Topic

Coming Soon: Tarptent StratoSpire

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Coming Soon: Tarptent StratoSpire

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 204 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

One and two person double walled shelters. They look like they will have excellent floor space and the trekking poles stay out of the shelter where they belong (some recent designs from other manufacturers ignore this feature).

Henry has been busy!

http://tarptent.com/sneakpeek.html

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

David Ure

@familyguy

No – Franco is the de-facto expert on Tarptent.

But he is still sleeping…..

Clive Ockenden

@cliveockenden

Locale: Tas, Australia

Its time we changed the name to TarpTent StratoShire

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I am awake now…
    Here is a pic of each shelter:
    TT SS1
    TT SS2
    After fiddling with the concept for four or five years, Henry finally nailed a design for the double that he was happy with a few months ago ant then within a few weeks period came up with the solo version.
    If you look at the Bug Net only set up you can see that they are a rather large solo as well as a large double.
    Having the pole offset as well as taking advantage of our Pitch Lock corner, results in plenty of headroom sitting up as well as laying down.
    A modular system allowing fly or inner only or both together.
    Franco

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Finally! I've been looking forward to Henry coming up with something new and it is exactly what I'm interested in. BUt they look huge! Wonder how storm worthy they are? Or maybe they're not designed for that? Do you know how tall the shelter is at the apex of the trekking poles?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

All of the specs are posted .
    The solo is 48" high, the duo 50".
    To understand the shelters it is a lot easier if you look at the animated 3D clip (in the video page) as well as the Show Dimensions drawings in the specs page.
    The are large shelters but the total footprint (including internal and external guylines) is smaller than many of the other pole supported shelters.
    For the ones that do not use trekking poles , dedicated poles will be available soon.
    TT SS2 floor plan
    TT SS1 floor plan
    Franco

Karen Kennedy
    BPL Member

@karenk

Locale: NE NSW - Australian subtropics

This looks great, the net tent alone option is great for a warm weather setup – perfect for our climate 75% of the time.

Well done Henry!

KK

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My caption says it all.

Question: How will it do in a windstorm?

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

Very nice design, but I still like the freestanding option with my Rainbow.

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

They look really good to me. Tons of internal space.

Maybe I am looking at the website wrong, but does it post weights for the tarp and net-tent portions separately?

Daniel Smith

@scissor

What is the height of the tent on the opposite side (parallel) of the trekking pole?
    My concern is that if 2 people used it they would have to sleep opposite directions.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

+1 on the question of sleeping head to toe.

The 2 sets of short corner support poles are diagonally opposed to each other (i.e. LF and RR). That would imply that overhead clearance is not equal across the ends of the shelter. To wit, when viewed end-on, clearance decreases from the supported corner (LF) to the adjacent one (RF).

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but that's the impression I get, even though Henry's diagram shows both sleeping bags head to head.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Here is a diagram which I hope helps answer your question. The short answer is you can sleep either end. The interior door will open to the larger triangle side of the support pole. Due to the steepened walls and expanded/diagonal ridgeline there is noticeably more headroom and footroom in this design vs a standard A-frame with equivalent footprint.

Tarptent StratoSpire Design

David Ure

@familyguy

Is it me or does this design border or sheer brilliance?

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

It sure is a unique and creative design, kind of a Mid with full use of space, looks like it will shed wind and light snow well, good shelter for people with dogs.

Really interested in weight without the inner and the pricing.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

It also appears that the vestibules will come almost to the ground if desired.

R S

@rps76

Anyone know the price? Can I preorder now?

Say Raow

@lordrasov

"kind of a Mid with full use of space"

That's what I thought when I saw the first picture. It looks like everything I wanted my Duomid + inner to be after using it with another person for two weeks.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

Nice tent! Wish it came in Cuben, though.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Daniel Smith

@scissor

"The short answer is you can sleep either end."

Without crawling around on the entry/exit?

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

I don't understand. You enter/exit adjacent to either support pole (at the highest point). I would encourage you to look at the photos and rotation animation.

Daniel Smith

@scissor

"You enter/exit adjacent to either support pole (at the highest point)."

That is my concern. It seems that in order for 2 to sleep adjacent, one would have to enter with their feet pointed to the smaller end, and then do a turn around crawl to be pointed the same direction as the other person? In other words both people can't sit up in the same direction. Entry/exit for one person of the two seems troublesome.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

I have no actual tent-making experience, but this is similar to some of the offset pole tent designs I have been drawing up in Google SketchUp.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 204 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools