Topic

Wild Things Website

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wild Things Website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Nigel Sanderson

@onthefells

Locale: The Chilterns and Peak District

I haven't been able to get into this for a while now. Is it just me or has anyone else had the same problem?

Cheers

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Nigel,

It has been quite a while for me also.

However, also determined the day i first experienced the problem with FireFox that if i used IE instead, i had no problem loading their webpages. I haven't tried using IE to connect to their website in a while though. This problem isn't unique to the WildThings website.

EDIT:
    just tried with IE. no go.

here's some contact info for Wild Things

64 Hobbs Street
    Conway 03818, NH, US
    p: 603-447-6907

Greg Vaillancourt

@gsv45

Locale: Utah

Works fine for me. Firefox 2 @ 4:49 pm MST

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

For me the web site works on a PC but not on a Mac.

I used IE with the PC and tried Safari, Firefox and IE with a Mac.

Roger

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I have a Mac running Safari and it opened at the URL below for me. It is open now as I type this.

Wild Things

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Thanks Bill

Not for me on a mac (using your link), so I assume it is a Java (or something else) issue.

Bill what version of Safari are you using? Mac OS?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Works for me using Safari 1.3.2 on G4 Powerbook with OS X 10.3.9

paul johnson

@pj

Bill,

same URL i use. no go for me from FireFox or IE.

checked the DNS my connection is utilizing at this point in time and it knows how to resolve the server to an TCP/IP address. can also PING the server (so lower level networking seems to be working fine to that server), but higher level networking is NG in my case.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

Working for me on Firefox 1.5.0.8 and IE 7.0
    Also tried it from a proxy (Megaproxy) that blocks javascript and it died using Firefox.

I did notice some malaise on several different websites today, where the graphics were having a problem.

MikeB

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Doesn't work for me either. I'm using Safari 2.0.4 and Mac OS X 10.4.8.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Sorry, I have been playing with my new external frame. I have been trying to fit my G6 to it.

I am using Mac OS 10.3.9 also. Safari ver 1.3.2

D T
    BPL Member

@dealtoyo

Locale: Mt Hood

Using PC with Netscape 8.1 seems to be working just fine.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

All links on the site are in macromedia flash. I have player 8 that works for it. Check your flash player also?

paul johnson

@pj

>>"macromedia flash"

v9 (works fine on MazdaUSA.com)

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Thanks John

Installed the latest version of Adobe Flash Player (ver 9.0.r28) on my Intel Mac and Wild Things Website works fine.

I did have an older version 9 installed.

paul johnson

@pj

Roger, i had v9,0,16,0 installed – NG

installed the latest v9,0,28,0 – WT works fine now. BTW, a swift and painless install.

Many thanks to all who helped here.

Nigel Sanderson

@onthefells

Hi PJ, following my economics lesson can you give me a p.c. lesson? We have adobe acrobat on our pc but I've no idea what version it is. How do I install the version you have installed? do I have to pay for it?

Cheers Nigel

paul johnson

@pj

Nigel,

i can tell you how i went about performing the installation after reading John's and Roger's posts.

[Note: You can skip some of the following procedure. Just click on the LAST LINK in this Post if you want, but you might want to read the entire Post first.]

i went to a website that i knew used Flash. in my case i went to

http://www.mazdausa.com LINK

then i right clicked on the Flash display area (typically whatever car/advertisement appears in the top-center of the display) and select the "About…" context sensitive pop-up menu choice.

in my browser, a new tab was opened and the following WEBPAGE is loaded.

look on the page. it shows in an outlined box what version you currently have installed. below is a table for various platforms listing what the latest appropriate version available is.

if you don't have the latest appropriate version for your platform installed, you need to look very carefully in order to locate the carefully disguised "Player Download Center" hyperlink in the second text paragraph just above the table listing the platforms and version.

Here's a link to make it a bit easier

i just clicked that link, then clicked the "Download Now" button, and saved the installer to my hard drive. then, i ran the installer and voila' – near instant update; fast and painless.

after installing (can't remember if i restarted my Browser, but i think i did – drat this "old-timers"), i loaded the Bookmark i have to WildThings[gear].com and it worked fine.

hope this info helps. Post back if you have any problems. hopefully, someone more helpful than i will be able to assist you.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

And if Pj's description gets lost in translation a quick visit to here should solve the problem

Nigel Sanderson

@onthefells

Guys, thanks for all the advice I installed the version you suggested and it was easy…the only thing is I still can't get into their website. Our pc is pretty old with an old version of Microsoft Windows on, could that be the problem? Thing is I haven't had a problem with any other website.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

As a mac user I can't comment on your particular issue. But software could well be the problem. I assume you are using IE maybe trying Firefox browser may work. I also wonder if the Flash Player was loaded as a Plug In into your current browser.

Having said all that Check the Mazda website that PJ suggested and see if your browser works ok. If it does then I would try firefox and see if that makes a difference.

Are you running the latest IE version?

Best I can suggest at the moment.

paul johnson

@pj

You might try upgrading just your browser. Try Firefox.

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I haven't been able to get in for half a year, even though I have Adobe Flash Reader 9.0.28.0. I have Windows XP with Service Pack 2 running on a Gateway 505, Pentium 4, at 3 GHz, and 1GB of RAM. I called Wild Things, and the guy on the phone said he could get in with his computer, so it must be my fault. I guess they don't actually want to sell products.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

When I was in North Conway in July the person on the desk said that they had issues with their website. So I suspect yours and others problem is that they have a particular setting on their web pages that affects your web page loading.

I suspect the problem is very subtle and requires you, or others, to make a very small change to your browser. But as you said they don't want to sell to the masses, just those whose browser works with their web pages.

Having said that they do have nice gear, maybe it is better if the page does not load, that way you can save money : ).

paul johnson

@pj

I've contacted WT and let them know about my experience and that others, who are really anxious to spend their hard earned cash on some top-notch gear, are still having problems.

I'll let y'all know if i hear back from them.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools