Topic

Muir Project Video

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet or not, but this is a cool teaser video of an upcoming project, (full length video ?), from these guys. I was doing a weekend training/fishing hike to get the feet and lungs ready for my upcoming JMT hike when our group ran into these guys at Rae Lakes to witness that sunset over Fin Dome. It had been raining from about 11:00AM that day and the rain broke for awhile giving us a spectacular sunset over Rae Lakes. These guys were pretty cool folks and were carrying a LOT of gear, but man what a spectacular video!!

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

That video is beautiful. The did carry a lot of stuff, but with the exception of some musical instruments, it seems like almost all of it is camera gear. Such great quality out of it all though that the weight was well worth it in this case. Man that video made me want to go hike. I've got two weeks until that can happen though. Thanks for sharing it.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Wow…that was just the teaser? looks like it's going to be a great video. Yeah, not really lightweight, but the scenery, camaraderie, and photography seem awesome.

Ric Serena

@rserena

Thank you so much for sharing this. I think you met Jason & Jennifer (my wife) at Rae Lakes. We're hoping to set up a gallery exhibition and eventually cut a documentary, but in the interim we're releasing some choice images and videos to drum up interest. You can keep tabs on us at http://www.themuirproject.com. Thanks again!

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Just a positive diversion to all of the other chaff circulating, I figured I'd give this video a 'bump' to give everyone a taste of summer on the JMT. Check it out, it is cool!!!

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Wow Wow Wow. That was some pretty awe-inspiring well crafted footage. Really captures the excitement of that trail. If the JMT needed PR, I think we've found it. Good luck with the rest of the film!

Edit: I just watched it again…. Beautiful! And the music…it all comes together so amazingly well. I finished the trail a couple weeks back with the impression that I had my fill of the Sierras for foreseeable future, but watching those couple of minutes really gets me excited about going back. Well done guys!

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Very cool. I need vids like that to stoke some guys, who have never backpacked, on High Sierra backpacking. Soon, a group of Boy Scouts will watch this.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

The video is so good it is just going to increase traffic ;)

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Yeah Nick, I thought of that as well, but amazingly the JMT was like a ghost town this year in August when I went. The snow must of scared a lot of folks off, because there was a couple of days we would go for most of the day and not see a soul. It was the first time it has ever been like that for me. We were moving at a pretty brisk tempo to catch up to folks as well. I'm sure if the snowpack returns to 'normal' next year, so will the horde of hikers!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"but amazingly the JMT was like a ghost town this year in August when I went. The snow must of scared a lot of folks off, because there was a couple of days we would go for most of the day and not see a soul."

Strange. We ended up using the JMT from Wallace Creek to Tyndall Creek on our way back over Shepherd Pass in August and must have seen at least 40 people. They come and go, I guess, but the snow sure hadn't discouraged these folks.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Tom, Interestingly, that is one area we did see a few folks. We saw 9 people from Rae Lakes to Vidette Meadows, 2 people from Vidette Meadows to Tyndal Creek, then probably 20 or so later that afternoon. Most of the people were already camping at either Wallace or Wright Creeks by the time we passed through. But for that day we saw around 30 – 35 people at most. We had another stretch from LeConte Canyon to Lower Palisade Lake where we saw nobody! I kind of liked it a lot less crowded, but it was kind of eerie being up at Forester Pass and not being able to see anyone in either direction as far as the eye could see. We thought they had some kind of warning to clear the trail for an alien attack and we didn't get the memo!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Tom, Interestingly, that is one area we did see a few folks"

I could speculate that by the time you get that far south, you've got people getting on the JMT via Road's End in KCNP and Kearsarge Pass, plus a few via Shepherd Pass and the Kern Canyon connector trail, but your observation about Forester Pass sort of puts that in question. I don't know. Strange, because historically the few times I've been on that section I've genrally encountered far more people than anywhere else in Kern country. One of the unsolved mysteries of the universe I guess. No problem. As long as they stay on the JMT, I'm a happy camper. ;)

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

It's good to see people putting something positive and creative into the world.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

As long as they stay on the JMT, I'm a happy camper. ;)

I like it !

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Cool video bump-o-rama!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I did the JMT this summer too…makes me miss it even more.

Francis DeRoos
    BPL Member

@fderooscomcast-net

Locale: Mid Atlantic

@ Peter,

I totally agree. can't believe I left Yosemite on Sept 19th, seems like forever already…. Clean video that sparked some great memories in me. can't wait for the completion of the project.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

And well choreographed. I would really like to do this trail. Someday maybe.

Konrad, really?? I can never get enough of the Sierra. It is just so beautiful everywhere I've ever been. And I can't wait to get back.

Good luck on finishing this project and keep us in the loop on the release details.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Just came across this project on Jolly Green Giant's blog.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/themuirproject/mile-mile-and-a-half-a-feature-documentary?ref=live

Please consider donating a $1.00 (or more).

Looking forward to the full film.

Mike

Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

Locale: Southeastern Michigan

Oh, WOW!! That is just beautiful! Man, I'm wasting my life here in Michigan! I really need to consider moving to California!

I want to do the JMT. I know people say it's a crowded trail but I don't care. Just to see in person what I saw in this video would be heaven.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

already posted 2 weeks ago here

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools