Topic

Solo wood stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Solo wood stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Casey Balza

@equals

Does anyone know where I can buy a ti tri cone….not the kit, just the cone. I already have an alcohol stove and would just like the cone to cut on costs. Unless someone else knows about some awesome wood stoves for the MLD 850 pot.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

The cone needs to fit the pot. They are not one size fits all.

Brian Grossnickle

@bmg

Locale: Wild Wild West

Bush Buddy perhaps.

or a http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/stove.htm could also work with an alcohol stove

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Contact Rand directly at Trail Designs. I'll bet he will work a deal with you.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Casey,

I think you are near or in Portland. You can buy Trail Designs stuff at either Next Adventure or Mountain Shop.

Casey Balza

@equals

I emailed trail designs and they recommended that I use their alcohol stoves with the cone because it is designed to be used with them. I was guaranteed that my alcohol stove would either be snuffed of oxygen or it would get too hot and boil alcohol. So it looks like I would have to get the kit anyways… I'm going to see what other options are out there though first.

Shewie
    BPL Member

@shewie

Locale: UK

I ditched the stove that came with my Caldera cone. I prefer my mini atomic or a couple of other diy alternatives.

I can't see how a different stove can be snuffed out unless there's a perfect seal around the base and there's issues with the vent holes. It's near on impossible to get a seal on the ground using a cone when out in the boondocks.

I'm not sure the ti tri can be much different

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

How about Ikea Stove+Imusa mug or your own pot.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=27176&startat=40

Easy to make, works well and very cheap.

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

I agree with trail designs

I have tried a few other stoves in my cone and they all burn out quickly. I think the enclosed heat causes the alcohol to vaporize and burn faster.

Best results so far have been with their stove.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"I prefer my mini atomic or a couple of other diy alternatives"

Why?

Shewie
    BPL Member

@shewie

Locale: UK

"I prefer my mini atomic or a couple of other diy alternatives"

Why?

Not sure really, although it works well enough I find the standard CC stove is too flimsy, I get a faster boil time with the MA too. It also works better in my Bushbuddy if I carry both on trips and leave the cone at home.

Just personal choice really

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools