Topic

PLEASE rename TRIP REPORTS and TRIP ANNOUNCMENTS

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support PLEASE rename TRIP REPORTS and TRIP ANNOUNCMENTS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Dave T

@davet

Hi BPL mods, etc.

There were some discussions about a year and more ago about how to clean up the forums. Not much was done, but there is one (small) change I suggested which I'd like to revisit. Every day people post pre-trip questions, etc. into TRIP REPORTS.

To help make it obvious to all where pre and post trip posts should go, I strongly suggest that BPL reorder and rename a couple of the campfire section forums:

Call them:

PRE-TRIP / HIKING PARTNERS
    POST-TRIP

or
    PRE-TRIP PLANNING / HIKING PARTNERS
    POST-TRIP REPORTS

And put them in this logical order (i.e. pre-trip and THEN post-trip).

Please???

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

+1

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+2

Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Locale: North Carolina

+3 – I'm guilty of pre-planning questions in the Hiking Partners forum :)

Good call.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Just to make it clearer?

Pre-Trip Planning
    Hiking Partners/Group Trip Announcements
    Post-Trip Reports

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

+1 for Mary D's idea.

Dave T

@davet

I am more in favor of FEWER forums than more, but I'd go along with Mary's idea, if only the BPL mods would take action of this. I can't possibly see the problem with AT LEAST reordering them so pre-trip comes before post-trip.

But there's pretty much no forum support, so I suppose I'm not surprised. (One reason I'm not a member.)

Dave T

@davet

BUMP

hello?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Long weekend perhaps.

I would PM Addie. I have had good luck using that method.

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Hey guys!
    Roger's been out walking for the past two months, and he keeps a much closer eye on the forums than I do. Asking for anything WITHIN the forums is a non-starter… but PMing me like Ken said (which someone who hasn't even posted in here finally did) is what got my attention. I'll NEVER intentionally ignore you. EVER.

I'm game to better organizing the forums, but I'm also wary of creating too many. I've seen this particular discussion before (a forum for pre-trip questions separate from the trip reports), but need to figure out what's the most useful. Order isn't any problem (it takes a bit of time on my end, but is otherwise easy to sort), so I guess my question is this: does everyone like Mary's idea bestest of all?

You can weigh in on this forum now. I'm following it and paying attention. :)
    Addie out.

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

I like Mary's idea bestest of all.

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

I like Mary's idea, overall.

If three subforums is too many, perhaps Trip Planning and Trip Announcements/Hiking Partners can go into one section (as Dave T originally suggested), as they're kind of related.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Addie, how interesting that you would post this today! Why, just last night I had a dream …. nee, a vision! In my vision a rather short brown bear with a bit of a belly wearing a CiloGear pack (or it could have been Ryan Jordan with a week-long growth, visions are always a bit fuzzy by nature……) appeared and loudly asked: "Am I a trip report? Am I asking for trip companions?" The bear/Ryan then loudly (visions are also often quite loud by nature……) exclaimed: "You don't know, do you!?! That's because the forums aren't labeled intelligently! Follow the granny, Follow the granny!"

Then it/he turned and vanished into some Jackson Hole bar painted on my wall. Whoa! So immediately I thought: "No more Irish Whisky before bedtime!" Then I fell back asleep, figuring I was just hallucinating. Wouldn't be the first time.

But then I saw your post! So the vision was true! Wow. Well, far be it from me to contradict a vision (even if it wasn't the kind of vision I would have preferred, why can't my visions look like Jennifer Anniston!?), so I'm voting with Mary's idea!

Dave T

@davet

"Asking for anything WITHIN the forums is a non-starter… "

I suppose that begs the question of why there is a FORUM ADMIN & SUPPORT forum in the first place? (One more forum to eliminate!)

That said, I don't like the idea of more forums (there should be fewer), and I think my original request of a PRE-TRIP and POST-TRIP concept would be easiest and cleanest.

Thanks!

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

But I can only be SO amazing. Didn't realize how heavily I leaned on Sam and Roger for forum moderation! I will try to do better.

/hangs head in shame

I cannot work on this particular issue today, since I still have the bigger of two large articles to polish up for publishing later today, the newsletter to craft, and all the internal customer support to answer. But soon, very soon, my pretties. ;)

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

That said, I don't like the idea of more forums (there should be fewer), and I think my original request of a PRE-TRIP and POST-TRIP concept would be easiest and cleanest.

+1 Dave T

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Ah ha!

I'm willing to bet that Douglas Ide is the member who hadn't even posted that PMed Addie!

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

How about a 4th forum category: "Douglas Ide's Visions"?

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

That would be a spiritual experience in and of itself! :)

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

I only had to make one new forum. The other bits were just renaming, reordering, and fine-tuning the descriptions. There's a place for questions, a place for hiking partners, and a place for reports.

It's a good idea, and one I wish we'd done sooner. I'm sorry that it took me being a ding-dong first… but at least it keeps me humble. Ish.

Thanks all!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Thanks Addie. You Rock! Take the rest of the day off with pay.

Dave T

@davet

thanks addie! now if we can only get folks to post pre-trip questions there, instead of in general backpacking or gear or whatever.

you can lead a poster to forums but you can't make them post (properly)!

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

A set of radio buttons would solve the problem.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools