Topic

Exotac nanoStriker Lightning

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Exotac nanoStriker Lightning

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

My new backup fire starter.

http://gizmodo.com/5835455/exotac-nanostriker-lightning-review-fire-on-demand

There is a nice video at the bottom of the linked page.

Discuss.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi Juston,

I get the GearJunkie Newsletter and a week or so ago it had an article on the Exotac- nanostriker. I saw your video and ordered an Orange one. I got it quick and have had a great time playing with it. I replaced the heavy cord with a lighter orange color cord and dropped a few grams.

It is now a part of my gear list.

Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

How is the striker itself? Seems small. Effective at its job? How would you compare it's throw to other brands? Thanks.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

The Exotac has gotten good reviews but I can't stand the tiny striker on mine. I find it difficult to get good sparks from it.

Neat design though.

Brad Burr
    Spectator

@bradjburr

Locale: Kansas City Area

Here is a video review about half way down the page…

http://www.geartalkwithjasonklass.com/search/label/Fire%20Starting

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

I got one for Father's day this year and now it sits on my keychain. It's just fun to play with. I didn't own a firesteel before this one so I don't have anything to compare it to but preparation of the tinder bundle is the key to success, or just carry some pjcb's (petroleum jelly cotton balls). Fine stuff like shredded tree bark isn't that hard to get burning.

It takes a bit of practice, and the tiny striker can be a bit of an issue. On one of my first tries, I pushed really hard and the striker cut in the to rod well, so the next weakest link was my thumb-nail. Now I keep them short, but this didn't prevent the striker from bending it backwards deep into the fleshy part of my finger. It was tender for several days after that. That was the only time that happened.

Either way, I'd recommend it to anyone. It's just a neat little gadget to have- that has the potential to save your life.

BM

Tayler Shaeffer
    Spectator

@tshaeffer

Locale: The Great N.W.

Ive had mine for about 6 months and started many fires with it. The spark is smaller than most but the package is as well. The fit and finish is outstanding, great company! Small enough to take with you anywhere, as I do with mine.

Tayler Shaeffer
    Spectator

@tshaeffer

nano striker

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Mine is attached to my whistle and goes on every trip I take now.

http://tinyurl.com/2eb7uoq

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Definitely looks very ninja and sounds very tactical…

But wait…
    Unscrewing the rod, then unscrewing the striker, and then screwing the rod handle on, striking it, and then unscrewing the rod from the handle, and then screwing the striker, rod, and housing back together…

…just to spark a stove?

Did Rube Goldberg build this thing?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

It is a slick, clean design. I would relegate this to backup/emergency use only, not everyday stuff. It looks perfect for keychain/pocket carry. The price really puts me off.

Light My Fire has an upgraded version of the Scout, the Scout 2.0, with a better handle and a much improved striker. It is my choice for my pocket survival keychain, along with a whistle, a Leatherman Style CS mini tool, a Bison spy capsule with Tinder Quick tabs and a Fenix E01 AAA LED flashlight.

Tayler Shaeffer
    Spectator

@tshaeffer

Deleted, reread it today and seemed pretty harsh, didnt mean to be harsh at all. Sorry guys

Piotr Antkowiak

@piotr_antkowiak

Locale: Poland

In my opinion it is just a fancy kind of firesteel. A marketing driven kind. Plain firesteel is cheaper, faster and the same weight (LMF mini). I would like to see you trying to fight with these screws in first stage of hypothermia when it is hardly to operate with you hands. Good luck :P

Tayler Shaeffer
    Spectator

@tshaeffer

Do anything in the first stage of hypothermia, not to mention think! Thats why I deemed it as a backup…

Options are always good.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I'm with Craig. My firesteel is ready to go without any assembly. And it is my backup.

Too expensive. Cute though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools