Topic

Just bought a used sewing machine

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Just bought a used sewing machine

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jeff J

@j-j-81

Locale: Oregon

…with the intent on making a bivy, a synthetic quilt, maybe a vest, and down the road a mid. So first, thanks to everyone who posted their projects; seeing what everyone has done has made me think I can do it.

The issue at hand is the straight stitch foot that came with the Kenmore 158; it's broken. Not terribly, but one of the "teeth" on the foot that helps the feed dog move material has snapped off. Also, the machine was missing the accessories that came with it when it was new, so this broken foot is the only foot I have right now. How badly do I need all the different feet (foots?)?

I'll wind up getting a foot kit sooner or later, but will this stop me from learning until I do?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Get a foot. They are inexpensive.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Zipper foot is good – if you're going to be sewing zippers

Only need regular and zipper foot

Jeff J

@j-j-81

Locale: Oregon

Okay, I'll get them sooner rather than later.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Highly recommend the Kenmore straight stitch foot. Cheap, and more versatile than the zig-zag feet that come on the machines. You can even use them for zippers, with less chance of snagging.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools