Topic

looking for a replacement knife

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) looking for a replacement knife

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I have a nice thin Voctrinox paring knife that I bought is was both thin, light and cheap (under $10). I like everything about it but one thing, it does not fit in my Evernew 1.3L pot for storage and transportation. Would anyone know of a similiar thing that I could use that folds up? Thanks.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Check out the Opinel line of folding knives. Specifically, the traditional wood handled ones.
    Very nice for the money.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Opinel is an excellent suggestion. Also look at the Ka-Bar Doziers on Amazon, They make a mini also. Came nice and sharp. Decent stainless blade.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I picked up one of the Ka-Bar Mini Doziers off of Amazon a while back and am happy with it. Since I got it, I decided to start leaving my Mora's home…ok, I bought it so I could leave my Mora's at home…

http://sticksblog.com/gear/knives-multi-tools/ka-bar-mini-dozier-folding-knife/

David Ure

@familyguy

This is what I use and it will definitely fit in your pot.

http://www.knivesplus.com/GB-6050-Gerber.HTML

Gordon Smith
    BPL Member

@swearingen

Locale: Portland, Oregon

I don't know how large a knife will fit in your cookpot, but for an all-around great pocket knife it's hard to beat the 1.4 ounce SOG Flash 1. It might be a little more money than your Victorinox, but it's a great little knife. I've carried one every day for the last 2 years and been very happy with it. If you're looking for something bigger, for about the same money a Spyderco Tenacious, Spyderco Persistence, or RAT Model 1 folder are all excellent folders. Reviews for all of those are included in Nutnfancy's YouTube playlist called "Best Folding Knives Under $40", as well as a bunch of other good knives including the KaBar Dozier mentioned earlier.

Gordon

Kristin Fiebelkorn
    BPL Member

@kushbaby

Locale: South Texas

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I have a little Ridge Runner that I bought in the checkout line as an afterthought at Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas. (This was during my hard core kayak fishing days). I think it was just a few dollars. It's 3" folded and 5-1/2" open with a good tough plastic body, a solid and well functioning lock mechanism, and a ~2" stainless blade that is half straight edge, half serrated with a good edge. Good grip for a small knife. Weight = 22 grams. I have used this thing constantly in the field, at home, in the yard…, and I hate to admit it, but it has gotten a lot of abuse and I haven't really taken good care of it – but you can't tell. It's been pretty bomb proof.

It's stamped "Made in China" if that bothers you (it bothers me more now than it used to), but if it doesn't, it's a great little knife.

Edit to add: Easily fits in an Evernew 0.9L, so it'll fit in yours…

John Coyle

@bigsac

Locale: NorCal

I don't see how you could beat the Bear Grylls Compact Scout knife for $13.54 American. Yes it's made in China, but so is everything else these days. I have one and it's very sharp. http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-000760-Grylls-Survival-Compact/dp/B004HYHKH6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=13155019

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

I second those suggesting an Opinel. I have a No 8 with the traditional wood handle. It is a dream to handle and use. And, since I am often hiking and backpacking with young ones such as cub scouts, I appreciate that it locks open AND closed.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Thanks everyone for the help. I tried the two local camping stores but they did not have anything. I went to Dick's and all they had was the Bear Grylls Compact Scout. I bought that (yeah, yeah, I know but it is only 27 grams, has a longish handle and blade, it is made by Gerber and the back half of the blade is serrated) for $16.31 out the door so I can't complain too much. Thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools