Topic

Best mosquito headnet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best mosquito headnet

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Paul Ettestad
    BPL Member

@ettestad

I'm going to be hiking the Bechler River in YNP in a couple of weeks and because of all the winter precip there the mosquitoes are likely to be numerous. Since I can't get a BPL mosquito headnet any longer I'd like to get suggestions for the best commercial mosquito headnet, hopefully one with good visibility. I'll be wearing a wide brimed Tilley hat so I want something that will fit over that.

Paul

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Bob Salcedo

@baughb

Locale: So Cal.

Not being gram conscience; I got one at REI for about 5 bucks, it fit over my Tilley and tucks in my shirt easily. Has lasted for 4 years although I use it pretty rarely but, love it when I need it.

Bob

Ryan Bressler
    BPL Member

@ryanbressler

I have the seat to summit head net. It works, I can sea through it and it is relatively light and compact (no metal ring) and cheap.

Rick Horne
    BPL Member

@rick778

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell

+1 on the Sea to Summit.
    Just used it up at Tuolumne Meadows where the mosquitoes were veracious and it worked great.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Mine has elastic to go under you arm pits. I like that because it keeps the bottom of the net nailed down.

I'm sure you can retrofit headnets without the elastics easily.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Another + 1 to the S2S head net. I am happy with mine and it only weighs in at 0.7 oz without the stuff sack.

Justin Reigle
    BPL Member

@jreigle

Locale: SF Bay area

Yet another +1 for the sea to summit net. Fits perfect on my Tilley hat or just worn over my face sleeping out on buggy nights.

Though… if I didn't have it I'd almost certainly be in for getting one of these lighter ones Peter is making.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

It's not fancy or expensive, but Coghlans makes my favourite headnet. Yup Coghlins, as in the cheap brand you find at Wal-Mart and hardware stores. I picked mine up at Walmart for $1.99 (MSRP is $2.28). It weighs 15.8g. It's simple and nicely sized with a bit of elastic at the bottom. I've owned headnets that costed 10x as much, but I like this one best. I guess I'll just say it….my $25 MLD headnet with the armpit elastics (or using it without) just doesn't stay away from my face nearly as well as the coghlans one does. The MLD one is all over my face, while the Coghlans one works super nicely with my OR Seattle Sombrero hat and pretty much never touches my face.

Coghlans sells three different headnets:
    – mosquito headnet
    – no-see-um headnet
    – fancy headnet with a metal ring

I strongly prefer just the simple mosquito headnet unless black flies are a huge problem, then you need a no-see-um one but I really hate those so I'd probably just slather on deet. Mosquito netting is far easier to live with than no-see-um netting. It doesn't affect your vision nearly as much and it doesn't get as clammy/hot inside.

coghlans

Eli .

@feileung

I bought 4 from Peter V. In the Swap forum (linked by Anna above). They're much bigger than the coughlins and rigid enough to maintain form while moving (not stiff but not floppy). I also appreciate that they're nearly invisible (similar to S2S but bigger). They're significantly more expensive than the coughlins but they fit me better and the visibility is way better. Peter also provides a " send it back when it wears out and I'll send you another one free" warranty that is much appreciated.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Decided to administer CPR to this decade old thread. What’s the best bug headnet available now? Or, best for mosquitos, and best for no-see-ums? I’ve heard good things Peter Vacco’s Simblissity headnets, but don’t thing they’re available now, and have heard good things about S2S. I had a regular Coghlans which I misplaced but never compared it with anything else.

Also would you suggest one that’s permethrin treated or not? S2S comes in Insect Shield and plain versions.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

S2S Insect Shield version.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

If you can find a Simblissity, they are excellent. Delicate, yes, and the large mesh won’t stop noseeums, but that airy tulle fabric lets breezes through which normal mosquito netting definitely does not. Your vision is barely affected to boot. If you have access to a sewing machine that can do delicate fabrics, tulle mesh is very inexpensive and you could make your own.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Yeah the Simblissity is the best I’ve used. I like the cut of MLD’s but I find the tulle more pleasant to see and breathe through.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

The best head net is myog. Get some black tulle and make it yourself. Make a tube with a drawstring on top. Sew a small hair band to your hat at the top and push the cord lock of your drawstring through it to hold the net in place on your head. You can actually see through tulle. You can see the stars at night through it. You can’t see through noseeum. The sun shines on it and you’re blind. You can’t see the stars. Tulle obviously isn’t noseeum netting but it will work against flies and mosquitoes.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I get the $2 versions that sell at our local grocery stores. I think they might be Coghlan’s? And probably more expensive now. I bought tons when they were cheap. They work great. Never had a problem seeing through them, and they keep out our smallest biters.

I have a “bug shirt” too, and that’s the brand. If you’re really in thick bugs, there’s nothing better than a real Bug Shirt. When we’re picking berries in the fall, and the black flies are really chomping, netting is critical. They’ll go right under your clothes.

Rob
    BPL Member

@grubbster

I have made a few with tulle and found another great use for them that I have not seen mentioned.  As a glasses wearer I hate those early morning spider webs that seem to be everywhere at certain times of the year.  Nothing worse than getting those on your glasses as they don’t just wipe off.  A bug net is just the ticket to keep the webs and their makers off your face.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

+1 on the Sea to Summit.  I like that the netting is soft.  The Coughlin’s (at least the one I bought) was stiff and irritated my neck if I needed it while hiking.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

All depends on the size hat you may or may not be trying to cover or if you have a really big or really tiny head or a tenny tiny kitten nose.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Thank you for the helpful suggestions. And I appreciate the MYOG suggestions for black tulle. I’m fairly handy but don’t know how to use a sewing machine yet and I’m afraid it may be more of a project than I have time for now, so would get an off-the-shelf one and attempt a MYOG one later. I was planning to pick up the Sea to Summit but the Litesmith looks good too. Link have you tried the Litesmith headnet? How does it compare with others?

Ron good point about hat size. I almost always use a wide-brim hat (3-3.5 in. brim).

A headnet is one of those things that you don’t need often, but when you do and don’t have it you’re absolutely miserable.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

The step beyond needing a head net is needing gloves which we experienced once, on a family trip here on the Kenai during a summer universally acknowledged as the worst in the last quarter century and second worst since the 1950s by homesteaders.

In the 1980’s, we got various army-surplus head nets in at the backpacking store.  The ones from the British Army had a stitched slit (like a button hole) for one’s pipe stem.

I like a collared shirt (for many reasons, including) neck protection and something to tuck the head net under.  For me, it’s always a 100% nylon fishing shirt with generous chest pockets.

I once did a side-by-side (well, leg-to-leg) comparison of lemon eucalyptus repellent versus DEET and the lemon eucalyptus did distinctly better.

When I survey people’s backs, dark clothing gets 4-6 times as many mosquitos as light colors.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

I also prefer collared shirts in summer weather (highly recommend a nylon/poly blend, like the Patagonia Sun Stretch Shirt, as they are more breathable than full nylon), and try never to wear dark or black shirts. I also always wear hiking pants not shorts. Some of my ankle bites are probably due to dark socks.

I’m wondering if sun gloves would block mosquito bites.

Lemon Eucalyptus sounds like it’s worth a shot.

Mosquitos are attracted to CO2, certain pheromones in sweat, dark color, certain blood types, etc. The strangest bite pattern I’ve ever seen is: a friend who had about 30 bites all over her face while four people in the same shelter with her barely received a bite each.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

“I’m wondering if sun gloves would block mosquito bites.”

No. Thin fabric, woven or knit, does not deter mosquitoes, if it’s close to your skin as sun gloves are.

Deet. After a cheap headnet to keep you from losing your mind, deet is awesome. I watched a fellow hiker tout the amazing capacity of lemon eucalyptus for deterring mosquitoes, and watched her apply  it again and again every 15-20 minutes. I applied deet and didn’t need to do anything again that day.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

The strangest bite pattern I’ve ever seen is: a friend who had about 30 bites all over her face while four people in the same shelter with her barely received a bite each.

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/22/1130725600/its-not-your-imagination-researchers-say-some-people-really-are-mosquito-magnets

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools