Topic

Wild Things Website

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wild Things Website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Thanks, PJ. Maybe its because I use AOL. My browzer settings allow cookies, and also allow pop-ups. Wait, I know! They're jealous of my good looks! Yes, that must be it, they are blocking me because I'm handsomer than any of them, and a multi-faceted genius to boot.

Nigel Sanderson

@onthefells

Locale: The Chilterns and Peak District

Hey…its working for me today…not done anything different but finally got in…now we just need to persuade them to make a super light event waterproof jacket !!!

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Still no Wild Things for me. (The story of my life.) It pulls up a screen with a heading block that says, "Wild Things – home" and in the middle, a "percent loaded," but no number. At the bottom, "(2 items remaining) waiting for http://www.wildthingsgear.com/
    and then it just stalls there. I was going yo buy every BPL member a SPECTRA cloth pack, but now…

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Robert,

i don't really have a clue as to what's happening on your end. Some of he following are some temporary but risky suggestions just to see if any of these is causing a problem:

1. try a different Browser (make sure to install the latest Flash Player for that browser).

2. if you are using a home LAN with a router, connect your PC directly to the modem, thus bypassing the router just to make sure that the router firewall isn't somehow introducing a problem.

3. turn off your software firewall – if you are using one, e.g. ZoneAlarm (which i use) or the Windows "Fireball" (which i don't know much about). don't forget to turn it back on after attempting to connect to WildThingsGear.com

4. play with your Browser's security and/or privacy features. make sure, just for this attempt, that your browser accepts all cookies of all types. also, reduce the security settings. you can either do it gradually or all at once and gradually increase security settings if you can connect in an unsecure fashion.

this is why i said risky. i've done this before when troubleshooting without a problem, but i'm always hesitant to do so.

BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY OF THE ABOVE SUGGESTIONS use MSBackup to make a copy of your "System State" before doing this, or, better yet, using "imaging" software (PowerQuest Drive Image or Symantec Ghost, for instance) BEFORE attempting to connect.

that way, in the event of "infection", etc., you can easily return to a pre-infection state w/o having to go through the hassle of reinstalling and then reconfiguring all your software.

Nigel Sanderson

@onthefells

Locale: The Chilterns and Peak District

Robert, what you describe is exactly the same as was happening to me before I followed PJ and others advice re the latest version of acrobat. After I installed that nothing changed on the first day but the second day everything was fine!!

paul johnson

@pj

Nigel,

Was the change in behavior attributable to something as simple rebooting your computer after updating Flash Player?

BTW, John was the first to mention that WT uses Flash (who could tell if one can't get to the website?!!!) and Roger first confirmed that updating Flash worked for him. I merely followed in their footsteps.

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Thanks for all your hard work, PJ, but I just re-booted my computer and got the same stall-out. Thanks for the tips, (I already allow all cookies) but why should I endanger my hard drive, THEY are the ones who should jump through hoops for the customer. I already own the Spectra Andinista, (that cloth is TOUGH) and don't think I'll need anything else. I want to assure everyone that although PJ will bend over backward to help anyone, he is not [word deleted by the censor program]. At least he doesn't kiss like he's [word deleted by the censor program], he kisses like a real man!

paul johnson

@pj

Robert, i think i'll change my avatar so i can use the words "It's clobberin' time!"

[Brett B., you're good at finding pics. quick, i need a pic of the Thing.]

On a more serious note, Robert, think "Boyscouts".

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

This is what happens when people decide to code an entire site in Flash… navigation and all. It can be done… but you have to code a "downgrade" version for people without Flash. It's an extraordinarily bad idea for a site that is trying to sell stuff to make a site that requires Flash and breaks without Flash.

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

PJ: Am I getting too far into Sat. Night Live, when I should be thinking Sat morning cartoons?

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

pj, sorry for the delay. pic as requested. But I think it is best just to send that site one email and wait for them to change
    hulk=pj

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> This is what happens when people decide to code an entire site in Flash… navigation and all.

I tried connecting to their web site and bingo, up it came no worries. NO flash visible.

Aha! There on the left hand side: 'Welcome to wild things and thanks for visiting. We are happy to release our updated web site …"

Maybe they heard all of you guys?
    I do have to say that few things seem as stupid as a web site designer who won't listen to customers who complain that the web site does not work – except for the guy who employs him.

Cheers

paul johnson

@pj

Robert

Roger that.

David, Roger

Agreed. Bad Form on both counts. Maybe it's their way of making sure that demand doesn't exceed their ability to supply? Business must be good!

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

PJ: No worries, Mate, I'm as juvenile as they come:
    “Do you know the difference between boogers and broccoli? The difference is that Cub Scouts won’t eat broccoli.”
    As for Wild Things, I just tried them, Same-O, Same-O.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools