You can strap your thermarest trail pro behind the front compression straps
    or the bottom or to attachment lash points for sleeping pads.
    http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMD

Jandd also has water bottle carriers and removable pack pockets 3.28 liter and little hip belt pockets that are the best in the industry.
    What's nice about the Jandd pack you can add or remove different accessories as needed from the lash points.

If you rock climb and need a to haul climbing gear Mystery Ranch Pea pod 33 liter
    is great I own this pack in the new Navy blue color it looks great also with futura frame
    it will haul loads 30 plus pounds comfortably. and is bomber designed by Dana Gleason the master pack designer.
    http://www.mysteryranch.com/recreation/hiking-climbing-packs/sweetpea-pack
    Terry

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

Does not exist. This is why I made my own. It is not pretty. My sewing skills are minimal, but I got just what I needed and after one season of hard, off trail use – it has performed perfectly and I am very happy.

DIY

Dave

Jon Franklin

@junto01

I actually have the Prophet but the Burn is made of the same material and it's tough as nails. The craftsmanship, quality and comfort is also fantastic. You'll have to look up the volume capacity but it should be within your specified range.

If you've seen pics of the Burn youll notice that it's rather narrow for it's length, I think this will be extremely advangateous when bushwacking in order to maintain a narrow profile to minimize snagging etc.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

doesnt the burn have a mesh back pocket? … i can see stuff snagging bushwhacking … course you could get a custom order, just make sure it fits before hand as you can return customs

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

I have a "super" burn which replaces the mesh pockets with those made from the same material as the pack. As noted above it's got a narrow profile, so might be a great option for bushwhacking. The pockets are pretty deep too which is also ideal for off trail use

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools