Topic

Considering a BA Copper Spur UL1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Considering a BA Copper Spur UL1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I'm considering a BA Copper Spur UL1 after seeing it on a trip recently. I generally backpack in the forested Appalachian Mountains and foothills in all seasons, but I might do some trips out west in the next few years, especially the northwest.

I currently have an 8×10 flat tarp, Moment, Scarp 2, and Hogback (for family trips). I have also tried a Golite Shangri-La 3 with and without floor and a netting perimeter. I decided that I don't like the center pole issue with mids. The Moment is great, but I wouldn't mind carrying a little more weight for more room around my head. The Moment has the extra room in the mid-section, which isn't as useful to me. Also, I don't like how easy it is for my bag or quilt to be accidentally flung onto the wet ground through the lower perimeter mesh. The higher solid sidewalls of the CS would prevent this, and keep out snow a little better. For serious snow, I'd of course be using the Scarp, but I hate to use a two person tent when alone if I can avoid it.

My Moment is 37 oz (41 oz with liner) with added stakes, guylines, sealing, and extra silicone coating on both sides of the floor to overcome the slipperiness issue. With the stakes and guylines I'd use with the CS, it would be 45.6 oz. I'm comfortable with my current pack base weight of 10-11 pounds. When I want to go lighter, I use the tarp and a headnet/repellent.

The Fly Creek UL1 wouldn't be enough of an improvement over the space in the Moment. The Rainbow would give me more room for less weight than the CS, but the netting is still near the bottom, allowing for more wind and snow infiltration.

Any other shelters I should consider?

Feel free to try to talk me out of the CS too.

How high is the peak of the CS fly door? Is it lower than the Moment?

David Ure

@familyguy

It's funny because I have gone from a small 1 person shelter(s) to an MLD DuoMid. I LOVE the space. The centre pole is not really an issue because I offset it ever so slightly to provide more living space and less vestibule space (so to speak). You can alos set it up with two poles angles at each long panel (wall) to provide unobstructed space everywhere. With a solo innernet for sleeping (or bug bivy) you will have an effective double walled shelter for less than 2 lbs with pegs and all guylines and runners, yet giving you more space than most 2 person UL tents (that weigh at least 30 percent more).

Maybe you just haven't tried the right mid?

Alternatively, there is the Nemo Equipment Obi 1 Elite at right around 2lbs and the upcoming Easton Kilo 1P that should be just a bit less if you are inclined to compare shelters to the BA.

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

Check out the new Six Moon Designs Skyscape.

William Brown
    Spectator

@matthewbrown

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns

REI is coming out with a one man double-walled tent under 3 lbs for a little over $200. Might be worth a look at that price point.

Ed Hayes

@ejhayes

Locale: Northwest

Any more details?

I had a suspicion REI would introduce a new ultralight tent since the Quarterdome T1 is really the only solo tent they offer.

I just bought the BA CS UL1 during the REi sale at $261. I'd take it back for an REI brand solo tent that was equally good, especially for the lower price.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I currently use a copper spur UL 1. I decided to go with it because of the side entry and the solid fabric on the body 1/2 way up. It really cuts down on drafts in the night. I don't have any complaints so far. It has much more room than say a MSR hubba (plenty of room for me @ 6'3". I like it because it is a no brainer when I want to set it up. No fiddling with geometry or site selection. I just pop it up and it is good to go. I also considered the tarptents, but like you, after I figured in the weight of guylines/stakes and such that I would use with the tarpents. The copper spur was only a few oz more, and alot more flexible. I also got it at a super discout, so I was not any more than the tarpents.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Thanks everyone.

@David
    : Good points, but I'm just not ready to try another mid yet.

@Ben
    : What do you think of the entry height with the fly on? You don't happen to know the height of the opening?

I'm having difficulty picturing the wall slope at the head end. It seems there are no straight-on photos of the wall which shows how much it slopes inward. Even better would be a photo with a person or sleeping bag inside the tent and showing the wall slope at the end.

Here's an insightful review with great photos:
    http://www.petesy.co.uk/big-agnes-copper-spur-ul1-review/

One photo shows the minimal side wall slope very well.

The guyout points seem to be not well thought-out. It apparently has 3 at the head end, which is the end containing the vent. It only has one at the bottom of the fly on the foot end. It seems like you'd want to pitch the non-vented foot end into the wind, but that end has less guylines. The tent structure seems to rely on the flex of the poles with the hub to withstand wind gusts, but apparently the poles still get bent sometimes. Guyouts seem like a better strategy. I wouldn't mind sewing on my own guyout points, but I'm sure that would void the BA warranty. Not a big deal, as I'll be in the forest 95% of the time anyway. It apparently holds up acceptably for even the open, windy, rainy UK.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

A friend of mine has both a Copper Spur UL1 and a Tarptent Moment. He prefers the Moment for some trips and the UL1 for others. I borrowed it one time and compared it next to 4 other shelters in the back yard.

My impression is that the CS UL1 is a nice design, better than the front-entry Seedhouse/Fly-Creek models, and seems pretty durable. Very roomy when compared to the Moment IMO, less condensation, and a bigger vestibule. Having zipper access to the small rear vestibule is nice. The only problem I had with it was the $$$; The MSR Hubba is similar in weight at the cost of some total volume and no solid side walls but I got one on sale for less than half the cost of the Copper Spur.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

@Ryan: Great to hear that direct Moment vs Copper Spur comparison! Any idea why or what type of trips your friend prefers the Moment?

Here's a video of the Copper Spur in a thunderstorm on the AT:

YouTube video

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

@Andy: actually, my friend is an AT section hiker. From what I gather he prefers the lighter weight Moment for trips with good weather expected and prefers the CS UL1 for trips where lots of rain are expected. The CS is a little more durable and he likes the large rectangular floor area.

I would personally prefer the CS UL1 for situations like that video you reference. My Tarptent Moment has served me well in good to mild weather but by the time I add a liner, footprint, more guy lines/stakes, and more seam sealer, I am only a few ounces away from a decent double wall. Besides, I have had some condensation and the "silnylon sag" issues.

In summary, I would prefer the Copper Spur UL 1 or MSR Hubba for the rainy AT and a tarp or the Moment for the drier PCT. Then again, having both allows you to swap and choose whenever you want!

Based off my experiences, something like an MSR Carbon Reflex made with similar fabrics to the discontinued Hubba HP with some venting options would be the best of both worlds and probably weigh around 2.5lbs.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Count the stakes needed on "freestanding" tents before you buy. Some of the BA models eat up TWELVE stakes for a full pitch. It looks like the CS UL1 uses nine stakes.

David Ure

@familyguy

Okay – no Mid. You should look at the Nemo Obi 1. Similar space as the BA but with some features that the BA does not have (i.e. a clip in the vestibule to pull out the door side of the inner. It is also lighter and truly freestanding.

David Ure

@familyguy

I like that video…BIG Thunderstorm. Really?

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Ryan, thank you very much for the feedback and information!

David, I'll check it out, thanks! Ha ha! Yeah, really just a noisy spring shower.

Dale, good point. I plan to consolidate some of the guylines and use thin titanium stakes for the four tent floor stakes.

David Ure

@familyguy

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

The Nemo Obi 1 looks neat and light but appears to have much less headroom. Maybe that is worth sacrificing to save a pound?

David Ure

@familyguy

40" in height should be good, no? What is the BA listed at?

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

CS is 37", and appears to maybe have a lower fly door opening height than the Obi. (?)

Ed Hayes

@ejhayes

The BA CS UL1 has a cross bar to widen the inside. The Obi uses the clip for that. I suspect the CS UL1 is wider when sitting up.

I considered the Obi too. Had the BA not been on sale right now at REI, I probably would have gotten the Nemo instead.

I do have concerns about the Nemo Obi not having a vent on the fly. Here in the NW, condensation happens easily. I find the vent on my current tent helps reduce the condensation a lot. On the plus for the Nemo, it looks to me like it could handle tougher weather than the BA.

David Hunter

@lime950

I own the Obi 1P. It has proven for me to be a near-perfect 1P, double-wall shelter. Pluses include a smartly designed and spacious interior for a 1P (39" wide at the head, 29" wide at the foot, 40" peak height and volumizing clips on the fly make for a very livable shelter), exceptional space in the shoulder, arm and trunk area when seated, plenty of interior height where needed (again in the area where you sit), very large and usable vestibule, easy entrance/exit due to a tall and wide side-entrance door, very fast setup-up, taut pitch, exceptional over-all ventilation and ventilation options (even without venting on the fly), very storm-worthy, excellent construction and has proven durable. Negatives are minor: Storage sacks and optional footprint that are heavier than they need to be, a head wall that is prone to deflect inward during moderate to heavy winds, and an optional gear caddy that has a design which looks good on paper, but is less than ideal in practice. Pluses far outweigh these minor negatives. If you are 6' and under, I can highly recommend this tent.

victor larivee
    BPL Member

@vlarivee

Locale: white mountains

I have been trying to get a CS UL1 and appears that they are sold out almost every where. recently i tried to get one during the REI sale and they told me they are sold out and that they will not be getting any more. Does anyone know if BA is discontinuing the CS UL series?

Robert Chavez
    BPL Member

@robertdetour-2

Hi Victor,
    The Copper Spur UL1 is still available and will continue to be offered next year also. I have one left in stock right now. I have provided the link below for you.

http://detourgearzone.com/big-agnes-copper-spur-ul1-tent.html

Cheers,

Robert
    Detour Gear Zone

Ed Hayes

@ejhayes

A few places in addition to REI had them on sale recently. I would guess the current stock was sold out then. I noticed this with the UL3 and UL4 too. 25% off was too good a deal :)

I bought one Sunday, Aug 28th from the REI sale and mine is backordered, but at least I was able to order one.

EDIT: I see the UL1 available for order on REI's website now, but it is still backordered.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

I was able to get 20% off of the full retail price of the new 2012 CS UL1. I'm sure there will be even better deals later in the year though.

The specs on the new 2012 CS UL1 are:

Trail Weight 2lb 6oz (tent, poles, fly, no stakes, guylines, or sacks)
    Packed Weight 2lb 12oz
    Footprint Weight4oz
    Fast Fly Weight 1lb 14oz
    Packed Size 5.5" x 16"
    Floor Area 22sq ft
    Vestibule Area 10sq ft
    Head Height 37"

"Trail weight refers to poles, fly and tent body.
    Packed weight includes poles, fly, tent body, stakes, guy lines, stuff sacks, instructions, and packaging.
    Fast Fly weight refers to the poles, tent fly and accessory Fast Fly footprint."

Apparently it lost 5 oz from the trail weight, but only 4 oz from the packed weight. I'll get it on the scale as soon as it arrives and find out what's going on with the numbers. One thing they did was remove the questionably useful pet door on the back vestibule.

My Moment with liner, double floor coating/seam sealing, and extra stakes/guylines weighs about 2lbs 11 oz. These extras won't be needed on the CS.

I really like the Moment, but here's what I see as the advantages of the CS UL1 over the Moment for me and my backpacking style:

1. Main structure doesn't rely on stakes, making setup on deep snow easier. (Yes, I do plan to use this as a 4 season tent, cautiously. :) I won't have to wait for snow anchors to setup, although I will use them. The fly does require staking at the door and back for its structure.

2. More floor space, headroom, and interior volume. I feel pretty crowded in with the head and foot ends of the Moment floor tapering down to 20" wide and a low height, especially using the liner.

3. Due to the high solid tent body walls, it's less drafty. This will also resolve the problem with keeping my sleeping bag and extra clothing from falling onto the wet ground through the low side mesh and the floppy bathtub floor on the Moment. I've slept in bivies and tarps without this problem, but somehow I can't seem to keep things off the ground inside the Moment.

4. I like the no fly option for those warm, fair nights, and for sleeping out in the open without feeding the mosquitoes at the same time.

5. Without the liner in my Moment, I often get either rained on with condensation, or a surprise wet smack in the head in the morning when I inevitably bump the inside of the wet fly.

diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

I like that the packed size is a relatively short 16 inches compared to say the 20 of the msr hubba. This aspect doesn't seem to get much attention from reviewers but is important to me with activities like pack rafting and bike packing where these shoter pack sizes lead to many more packing options in tight spaces.

How did you manage the 20% discount? Might have to give it a try.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools