Topic

Best backpacking hat?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best backpacking hat?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I've been looking for a replacement for my REI Taku baseball cap since it shrunk in the wash. I was sad to learn they don't exist anymore.
    Waterproof, breathable, fit my head right, and was not black. (black hats make my head overheat in the sun).

I liked the waterproof breathable part mostly because it didn't absorb odors. You could dip it in the river for a quick rinse and it would be clean again.

What does everyone else use and why?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If you like baseball-style hats, the Outdoor Research Sun Runner is a classic. http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/sun_runner_cap.html. The neck cape unsnaps.

The Nike Dri-FIT Featherlite cap is a good baseball style cap that works for hiking– excellent wivking and comes in white. http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-87184/pgid-107068. I think I paid ~$12 for one.

If you want a neck cape, tie a cord to the corners of a white bandana and you'll have a poor man's Sun Runner. The cord stops on the bill of the cap. Adjust to suit.

But *real* hikers wear Tilleys. There is no other hat :)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

But *real* hikers wear Tilleys. There is no other hat :)

Ugh. Don't count me into that group. I'm a *real* hiker and wouldn't be caught dead in one. good if you want to look like a grandfather, or look like you are wearing his hat. Brim is too small for that SoCal sun.

Don't forget to look at the Sunday Afternoons hats either. Another fashion statement that has its cult of followers.

I do see a fair number of those OR Sun Runners too.

I have a super long billed baseball styled cap with a removable shade cape. Got it at a bait/gift shop in Florida.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

+1 on the Tilley!
    Hey, you gotta have SOME style, lol.

Dennis Lloyd
    BPL Member

@dennx

I like my ExOfficio Bugsaway Cape Hat. It comes in light colors.

ExOfficio Bugsaway Hat

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I like the OR Sunrunner. Mine has a permanent reddish hue though thanks to the red rock in Utah. It started out white.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

+1 for Sunday Afternoon Hat

Large Wide Brim
    Dark Color Underneath the Hat
    Back of Neck Protected from Sun and Bugs
    2 oz!

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

>> good if you want to look like a grandfather, or look like you are wearing his hat.

It's true; I look terrible in a Tilley. But I like mine so much I don't care. After all, I don't have to look at myself on the trail. :P

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I've been wearing my trusty boonie hat for years now. $10 at the surplus store. Keep the rain and sun off.

I admit it looks dorky. But I've embraced the dorkiness and call it my Dorky Sun Hat. :)

Jake Willits
    BPL Member

@trailsavvy

Locale: Arkansas Ozarks

Thanks for the good ideas in this thread. I have always used different hats for different trips. I have made a gradual transition. The last cotton item to leave my gear list was a cotton ball cap. They just always felt comfortable. For summer trips I now use an OR Swift cap. 2.5 oz. Nylon, with mesh underneath the nylon upper shell. Nice and cool. After having to use my bandanna for nexk protection from UV and mosquitos, I'd consider an OR hat with a "cape".
    For winter, I have been using a Marmot Precip, combined with a Terramar merino beanie. That way I can remove beanie as it warms up, or the "top hat".

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

If your pack is small you can't beat a white straw Stetson.

John Coyle

@bigsac

Locale: NorCal

This is an interesting question because there are many good hiking hats out there. I have to be careful to get adequate coverage from a hat because my grandparents were Irish and I inherited a very light skin. Let's face it, I glow in the dark. Another priority is being able to fold or roll it up for storage when I am not using it. The Tilley hat has great coverage, but I have two problems with it. It is too expensive and it can't be rolled up. In the summer I carry two hats; a Headsweats Racehat, which is a ball cap, and a cotton bucket style hat. The coverage of a ball cap in the sun is not adequate for me, so I only use it to wear under a hood when it rains. A person could go Foreign Legion and tie up a handkerchief and put the ball cap over it to shield the neck and face. The gardeners and field workers around here do that all the time, and they should know, because they're out in the hot California sun all day. I bought the bucket hat at the Santa Cruz Surf Museum, and appropriately it says "Santa Cruz Surf Museum" on it. Kind of cool even though I am not a surfer. It was cheap, is 100% cotton, has good coverage, and can be rolled up. There are many similar hats in Walmart and Target stores, and even REI. http://www.rei.com/search?query=bucket+hats&button.x=62&button.y=14 I like a light colored cotton hat in the summer. When I reach a stream, I dunk it in the water for the "swamp cooler" effect. Keep in mind this in my summer headgear. No way would I wear a cotton hat in the winter. Slainte! (Irish for cheers)

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

In summer or any warm weather, I wear the Tyvek painter's cap from Home Depot: $.97 and they hold up surprisingly well. They have a large plastic brim to keep the sun off.

Most other seasons, especially in winter, I wear a Buff with a brim, Evo 1, because it can be configured as a cap, a balaclava, an ear warmer, a headband, etc. Also, they are not made of cotton, so they wick extremely well. A standard Buff will do the same things, of course, but I like the brim.

Stargazer

David Ure

@familyguy

I use a full brimmed hat – Outdoor Research Helios. It provides enough coverage that I don't have to apply sunscreen to my face / ears nor to I need sunglasses. It dries really fast and is great for soaking up creek water and then wearing it to cool down. 2.3oz. YMMV.

Bryan Crook

@bcrook007

Locale: Nebraska

I'm a big fan of Outdoor Research hats. They have a lot of different types of hats to choose from and many different styles (ball caps, full brim, etc.)

Helios Sun Hat is a winner for me too. Seems to be my go-to hat for sunny day, three season hiking.

Wayne Wagner

@wagnerw

Locale: NorCal

The OR Coastal Sombrero is great. I think it was designed to mimic the OR Seattle Sombrero, but it is not as warm. So, it will work much better in warmer, hotter times and still function as a great rain hat in other times. The hat does not have the ability to fold the flaps up, but I will likely add some velcro to make that possible. Notably, it does seem to breathe well enough as well; it has a vent near the back of your head.

I also own the OR Sun Runner and like it just fine. The only drawback is that I don't like having fabric on my neck when it is hot. I'd much prefer the large brim of the Coastal Sombrero.

Wayne

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Another vote for the OR Sunrunner – it's a ball cap when you want it to be and when you need the extra sun protection the sun skirt snaps on. Also it packs up very small and can go in your pack with no worries about damaging it. I've had mine for 5-6 years now and still in great shape with tons of use.

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

I just use a regular ball cap with a bandana tucked under to provide cover for my neck and ears. And it didn't cost me $30 like the OR hat I saw at REI.

billy goat
    BPL Member

@billygoat

Locale: West.

I wear a Sun Runner. The rest I use for birth control. Try it – it works.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I love my Kavu Chilba hat.

kavu

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

niiice!

how ya been jack?

I wear this one, love it! and it's eVent which is nice when you come by a stream in the heat :
    http://www.rei.com/product/820738/rei-airflyte-cap

not the new version that has weird gussets in the front:
    http://www.rei.com/product/790907/rei-airflyte-cap-with-event-fabric

Rodney OndaRock

@rodneyondarock

Locale: Southern California

REI has the Hat for 25 bones, you can wait for their sale to get 30% off. Campmor and Big5 also carry it
    Columbia Omni-Shade Bora Bora Booney

http://www.rei.com/product/778057/columbia-omni-shade-bora-bora-booney-hat

it comes in grey, beige, and white colors, while the bright white reflects the most light, it doesn't blend in with the outdoors colors, I have been happy with the beige for many years.

wide brim covers the back of the neck, and enough front shade to cover my adam's apple. it is a one-size fits all, with an adjustable bungee. it feels weird at first, but when you find the right tension for you, its good. (too tight is too much)

the forehead part is breathable mesh. I wash it in the shower with soap.

I did modify a little bit by adding a long plastic stiff line on the outter brim, so it doesn't turn into an old ladies floppy hat, and now its more taut like a park ranger's hat.

been happy with the same hat for 5 years

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

And for a really nerdy look, the faux pith helmet, worn by letter carriers. Not only does it protect from the sun, it has excellent ventilation and makes an excellent rain hat. Is that you, Livingstone?

Letter Carrier's sun helmet

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Bandannas or polyester and merino wool buffs for me.

My favorite hiking "hat"

My bandannas are the extra large 27" x 27" variety and come from TheBandanaStore.com .

I am currently using a white polyester buff during my summer day hikes and I have a "Kaky" colored (read OD green) merino wool buff that I use during the cooler months.

I've tried caps and hats and none of them do the trick for me. I find all of them uncomfortable and hot when it is warm. I can sweat through a bandanna or buff and enjoy the cooling effect of a breeze while I am hiking.

BTW my oversize bandannas sell for $2.50 each and serve all of the multiuse duties that have been discussed on BPL in past threads.

Party On,

Newton

T kawa

@kitsune

now I have a columbia bora hat, it works well, the ventilation is nice compared to my old helios hat (lost at pinnacles, hope someone found it and used it=)… but now I think i'll get a kavu chilba and get in touch with my roots…. teehee.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools