Topic

slim fit hiking pants?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) slim fit hiking pants?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I was wondering what slim fitting hiking pants are out there. I currently use REI Saraha Convertibles, which work great. I wear track pants at home to lounge around in and was thinking it would be nice to find some hiking pants that fit like them. I don't ever use my pants as shorts. Anyone know of relatively inexpensive slim fitting pants that can be used for hiking? If my track pants weren't black, I would try using them.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I like slimmer pants as well and haven't found anything yet. Not skinny or tight, more classic jeans fit. I am also skinny and everything looks kinda baggy on me. Some plain, synthetic khaki style pants with a low profile would be a nice find.

Dave G
    BPL Member

@dapperdave

I've just bought a pair of these :

http://marmot.com/products/trail_wind_pant

They are very thin fabric,slim fitting, no fly, one small mesh lined thigh pocket, simple elasticated waist (comfortable under a pack belt) and 140g in size small.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I noticed the Prana and Marmot pants, and one of the high-end REI items, are definitely slim fit. If you've got a store near you, hands-on is the best way to tell and I think you'll find several choices to check.

Robert Devereux
    Spectator

@robdev

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

Check out Outlier.cc. Their stuff is expensive, but they are slim fit softshell pants.

Another option is you could start with a standard pair of hiking pants and have a tailor slim them down.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Have a look at the Prana Zion pant. Available at REI.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Arc'Teryx Ramparts are slim-ish, with flat cargo pockets. They are available from REI, too, so they are sometimes on sale.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I need to head to REI to try on some pants. It will be nice to have some suggestions in mind rather than searching for a slim fit and getting frustrated. I have some nice fitting marmot softshell pants, so marmot may be a good choice for my body type.

J. Lopes

@jay_nj

I have two different types of Northface pants that I would consider slimmer then most hiking pants.

Emmett Lyman
    BPL Member

@ejl10

Locale: Northeast US

+1 on the Ramparts. I bought them for rock climbing, but also love them for hiking.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Climbing pants often have tight fit … Dead bird ramparts/gamma lt, patagucci some of the guide pants, prana, etc

If u have a tight azzz u can always wear the womens sizes … In hawt pink of course ;)

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

I wouldn't describe the Ramparts as a slim fit. The Palisades are better for that. I'd describe the Ramparts as a typical cargo pant/khaki type fit (making them great for warm weather).

Colin M
    BPL Member

@colinm

+1 on TNF

I have searched for slim fit hiking pants for years! The REI Sahara pants are so baggy it is difficult to lift my knee up in them.

I had the Arcteryx Ramparts, but I too like the slightly slimmer fit of Palisades pant. The Gamma AR pant take slim fit to extremes… looks like I'm wearing tights.

My favorite has been (believe it or not) The North Face Outbound pant. For convertibles, I like The North Face Paramount Peak (they are still a tad baggy, but much better than the REI Sahara).

None of these are inexpensive though. :/

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Railriders Backcountry Khakis

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

1+ Railriders. Love mine, best fitting pants I have.

Jimmy Bui

@jimdbui

http://outlier.cc/ indeed does have some slim-fitting pants. I have the Climbers and they are the best pants I've ever owned, because they look good, feel good, and work in the city and on the trail. They were my only pair of pants for nine days while traveling around the city and hiking/camping in Oregon. However, they cost a pretty penny and because they are softshell, they run hot when you really get going in the sun in them. Rolling them up doesn't help since the slim fit will seal in the heat and really cook the eggs…

I bought a pair of Marmot Rockstar pants which are more of a thinner softshell with a straight leg cut. I've yet to test them out in the heat. I've tried the Arc'teryx Ramparts and they are too baggy. Marmot Matthews look like they can be a winner though. Good luck. Let us skinny boys know what you find!

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Stoic pants are cheap and pretty slim on backcountry.com. Arc'teryx ruined the ramparts 2 seasons ago and now the palisades with making them looser at the bottom and with more seams. Outdoor research ferrosi pants or equinox aren't bad and they have some new pants for fall out now.

Alejandro P
    BPL Member

@deskojockey

Glad to know Im not the only one! I hate almost all trail pants. You don't see military ECWCS the size of parachute pants so why do they think its better? You end up snagging on everything. I have found that buying womans trail pants seems to work best as most of them are a slimmer fit. You just have to make sure they dont have the flared cut, ha! If your over 6'-2" this may be a problem.

Yeah it sounds kinda weird I guess, but hey what ever makes you the most comfortable on the trail.

Jimmy Bui

@jimdbui

@robert cowman Good suggestion on Stoic. I took a look at their pants and they are pretty nice. It seems like the Microlith is fuzzier and warmer than the Overhang. The general consensus seems to be that you have to size up for your waist and your troopers…

Bill Wang
    BPL Member

@billwang

Locale: SF Bay Area

This year I just switched from REI sahara to the AT Palisade. They have a 35" inseam for size 32 waist that fits me perfectly. They are also more comfortable, seem to be very durable, and a few oz lighter including a very good belt. The cost if way higher, of course.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

Outdoor Research pants have a really nice slim fit. I hated how most hiking pants fit me like "parachute pants", and had searched and searched for slimmer fit, and finally stumbled upon the OR pants. I forget the exact model, but I would assume most of them have a similar fit.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I finally bought some nice hiking pants this year after years of using cheap, baggy ones. I went with the Patagonia Rock Craft pants (the successor to the Rock Guides). They have seen a lot of use and have yet to show any wear. They'll last long enough to make the money ($80, but I've seen them on sale for much less) save me some in the long run.

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

I just got some really nice pants from target that are slim fitted and all poly or nylon, cant remember. Really simple, and real light and thin

They were labelled as golf pants and only cost $30!

favorite new find.

Dustin Smith

@dsmith87

Locale: Bethesda, MD

I've found my First Ascent Guide Pants to have a pretty slim fit. Definitely more slim that my Arcteryx Ramparts and Kuhl Renegades. The First Ascent ones basically fit like a pair of jeans but are nice and cool even in the summer.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

I blew out my first pair of fa guide pants in 2 months this year, they gave me a new pair, i expect it to last till xmas

Good thing eb has a no questions asked warranty … The pants arent the most durable

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools