Topic

Solution looking for a problem to solve

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Solution looking for a problem to solve

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Rodney OndaRock

@rodneyondarock

Locale: Southern California

Retractable Key Chain

Have a bunch of these lightweight plastic retractable key chains, belt clip, soft plastic snap in. reel cord length 35 in.

They seem they would have a lot of interesting MYOG MUG potential.
    My ideas are kinda lame, and need your ideas.

1) retractable lanyard for map, compass or GPS, so as not to lose when they fall out of pocket or strong wind.

2) some innovative booby-trap to scare the squirrels from messing with your food/gear

3) some trigger / release / recoil poorman alarm (noise maker) system with a few pennies in an altoid tin or an empty soda can. If you are the paranoid type while solo camping and sleeping.

4) some crazy david/goliath sling

5) snare for rodents

6) camelbak hose auto-retractor instead of the dangling hose dribbling on your shirt.

7) an ineffective food bag piñata

8) car key holder… really?

9) hole punch your credit card, not where the magnetic strip is, but near the bottom name embossing, thread the CC into the round keyring. retractable CC, if you are worried a squirrel is going to pick your pocket on a thru hike.

10) Your suggestion goes here.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Automatic zipper closer for hammocks after you get comfortable?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Sell them on E-bay and buy equipment.

Joslyn Bloodworth

@joslynb

Locale: Southwest

First thing I thought was, what do I constantly take in and out of my pocket that I wish I had better access to? That thing is my camera. I think it would be really fun to be able to put my camera on a string like that so I could just whip it out and back. Just my humble idea.

John Julyan-Gudgeon

@cyanide

Locale: Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

So, I was thinking if you had one of those mini pinch-LED lights, or maybe compass, lighter, mini-tool/knife. When not in use, you might be able to rig it inside your shelter to hang your socks at night.

Ben Feldman
    BPL Member

@fenbeldman

Locale: Bay Area

I put a whistle on it and clip it to the shoulder strap of my hiking partner's pack. presto– no more losing said hiking partner.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Retractable clothes line

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Hook it on yer Nalgene cap tether and lower it from a big snowbank into a stream & retrieve it W/ the "Auto-Reel".

Seriousnessly now Jack E., your avatar photo of "a sad Moment in snow" almost makes me cry. I cut my crossing pole a bit (6" or so) and ran it inside my Moment and out thru melted holes in each apex of my end netting to get interior continuous support for the canopy (just in case I got unexpected snow).

I did first reinforce the netting apexes with sewn-on Velcro fuzzy side tape before melting the holes. Then I sewed the sticky Velcro side tape sections at the top end to have a flap of Velcro to cover the holes when not using the crossing pole. And it all WORKS! (Sometimes I'm so smart I make myself sick.)

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

My dSLR has lenses with all the same size lens cap. I use one of these attached to the camera and the end attached to the cap. When I take off the cap I can drop it and it will automatically retract to where it won't block the lens, and I won't lose it.

Tyson Marshall
    BPL Member

@sheepngeese

Locale: Ventura County (formerly PNW)

"Automatic zipper closer for hammocks after you get comfortable?"

that would be so legit… that sounds like the best thing since sliced bread.

bill berklich
    Spectator

@berklich

Locale: Northern Mid-West

I use mine for my compass. And gave the rest to my Scout for theirs. Work Great. Compass is always handy and it doesn't get set down on a rock and left. So… put them up on eBay as "Laynard, Compass, Retractable, Special Forces " you'll make a mint!!

Craig
    BPL Member

@skeets

Locale: Australia

or….. you could stick a small aluminum disc on the front with a picture of a trout on it, and resell them for $30 in a fly fishing shop. Fly fishermen use them for attaching things that you'd other wise drop in the river (e.g. nipper, forceps).

;)

Mike Oxford
    BPL Member

@moxford

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA

Step 1: String them all up end-to-end.
    Step 2: Wrap around obstacle course.
    Step 3: Let go of one end.
    Step 4: Put video on YouTube
    Step 5: ???
    Step 6: Profit!

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Like Craig mentioned, fishermen often have to have little tools in easy reach. Digging in pockets or pack is not a good option sometimes.

Tankara style fishing is popular with many backpackers.
    It's nice to have nippers, fly box, and other tools in easy reach when tying lines, attaching flies, removing hooks, …

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools