Topic

Vacuum Food Sealer Recommendation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Vacuum Food Sealer Recommendation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Looking for a recommendation for a vacuum food sealer. There are too many manufactures and model — Seal-a-Meal, Food Saver, VacMaster, Coso …

I will be sealing up at most 4 bags at a time. I don't expect a home unit to the same duty cycle as a commercial unit. It will be used for storing dehydrated food.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I have a food saver that I got from Costco 5+ years ago. Granted it does not get a ton of use but it still works fine.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Food Saver from Costco as well. Best price around for the most part. Use their bags, they are the best home bags I have found.
    http://www.foodsaver.com/

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Thank you for the recommendations. I will be on the hunt, since I am no longer a Costco member. Gear for making food. It does not get any better…

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Check on Amazon as well :) And this is the season for sales as well – Cabelas always seems to have them on sale in early fall.

Brian Austin

@footeab

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Note, they sell the machine cheaply, and they ream you for the bags. For long time storage, yes vacuum packed bags work good. But for backpacking, the bags themselves are very heavy in comparison to even zip-locs. Now they might have made them much lighter than my old ones, but… I wouldn't bet any money on them.

PS. CUT BAGS LONG. That way you can keep reusing them. Every time you seal a bag it uses about 3/4 inch that you have to cut off and throw away when you open it up.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've had very good luck with the Pump-N-Seal (http://www.pump-n-seal.com/). I wouldn't recommend it if you really need things in plastic bags, but if you can do with mason jars, empty jelly jars, etc., then this thing really works.

You punch a hole in the lid of the jar (using a push pin) then cover it with a little "band aid" thing that has a rubber pad in place of the gauze part. Put the pump over the band aid and pump till it's done. The little band aids can be reused many times. I wouldn't bother with the bowl-seal lids they sell–those are awkward to use and not worth it IMO. But for jars it's great.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

I went with the FoodSaver model 2200. Works very well, so thank you all for the recommendation. The jerky looks like Hans Solo packed in carbonite.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Lol……love the mental image!

Btw, if you are ever sealing rice or pasta dishes I have found that a piece of new white paper towel put in the bag first, then the food will protect against any sharp edges poking into the bag. In camp you can use the paper towel for cleanup if needed :-)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools