Topic

BPLRank v0.1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 51 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    John Beisner
    Spectator

@trtlrock

Locale: Blue Ridge

Well, that scuttles my theory then!

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

"Welllll, my rank just dropped from close to 4.0 down to 0.6 overnight, just because I didn't renew my membership"

That does stink. But who cares about rankings anyway? I certainly don't.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

BTW, not sure of my exact join date, but I have 1962 posts on the forums, plus 29 reader reviews, and one on-line BPL article to date. I would like to think a proportion of them were somewhat helpful….rank 0.6 since not renewing my membership a few weeks ago. I think the ranking algorithm is very broken and should be abandoned. Join date and number + type of contributions would be much more helpful to other members IMHO.

A. B.

@tomswifty

They should just close off the forums to non-premium members. See how well that goes.

I can't see how paying for a membership should have any bearing on the worthiness of someones comment.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

There does seem to be a coercive element which leaves a bit of an aftertaste.

Lynn, FWIW I will mentally add four to your rank whenever I view your profile. But who bothers to view profiles anyway? As I said to Jack, at least the rank isn't displayed with your avatar on every post. The day that happens I'll be leaving.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I renewed my membership 3 weeks before it was going to expire and purchased some gear from BPL last week….What is a good standing member to do?

David Ure

@familyguy

"Thanks David-I digress."

Arghhh – stop it. You are now at 2.99!!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Sorry David, I know there are much more important things going on in the world.. But I feel just a little cheated or things will just be swept under the carpet… This website is fun-I enjoy it..But really whats up? Ok- I am done really!

David Ure

@familyguy

Hey Jay – I am just fooling around.

What surprises me is that no one from BPL has commented on the questions posed. Of course, this has been a regular approach for a couple of years now. I miss the days when Ryan would post every day.

Ah well.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

"I miss the days when Ryan would post every day."

Well he must be doing something…BPL rank now 6.06

Maybe he stole mine, or has a double membership ;)

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Jay (and others),

Last night I couldn't sleep, and then it hit me like a bolt of lightning. Jay's lower than expected ranking must be explained by BPL's ranking algorithm including a…

SPELL CHECKER

I wonder which BPL member's "issues" will wake me up tonight?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Chris W and David U…you guys gave me a good laugh today. :)

Jay: If it makes you feel any better, I think my rank is frozen in time. It hasn't gone down but I don't think it has gone up either. Not even my renewed membership can boost it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Dean, I'm surprised you need to know a rank to work out how much notice you should take of other's opinions. ;-)"

He's in the army, Rog. ;}

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

I retired from the Army spending 4 years as a SGT and 20+ as an officer and now work in a behavioral health clinic in an Army hospital. I can tell you, without a doubt that rank does not necessarily equate to wisdom. In fact Military and intelligence usually do not mix well.
    Mike

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

OOPS double post.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Casey-Thanks for pointing out my incorrect spelling ..Thank goodness for spell check– Which I did not use to much in the past… I am good too go Dude!!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Now you just need to work on to,two and too. lol

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

>> I can tell you, without a doubt that rank does not necessarily equate to wisdom. In fact Military and intelligence usually do not mix well.

Well. As a fellow mustang who used to work in intelligence, I simply do not know how to respond to that. :o)

>> Dean, I'm surprised you need to know a rank to work out how much notice you should take of other's opinions.

Obviously, Rog, another person's opinion has value in direct proportion to how well it coincides with mine. :o)

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

OK, for a 15$ renewal fee I decided to find out just what membership is worth in terms of rank…sooooo I was at a rank of 0.62 before rejoining, and the day after I rejoined I went up to 4.07!!! So my membership was worth 3.45 rank points. So much for rank=wisdom, unless you consider joining BPL as exhibiting a lot of wisdom ;)

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Don't you feel better now Lynn
    "Everything in its right place"

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Lynn, I'm somehow very happy to once again see a big red M next to your good name. That you are one of us, and didn't dump us for some antipodal extremist group with intentions of terror (like mystically making northern hemisphere backpacks heavier or something…). But I didn't really care about the M much, since I've appreciated your meaningful posts all this time. Now we need to see how long it takes for you to get to 5.0. I think we should place bets…

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Gary, I am humbled by your appreciation. I don't care about my rank at all, it's just a curiosity that I suspect BPL got stuck with when they chose this forum software. I think we can all spot a troll without even looking at things such as rank, and many newcomers to BPL have contributed valuable insights to our discussions.

"That you are one of us, and didn't dump us for some antipodal extremist group with intentions of terror (like mystically making northern hemisphere backpacks heavier or something…)."

Well now that you've cornered me, I have to confess to our little plot to convert all the water north of the equator into heavy water, while increasing the earth's gravitational pull in the same region, but you will be relieved to know that we have run into technical difficulties and probably won't be able to pull it off for a few more years. In the mean time, our plot to reverse global warming in North America will ensure that you all have to carry a lot more clothing than we do. It should also promote more tourism and therefore economic growth in this region. We will become the new super power BWAHAHAHA!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Oh, Lynn, we should have known that you folks weren't to be trusted. I mean, you offer such superb and gentle Kiwi hospitality, and then you figure out a way to alter the local magnetic field so that we have to buy new compasses when we trek there. Now this heavy water/heavy gravity/heavy clothing bit.

But you'd better hurry. I currently have my final prototype of a mass-altering sphero-helioid deuterium retropump sitting on a bench in my basement lab, ready to do a beta test in the field. I'm thinking Nebraska. Then you guys, if you don't play nice.

Anyway, thanks for the postings, the insights, and the grins (and the M–we must support Ryan et. al. however we can–BPL is good for us all). You're a good one, Lynn. And by the way, "economic growth" is overrated. Keep Doubtful Sound pure.

Viewing 23 posts - 51 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools